1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny enough, I think Wentz and Watson had an influence on them picking Mayfield. Out of all the top QBs, Mayfield was the closest to those two. He was the biggest winner, has leadership skills, killed the interview process. Wentz started out as a 2nd rounder until going through the combine and the interviews vaulted him to the top. Rosen, Darnold, and Allen don't have any of that. I see how they picked Mayfield I just don't see how they picked him #1. I think he would have been there at #4.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No we had a ton of people saying Watson couldn't throw and that he would get exposed at the NFL level.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Jets would have likely taken him at 3.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not "a ton of people". I do remember one idiot in particular.

coachbadlee and Fulgore like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Wassup with my man hairline. Just keeps getting worse. Need a new barber

Fulgore likes this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hey hey watch how you talk about the franchise ;)

Chanmarr and red5rocket like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Real-Life Diet of Deshaun Watson, Who Has Texans Fans Thinking Super Bowl

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

That's just the shape of his head. His brain is too big so his hairline adjusted accordingly

red5rocket likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. conquistador#11

hinch should have had watson throw that 9 inning. strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, pop up fly thank you for coming!

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really wish people will stop trying to put Carson Wentz in the same sentence as Deshaun Watson. Wentz will never be on Watson's level. Wentz' team made him look good. Watson made his team look great.

Fulgore likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to wait for Watson to do it over a larger sample size before I deem him the next Tom Brady or whatever. There were a lot of indicators that suggested that Watson was a prime regression candidate....he just didn't stay healthy for long enough for that to happen, maybe. There were at least a few throws every game where he slipped back into bad habits and threw passes that should have been intercepted, so some suggest that he was extremely lucky.

Now as a Texans fan, I want to believe that the success he had in his first games will be what we can expect to see from him going forward....and maybe it will be, but I think we have to at least consider the possibility of seeing significant regression this season.

zeeshan2, red5rocket and texans1095 like this.
  14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is so accurate. I think Watson will have stretches in his career where he performs at the same level he did last season. However, like you pointed out, he is likely to regress to some degree. I imagine he will still be a good (if not very good) QB, but it would be unfair to expect him to maintain the kind of numbers he was putting up over the course of a full season.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man that can be said for every darn QB that played on that high level. I really don't understand why people try to use that example in a attempt to back up their particular stance. The great Tom Brady had quite a few of those lucky ones over his glorious career as well.

The young man is a gamer, so we will see a lot of excitement from the QB position for years to come. Hopefully the young man will have a great bed of health from here on out.

Here's to a bright future

upload_2018-5-5_1-42-8.png

joshuaao, coachbadlee and Fulgore like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The man had a 9% TD percentage which is unsustainable.

texans1095 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

Reed said he liked mahomes because of the "system" they run, which has had a lot of zone play action in the past couple of years. play action is back baby! and there is no better qb that gets creative with his ball deception than watson. he is a magician.

There was even a play where Deshaun ran a play action with no running back, faking it to the invisible running back . It was very reminiscent of an 2009 schaubie play.

the latest article on play action metrics show 13pts higher passer rating on average than without it:
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...trics-that-matter-quarterbacks-on-play-action

The ringer had a good article on play action success.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/30/16718672/play-action-pass-success-vikings-rams-eagles

Have I ever mentioned I love play action? You can't run it every single time but 230 pass attempts on play action should be gold, especially for Watson. Which is what I think b.o.b meant by implementing a 'new offense'.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Didn't BOB abandon the play action when Watson went down?

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member