1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. raining threes

Honestly I thought Watson would be an average QB, which is an upgrade over what the Texans have had at QB. He will have to be much better than he was last season for me to change my mind. He's got the weapons now, so there's no reason he can't be better.

2. raining threes

Not last year. But since last year was his first year starting he has potential to better. They added weapons in the draft.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Watson is not gonna shine. BoB has the special ability of making everything look mediocre/average

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How so?

He was almost the leading rusher for OBriens offense. Hyde couldnt get anything going, and Duke got one carry all afternoon. ONE!

His passing stats were exceptional considering all KC needed to do was sit back and wait, they knew they had the run game shut down. He didnt have as dynamic a game as Mahomes obviously, but Watson didnt have the luxury of going against the Texans defense either.

What else could he have done? He was trying to run the plays that were being called. He tried his backyard football thing. KC's defense last year was pretty good if you hadnt noticed. Its strange when Deshaun gets the blame for fake punts, 20 yard field goals and momentum killing trick plays in the 2nd half. All kidding to the side - Im not sure what he could have done different/better?

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'd have to go back and watch again, but there were a lot of situational plays that didn't go his way. I don't remember us being particularly good on 3rd down → especially in the 2nd half. Also, whenever your offense can't stop the bleeding and produce a drive of their own when the opposing team is going on a hellacious run then some of the blame goes on the QB.

As far as stats being misleading. In the second half when the Chiefs got a big lead they sat back and played coverages that allowed him to compile yards that didn't mean a lot. Many of those yards were "empty yards" → didn't lead to scoring drives, etc.

I love Deshaun, but even he would say that he didn't play his best game.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its fair to say the QB/Offense should have at the very least offered a long, sustained drive to allow the defense to regain composure. That into itself requires several variables to work together and not just Watson alone. If Deshaun was calling the plays then yeah I could see him getting the brunt of the blame. If we were to go down the drive charts I think we'd both be surprised to a certain extent.

Hopefully Watson gets better this year - still room to grow IMO.

7. STR8Thugg

Didn't they go like almost a full 15 mins or more without a first down between the end of the first half and the end of the third quarter? I think our first, 1st down in the second half was with like 2 or 3 mins left in the third.

Like I said before that wasn't completely on Deshaun, but he still shoulders some of the blame.

He'll be better this year, it's all good.

raining threes likes this.
  8. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

So, without the normal offseason work with these new weapons, 2 of the top three WRs are new to the playbook, a RB we are hoping will perform like he did 4 years ago, injury concerns with top two WRs and an, unknown rookie OC, there should be no reason he can't be better?

Talk about setting someone up to fail. While these weapons and OC are adjusting, I'm sure you will ignore these factors and blame Watson for everything that goes wrong.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  9. raining threes

Have Watson and the receivers been working out together?

Does the your standards apply to Brady in Tampa? Is he being set up to fail? I'm sure you will blame BOB if Brady succeeds and Watson fails.

10. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

So, in Tampa Bay, are the top WRs having to learn a new playbook? Are the WRs injury prone? Do they have an inexperienced OC or a offensively challenged HC?

Why would any reasonable person blame Brady if the WRs gets hurt or they can't get on the same page, or the OC is incompetent? Try again. It's apples and oranges.

BTW, when I mentioned setup to fail, I was talking about you and not BOB or the Texans organization. As usual, you have place the full burden on Watson without taking into account the question marks surrounding these new weapons.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There is a reason y even Brady couldnt win a superbowl with our sht hc/gm/oc.

BoB is sht and hes been making watson and the offense look bad. The team BoB is building doesnt give me confidence that its gonna make watson life any easier on offense. Hopefully he doesnt call any more plays cause they were legit garbage.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea he deserves blame for listening to his sht coach call those atrocious sht plays.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Here is the drive chart for that game: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401131043

Pretty suspect play calling at some points .. the drive to start the 2nd half down by 10 at that point was absolutely abysmal. Start with an illegal formation?? then go 3 and out with a Watson sack on 3rd down?? SMH.

Its been an exhausting summer explaining that the defense deserves the majority of the blame IMO. They nutted up. Its why I was hoping that defense - especially with a new DC would have been the focus of off season team building. Really wont matter how "good" Watson can become if he doesnt have a defense on the other side that can get some stops when necessary.

14. raining threes

You dont like the weapons at Watson's disposal? If healthy they're vets that have been successful at every stop they've been at.

3Rings likes this.
  15. raining threes

Can Watson check out of those plays?

16. STR8Thugg

I read "pretty suspect play calling at some points..." and then I stopped reading.

Yes. O'Brien is mostly to blame, please don't get this twisted.

Deshaun was also to blame in that game → in fact he was to blame a lot. And I doubt you will find any other person on earth that loves Deshaun Watson more than I do. He isn't the problem!! That was not a point I was trying to make.

17. STR8Thugg

Bro I've seen a couple of posts from you regarding Watson, and if you don't think he's that good... well now I know who submitted his Madden rating.

raining threes likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

On paper it does look good. The problem is availability. On paper they good tho

3Rings and raining threes like this.
  19. raining threes

That's why I've said if the receivers stay healthy there should be no excuses.

3Rings likes this.
  20. STR8Thugg

One more thing. I'm good with going all in on the offense. The defense will surprise many... Anthony Weaver is going to run a very solid defense.

The biggest question mark aside from COVID is Will Fuller V, Brandon Cooks, Randall Cobb, Kenny Stills. Y'all fools gon' stay healthy, like kinda healthy?