1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is lucky though, because even when he makes mistakes, bad decisions, or hesitates too long it won't matter to many of his Clemson fans. They will always blame the coach, offensive line, and others for his shortcomings. I didn't watch him last year because I couldn't watch the NFL with all the protesting, but am hoping to see him do good this year. We do need a light at the end of this long dark tunnel we have been in since the Oiler Days. I just wonder if Bill will always be blocking that light and his voice will never stop echoing through the tunnel like ghosts of Christmas past saying...."We've go to coach better, we've got to play better....."

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

How long till the fans turn on Deshaun? I feel for the guy because he’s not in a great spot to succeed with his O line but he still is making mistakes that can’t be put on anyone but himself... I still have faith but he needs a big game soon cause I fear he might lose his confidence.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Well, he is definitely confident of himself, so it might take a huge setback for that to happen. I'm sure he has been praised and cheered for so many years in high school and college that to hear any negative criticism might be new to him. I just hope he understands that anyone payed to entertain others is up for criticism, good and bad, from their fans. Hopefully he can be mature about it, learn from it, not get angry with criticism, and things turn around. It will take all our team AND coach to stop making all the stupid mistakes, penalties, and errors in judgement that are avoidable so we can start winning. I hope it starts this week with the Giants. I still have faith in our players. Unfortunately, our Offensive Line still struggles to give our QB good enough protection a lot of the time, and our coach just seems over his head.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He def made some mistakes

But I’ll take a guy throwing 310 with 2tds and 50 rushing yards with a 110 qbr in his 8th freaking game.

Watson is going to be a great qb and possible future mvp.

But everyone needs to slow their roll. He played 7 games last year 6 starts he just competed his 8th start.

I get that expectations were sky high but the guys is going to end up passing for 4K+ yards 30+ tds and 400+ rushing yards. That’s pro bowl numbers.

He needs to get better at decision making as all young qbs do and hanging on to the football, way to many fumbles happening from him.

But to question his confidence and that he could get broken when he’s competing almost 70% of his passes for 300 yards and 2tds seems rather odd to me.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just haven’t seen the same Deshaun in these first two games as far as his energy and making quick decisions. Maybe it’s him questioning his knee or his protection or maybe its the fact that both games started with huge plays that kinda sucked the energy out of the whole team. But I just want to see that swagger he had when he played last year.

coachbadlee likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Watson can't get slack coming off an injury in his 8th game? Let's wait until he plays a full season of games before we start turning on him. BOB is supposed to coach him up. BOB should be mitigating Watson's mistakes with his experience, guidance and perpetration. BOB shouldn't assume Watson just knows how to be an NFL QB. That kind of hubris is why the Texans are so trash. BOB just assumes the teams knows the simple stuff.. like covering a gunner on special teams.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It’s his 8th start, and you have to be realistic no player is going to play like Watson did those 6 games every game. Especially coming off ACl surgery, that was a special stretch if he did he would be the best player ever hands down.

There was going to be regression but for a guy still figuring it out I think he’s playing fine. He’s going to make some bad throws he’s going to force stuff, that’s part of his progression.

It’s liek pat mahomes right now. Ppl are calling him the next Brett farve and he might be but he’s going to have a 3 int game very soon. He can’t keep throwing 5tds a game with no ints. It’s football even the greats don’t do that but right now ppl are caught in the moment and think he’s going To do this every week like many thought Watson would keep putting up 4tds a game like last year.

I just don’t understand why ppl are surprised? I’m pissed about a lot of stuff because we could have won in NE and should have won in tenn.

Watson while still learning is not the main reason we lost both games. He’s part of it but he did enough to put us in position to win but our dumb HC can’t seem to get it together.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

People complaining about Watson after watching a s*** show at qb for the last 15 years? Now that’s funny. Only has 8 starts and is coming off major knee surgery. Still played a good game Sunday and win continue to get better each week. He’s the face of the franchise and the future of this team. Thank You Rick.

YaoMing#1 and tobster like this.
  9. ktex

ktex Member

Does anyone else feel that BOB is trying to turn DW into a pocket passer? I see way too many standard drop backs. Why aren't we moving the pocket around, using his mobility?

523744, Fulgore, RasaqBoi and 3 others like this.
  10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Deshaun has been hit more than any other Quarterback this season.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It looks like he's going back to the old spread system. Not as much play action, rollouts, etc.

I feel Watson would be great in a Kubiak style system.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Mr. Space City

it's starting.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/18/school-superintendent-on-texans-star-you-cant-count-on-a-black-qb/

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A LOT of that is his fault though. He's been indecisive and struggled to see what receivers are open and as such he's held on to the ball more than any QB besides Josh Allen....and he's held on to the ball for nearly a half second more than the guy ahead of him on the list. While there is a lot we can blame on the O line, the bulk of Watson's problems have been a combination of his fault and not having a coach.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

16. ktex

ktex Member

I was just saying this yesterday. Even Schaub could get yards on a Kubiak bootleg.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Heard a bunch on delusional sports radio this dude was better than moon lol

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm one of those who would love a Mahomes on my team, and I never followed him in college. Favre threw plenty of interceptions, and yes, Mahomes will too. I'd love to see him keep the streak going, but we all know interceptions come eventually, whether tipped, off the receiver's hands, or simply thrown with bad judgement.

I think what makes Mahomes so exciting is the fact that he can throw a ball 70 yards across the field for a TD. That's what made Favre so fun to watch, and it's that quality few QBs have, that can spoil what seemed like a win for opponents. They have that edge to be able to come from behind with a minute on the clock and score. We played enough of those QBs over the years to know that you never felt comfortable if they got the ball back, even when there was a minute left. When we play the Chiefs I'm hoping he has a bad game, and of course I will be rooting for Watson. But, I can't help get excited about a QB doing something like he is either, and would have loved to have had a QB like that, just because I am a lover of that style. Besides, he's a born and bred Texan.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't know why that even needs explaining. You could count the seconds so many times he held that ball, and simply struggled to get rid of it. Since our view is limited on TV I can't judge who is open or not most of the time, so I don't know if he isn't seeing wide open guys or if guys just can break free from coverage.

The problem with the NFL coverage, regardless of the network, is that you can't pick your view. I would love to have the ability to zoom in or out on the field view, rather than see a close up of the QB the whole time he has the ball. Only then can you see all the receivers and targets, and who is open or not. Why we still don't have that option is baffling in this day and age. They make billions on commercials and can't give us better technology to watch the games.

Bobbythegreat and Jake Tower like this.
  20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

the funny thing is this was one of his statistically better games of his young career, but it comes down to minimizing mistakes ...the stupid TD the titans should have never happened . The run blocking while surprisingly decent to good is also horrendous at pass blocking . We need to do some more max protects for sure. I’m not worried about Watson. Experience is the best teacher