1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. texian

texian Member

One very pleasant aspect of Watson's game is he's got a quick release.

Think about how long it would take the giraffe to reset his feet and layback that elongated motion just for a quick out.

Watson gets the ball out quickly from decision to release. Got a lot to refine, but you pretty much come in with your release window.

Tape don't lie. He was very accurate and his ball placement was spot on. It's the Browns who'll be second guessing that pick.

Rick was 100% Watson from the get go.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Half of being a good QB is being able to make throws under pressure and in big moments. How many big games has Mitch played in? Probably none. A TON of QBs look good when there is no pressure and they are comfortable behind the pocket. Who knows, make Mitch uncomfortable behind the line and his mechanics might fail him.

3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Exactly. I was just pointing out that we can't discredit Trubisky's start because it was against backups and then praise Watson's without acknowledging the fact that it was against backups.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Even if they wanted him Trubisky was never an option for the Texans. Watson showed me enough to be excited for his future.

Fulgore and Nimo like this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Watson's performance and potentialed better performances with reps would actually work against one's.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cowherd's voice sucks.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I would say his opinion usually is what really sucks....like having the Titans and Colts in the playoffs this season in his prediction...lol.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I don't care if Trubisky was playing against 5th graders...his arm is damn good and he put it on display. I couldnt care less who was guarding his receivers...I was more focused on seeing him place the ball exactly where it needed to be placed. He's very accurate and he throws with some good zip. That alone is a great starting point.

macho GRANDE and texans1095 like this.
  10. CallMeTheDream

Hopefully he'll resurrect the screen play because I don't remember the last time the Texans ran it successfully. It took Brock an eternity to get it out to the receiver and by then everyone in the stadium knew the play and it'd usually be a loss of 5.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Amen to that, the screen play has been missing for a long time. Never could understand why the Texan's seldom if ever use it.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Combination of non speedy receivers and slow, long wind up qbs.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Watson is a proven winner. Mitch is not.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Watson played with confidence, calm, with no fear, and never looked lost. He looked ahead for his Rookie year, he looked like he played 3 years in the NFL. That tells me he is working hard, and will succeed in the NFL in 2 years. Trubisky looked good because he played an NFL style offense in college, that's why he caught up fast too. But he looked scared and confused a little in his first preseason game. I know it's preseason, but things to look in the preseason is how confident and fearless the players are.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not in the NFL he's not. It's okay to admit that Trubisky looked a LOT better than Watson in their first preseason games. There's a reason why Trubisky was picked as high as he was and there's a reason why Watson was the 3rd QB off the board. As Texans fans, we should just be happy that Watson showed he has some nice intangible skills and hope that one day his passing ability will come around and be better.

OldManBernie and red5rocket like this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

Honestly the top 4 QB's drafted all had promising debuts. All have stuff to work on but there's a lot of good each showed. These guys may have been alittle over analyzed

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Trubisky wasn't A LOT better than Watson, I don't know what game you watched. Had they both done it against the ones, I'd be a lot more impressed with both. Denver's starters on defense would've eaten Trubisky alive. And as far as a track record of these two guys going against non pros, well we know Watson is better. Deshaun had some throws sail on him, hell the kid could've been fired up for his 1st pro game. At the end of the day, BOTH guys did a fine job.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Trubisky didn't so well against pressure according to PFF.

Kizer and Watson did.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I never praised Watson for his preseason game as a comparison to trubisky...

What are y'all trying to argue?

Watson has proven to not fold under the big stage. He has great instincts and poise. I think he's going to be better than Tru. That's all that I've said. Preseason is irrelevant.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Small sample size bruh.

Live bullets over several games will be a good indicator.