1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/16/nfl-week-6-chiefs-steelers-rankings-peter-king-mmqb

• Deshaun Watson is as unique a rookie as I remember in the NFL. Think of Watson since he’s been drafted. He worker-beed his way through training camp, paying homage to nominal starter Tom Savage. He gave away his first game check to three lunch ladies with the Texans who suffered losses in the big Houston flood. He struggled to beat the Bengals in his first start, dueled Tom Brady to a close loss in his second start, then threw four, five and three touchdown passes in his past three games. As you read this, Watson, who might have spent the year on the bench if Savage had torn up foes in September, leads the NFL in touchdown passes with 15. And Sunday, before the game against Cleveland, he wore a Warren Moon jersey in honor of the best quarterback in franchise history. “So much he did for this organization—I just wanted to show my appreciation for everything he’s done, and for paving the way for future quarterbacks,” Watson told me after the game. That’s what I mean: He says the right things, does the right things, and plays the right way. He said he isn’t surprised at his early success, and he doesn’t know why his adjustment has been so seamless. I’ll give you one clue: There’s one person on this planet who’s twice thrown for 400 yards against a Nick Saban-coached defense—Watson, at Clemson. Football’s football. “The reason I’m not surprised is because of the preparation and the mindset I have,” Watson said. Watching him now, he still might lock onto his first read too regularly, but he’s so confident and plays so fast that you figure his progressions will come in time. In his last three games, he’s playing to a 118.3 rating, ridiculous for a rookie. But Sunday, what he was thinking about was the pick-six he threw to Cleveland cornerback Jason McCourty, even after his fourth straight strong game. “I’m really upset about that pick-six,” he said. “I was pissed off. I hate turning the ball over. That’s going to stick with me.” Music to his coaches’ ears.

MadMax and red5rocket like this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Remember how blah Deandre Hopkins and Will Fuller looked at times last year?

That's all you need to know about how well the rook is playing. Both guys now look like elite receivers.

Fulgore likes this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I can appreciate the Moon sentiment, but maybe Watson doesn't know the Oilers aren't this franchise.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

As much as the Texans franchise is my franchise today, the Oilers up til' 1996 was my franchise.

Moon was the best QB in Houston and it's awesome to have my current QB paying respect to my all-time QB.

Severe Rockets Fan and MadMax like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think the kid just saved OB's job. Deshaun seems to break some type of nfl record every week in the system. These last 10 games will be fun to watch

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How dumb. They were the HOUSTON Oilers, weren't they?

How many snaps did Warren Moon take as a member of the Tennessee franchise? I'll wait...

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll see. Deshaun has been awesome but the team is still just 3-3.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I will stop bumping the draft thread.

Doing well
    Ahead of schedule
    Expectation is he'll be on the field during OTAs
    All is positive there

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

11. Fantasma Negro

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not sure why I'm posting this garbage list but...

Below is a ranking of the top 32 quarterbacks in the NFL, regardless of team. Players like Blake Bortles, Colin Kaepernick, AJ McCarron and Mitchell Trubisky just missed the cut.

1. Tom Brady
    2. Aaron Rodgers
    3. Ben Roethlisberger
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Carson Wentz
    6. Russell Wilson
    7. Matt Ryan
    8. Cam Newton
    9. Matt Stafford
    10. Andrew Luck
    11. Philip Rivers
    12. Jimmy Garoppolo
    13. Kirk Cousins
    14. Jameis Winston
    15. Dak Prescott
    16. Marcus Mariota
    17. Derek Carr
    18. Alex Smith
    19. Deshaun Watson
    20. Jared Goff
    21. Andy Dalton
    22. Tyrod Taylor
    23. Ryan Tannehill
    24. Joe Flacco
    25. Eli Manning
    26. Pat Mahomes
    27. Sam Bradford
    28. Case Keenum
    29. Teddy Bridgewater
    30. Josh McCown
    31. Jacoby Brissett
    32. Nick Foles

14. texian

texian Member

Post one from Adam Schein from same website and he'll have Watson #1.

He's a Texans fan. Pfft.

15. hakimthdream02

i swear bro

16. tmacfor35

I have to laugh at this.

Watson destroyed the Titans. Went head to head against Brady and Wilson(I thought he was just as good if not better in those scenarios) and this asshat thinks 18 QB’s are better?

Jimmy G had a TD/INT ratio of 7:5 in the 6 games he played.

Good lord.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

And Jimmy G isn't coming off major injury and spent four years with the greatest QB ever and the greatest coach ever. It's not too surprising. Both he and Deshaun have to prove people wrong they are more than flash in the pan young QBs. I believe DW will. He'll make believers out of everyone.

18. tmacfor35

Remember that time when Matt casell looked like a QB after departing the Patriots?

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I love this sh_t! I hope DW sees it, posts the son-of-b_tch list inside his locker and then destroys the league to let everyone know what he's about. C'mon NFL Network, you can do better than this!

J.R. likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. And I would think most would learn from that experience to not highly rate a QB after a short stint of success.