1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Or Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Nov 4, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A better comparison than Watson and Mahomes imo. I think Jackson has more natural talent in terms of speed and arm strength but i will side with Watson on intangibles

Ill go with Watson because he isnt faster but he has a Jerry Rice smoothness to his running and his arm strength is more than adequate. Right now he is obviously the more polished passer.

Both have pedigree

bj3175 likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't care. I'm glad we have Deshaun. That is all.

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I'II go Watson too! Reason being, Watson has the intangibles. You can see that Jackson is more athletic but it's the intangibles that sustains you over a longer period!

I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW IF ROMEO CROWNELL WILL LOOK AT THE TAPE WHEN UH PLAYED AGAINST LAMAR JACKSON IN COLLEGE? I think the way you contain him is shutting down their run game first and playing a mix of zone and man, same way the played against J-Ville

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This isn't even close. Watson all day

jcf, mikol13, coachbadlee and 8 others like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Better comparison...? Nah mang. Watson can adapt to any offense. Lamar "I cant speak good" Jackson has to have an offense adapted to him.

Not even close if comparing the QB position.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Easy question. Watson. But Jackson showing the “experts” he should have been the #1 qb off the board last year.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Watson is Aaron Rodgers like. He's a pocket passer than can run.

Lamar Jackson is Mike Vick like.

thesonofsam and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Watson for me, and mostly because I feel like he can make a bad team average, and a good team great. Lamar is a cog in a system that's built around him, and if one of the other cogs falters (running game, OL play, WR injuries, etc), he won't be able to rise above it. Watson OTOH IS the system. You can see there's longevity to his game, and he's just scratching the surface on how great he can be. Jackson is good, but it's clear he won't be much different than what we see from him now.

jcf likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wrote its a better comparison because both are very good runners. I think Watson is better because he is an elite passer but you guys are selling Jackson's passing short.

I don't watch Raven football but i watched a lot of his Louisville games because of him. In college i thought he was better than Watson but i think a lot of us have been surprised how polished Watson is and how well he started.

That being said Jackson has a 95 rating and began the year with 300 yard perfect passer rating game

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Watson and I'm pretty sure the national media and non Texans homers also would take Watson over Jackson 9 out of 10 times.

Jackson is the more athletic runner. Watson is the far superior passer. The later is more sustainable for long term success. Watson is in his third season already and every season he has a QBR over 100. Hes proven by now to be a really good pocket passer who uses his legs as a secondary option rather than a primary weapon. Jackson is the reversed.

Only one young QB that is more talented than Watson and that's Mahommes.

xaos likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Ravens offense is smart and plays to Jackson's strengths. He rarely has over 30 passing attempts in a game and never forces the issue. He's a okay pocket passer but I wouldn't consider him elite in that category. He's almost a game manger type QB when it comes to throwing it but his legs allow him to be a lethal weapon.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Don’t ever compare these guys again. Watson is so much more advanced at this point from every QB trait.

Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen is a better comp.

mario_v, xaos, King1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

The only comparison is their success. With the Ravens' offensive line, Lamar is going to be hard to stop. Same with Deshaun but for different reasons.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree to a certain extent but Mike Vick was more accurate. Looking at the Ravens vs the Patriots highlights, Lamar had a lot of passes 10yrds and in and his sidearm motion I thought was horrible. But he is a definite weaponing the backfield. It's going to be a good game.

15. conquistador#11

I don't think VIck was accurate until he had Patrick Mahomes as his head coach in Philly.

#15 conquistador#11, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    pgabriel likes this.
  16. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Deshaun of course but Lamar is very good.

17. Buck Turgidson

Watson is Steve Young, Jackson is...Randall Cunningham?

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Cunningham pisses on Jackson

donkeypunch likes this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

Watson is offended

jcf, Rudyc281 and donkeypunch like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Mahomes has better arm talent for sure but when it comes to reading the defense, accuracy, leadership, and quickness as a runner I'm not so sure that Mahomes is better.

Look at what Matt Moore is doing with Andy Reid. Watson would put up video game numbers playing in that system.