1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

On par with or cheaper than competitors

[​IMG]
    Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.

Disney will offer a bundle package of its three streaming services — Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ — for $12.99 a month starting on November 12th, the company announced today.

The company previously hinted at a bundle for all three services, but CEO Bob Iger made it official during the company’s investors call today. At $12.99, the bundle is cheaper than or on par with competitive streaming services, including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It’s also significantly cheaper than HBO Max’s rumored streaming price of $16 or $17 a month. Hulu is currently available for $5.99 a month (with ads), and ESPN+ costs .

ESPN+ is the Disney-owned sports streaming platform, which carries “hundreds of MLB, NHL and MLS games, Grand Slam tennis, Top Rank boxing, PGA Tour golf, college sports, international rugby, cricket, the full library of ESPN Films including 30 for 30, and more.” It’s also now the streaming destination for UFC fights, which Disney no doubt hopes can make up for the lack of SportsCenter and other banner shows from ESPN the cable network.

The bundle will include the standard, ad-supported tier of Hulu — not the more expensive no-commercials plan or Hulu with Live TV. Presumably Disney will offer a way to upgrade to those pricier Hulu subscriptions.

There are a few other questions that went unanswered on the earnings call. Disney+, for example, will eventually launch in international markets. It’s unclear if that will be the same for the bundle because of regional issues with content. Hulu, for example, is not available in Canada, but Disney wants to bring Hulu to international markets, too. The big question is ESPN+, again because of regional licensing issues. Iger told investors the company doesn’t have “anything to announce right now in terms of markets.”

Most of the interest from investors, however, was still on Disney+. Iger spoke quite a bit about Disney+ during the investors call, referring to the service as “the most important product the company has launched in my tenure.”

“The positive response to our direct-to-consumer strategy has been gratifying, and the integration of the businesses we acquired from 21st Century Fox only increases our confidence in our ability to leverage decades of iconic storytelling and the powerful creative engines across the entire company to deliver an extraordinary value proposition to consumers,” Iger said in a press release.

The streaming services is likely to be available through “Amazon, Apple, and other distributors,” according to Iger. Disney has not finalized any deals with the aforementioned companies, but told investors “we feel it’s important for us to achieve scale quickly, and we think it’s going to be an important part of that. They’re all interested in distributing the product.”

Disney’s goal heading into the direct-to-consumer space is ultimately to provide a ton of content in three distinct areas: general entertainment, family, and sports. The bundle is a way for Disney to offer consumers, many of whom are about to be inundated with multiple streaming services to choose from in the coming months, on top of free online entertainment (YouTube, Twitch), a low-priced option.

“That $12.99 bundle offers consumers tremendous volume, tremendous quality, and tremendous variety for a good price.”

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How is Netflix going to survive?

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Only thing I would purchase is Root ala carte or in a small package.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While its still a good deal, I think this part should be highlighted.

You are getting the ad version of it. From what I understand on Hulu, if you are only getting the ad version, even Hulu's own original content they intersperse with ads.

Personally, I find ads on streaming services to be even worse the traditional tv ads. You end up seeing the same ones over and over and over and over, and while it's nice to know how much time each ad or all ads have left, having it say in your face "6 more ads" and they're all 30 seconds, you just want to shoot yourself.

Will the Disney portion have the same ad setup?

In other words, I pay for ads to go away wherever possible. I believe right now the difference is $4.99 vs. $11.99. So if it is an extra $7 dollars, the $12.99 becomes $19.99. Still not horrible, but doesn't seem nearly as cheap, which is why they didn't even include what that price might be in this release...

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

ESPN plus is trash. If it was real ESPN then I might do this.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I'll pay 15 if they take out ESPN.

Deckard, B-Bob, arkoe and 1 other person like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I currently pay $1/month for Hulu and don't really use it. I don't have any use for ESPN+. This is one of those classic situations where a restaurant gives you a coupon for an item you wouldn't have bought anyway. It's nice to have for free...i guess.

CometsWin likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hulu is a 1$ a month???
    Wow!

Rocket River

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Only thing stopping me from cutting the cord is local sports.

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I think pmac may have gotten in on the Cyber Monday deal last year when it was 99 cents a month for the first year. If not I'm curious how

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

And the greatest era of streaming is coming to an end...

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That is a very good price especially with all Hulu and Disney has to offer. I don't like that Disney is trying to own everything under the sun. I'm going to try and borrow as much of their stuff from the internet so I don't contribute to the fall of civilization.

I don't think people realize just how much stuff is on Hulu or how much stuff Disney owns.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

I had Hulu plus twice. Both times it had horrible content. What, exactly do they have to offer?

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A lot of Anime, old cartoons and adult cartoons (family guy Simpsons etc). A surprisingly good assortment of quality movies and documentaries, old and new, just released to bluray type stuff. They have a bunch of TV series on there too - I'm watching Power right now. They also release shows on Hulu a day after they air on TV. I have a very wide range of stuff I watch though.

Hulu has a lot of good stuff IMO.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

All 3 channels suck ass. Hulu is garbage. ESPN is propaganda and Disney may as well be the antichrist

peleincubus likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This bundle is actually a nice deal.

I already get ESPN+ for their (Insider) articles. So, if I also wanted to get Disney+ as a standalone (which I was planning for the Star Wars content), in effect if I switched to this bundle I could ALSO get Hulu for free. So not really a bad deal.

Really no downside. Look, if you don't want ESPN+, then don't get the *bundle* and just get Disney+ on it's own for 7.99.

ESPN+ 4.99
    Disney+ 7.99
    Hulu 5.99

A $19 value for $12.99.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reddit is awesome.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hulu is whoring themselves out to absolutely everyone.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’ve cut the cord on and off for a couple years. Reddit is fantastic for local sports but as someone who can’t watch a lot of things live, man is it convenient to have a DVR.

Ultimately the cable package that gives me root sports is about $35 more than just having the internet and I’ve found that to be worth the price to record the Astros and Rockets when I want to. I will say that we watch literally nothing else on cable that isn’t on HBO. I’d do a stand-alone Root sports app for $20 if they came out with it.