1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Russ Wilson is black.

Fulgore, red5rocket and tmoney1101 like this.
  2. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doug Williams was the 1st black QB to win the Super Bowl as a starter for the 1987 season.

3. raining threes

I'm aware of this.

A great QB who also lead Tampa Bay to the NFC Championship game.

I think Winston is going to be the next black QB to win a SB. He's special.

4. texian

texian Member

What does that have to do with anything?

Can he play. That's all that matters. Smdh.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

eagles fan, but hows he travelling? expected no.1/2/3 this year?

Fullcourt likes this.
  6. raining threes

Nothing,

I was just pointing this out for all of the SJW out there.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Start at 2, but he'll be 1 by the game after the bye. Unless Savage impresses big time. Which he could.

Fullcourt likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to say but I think he'll be the 3 this season unless he just shows a lot early. If Savage flames out that could change things.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Savage will probably get hurt early in the season and Wheedon will instantly flame and burn. Watson will get his chance by mid-season at the latest. Hope he's ready.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's very possible.

Nook and Fullcourt like this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am still holding to the notion that the Texans cannot leave a shining new toy sitting in the closet. If DW sets the preseason on fire, he starts opening day. But that is a big "IF."

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you play with a toy before the mold sets, you are just ruining what could be a cool thing eventually.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

And that is a risk. Coaches are supposed to know when the time is "ripe" for a particular player. Preseason play I think will be determinative.

FLASH21 and Htownballer38 like this.
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He will be the 2nd string qb. Weeden is just here for insurance and to play the wily veteran. Thats it Bobbythegreat

texans1095 likes this.
  15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So the Eagles and Cowboys ruined their shiny new toys huh? Or did the Panthers and Falcons destroy their shiny new toys as well? Hmm what about the Seahawks and Raiders?

Man we really need to change our mindset around here. We Texans fans are all bleeped up in the head when it comes to the QB position.

Fullcourt and texans1095 like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I personally don't think there's anyway Watson is the starter Opening Day against the Jags. The only way he starts is if Savage gets hurt during the pre-season. Watson can light it up all he wants, but fact of the matter is that he will often be playing against #2's and #3's, not #1's. I'm all for Watson being a successful QB for us, but I just don't see O'Brien handing over the reigns to an inexperienced rookie when he has a guy who's been in the system going on 4 years now. Unless, of course, Savage gets hurt in the preseason. That being said, if Savage goes out and loses the first 3-4 games of the season, or is injured in the regular season, Watson will be the first one called upon.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think Watson will start game 1 I don't know if that's the right move or not since I'm not in practice. but If you look at all the signs from us chasing Romo to trading a pick to get rid of Brock to trading up to get Watson it sure seems like regardless of what they are saying they really don't have much faith in Savage. I think they will keep Savage as the #1 most of camp and thru some or most of preseason just because you don't want to make it seem like your just handing Watson the job and you want him to go out and fight for his spot like everyone else.

Either way I'm still pretty confident in our team I mean back to back division titles with the trash we have rolled out at QB is not easy and I think the rest of the team is pretty damn good.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think its really hard to speculate on our QB situation right now, there are just TOO MANY UNKNOWNS. Savage has the arm talent and quick release, but can he process quickly enough and stay healthy long enough to prove himself? Weeden has been given somewhat of a bum rap. He played well for us and has the arm/experience to hold down the fort if Savage gets injured. He's a solid game manager and frankly we need that more than a gunslinger with our defense and ground game. Watson is a rookie and while ALL indications seem positive now, we don't know what will happen when he steps into the field of an NFL game. I actually believe the young man will do well, but I'd definitely prefer him not be thrown to the wolves early in the season.

I hope OB works him into the game plan during the regular season with a few plays here and there so that he gets a feel for the speed and voracity of the NFL. Maybe not in Week 1, but maybe by Week 3 or 4.

I like Savage and have been pulling for the kid since he beat Denver in the preseason his rookie year. I was at the game and he sucked the air out of the entire stadium with that drive--it was a thing of beauty. If he can regain some of that magic, we could have a solid QB and give DW more time to learn and develop.

What a great time of year--Football in the air, Astros kicking butt and Rockets hopefully about to become a Super Team!

fattz and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member