1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deer Park petrochemical fires

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Mar 18, 2019.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So since Katy is next where we gonna evacuate?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ohhhhh s*it guess who's going to Benzene Park this Friday to gets our 1st of a triple does of Abisher stadium for boy's 6A playoff soccer. Deer Park vs Alief Elsik on Friday, Mighty Rams are 21-1-1 on the season, trying to go B2B for state titles.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Annnnd guess who going back to the 6A State tournament as Region 3 BACK2BACK Champs!!! The NeverSayDie Mighty Elsik Rams win 2 thrilling matches out @ DP Abshier beat Katy Tompkins 4-3 last night on a goal with less than 1 minute left and a great great Spring Woods team today 3-2, down 2-0 @ half. Both games found the Rams down but saw them comeback to defend their title. Next up Flower Mound on Friday in Georgetown!!

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Have you swampers/smoggers trained for the difference in environment up here? Clean air and a bit of altitude could play tricks on your boys...

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Won it all last year, no problemo mi aimgo. That clean air will always smell and feel like my 1st home, growing up in the mean streets of Killeen ages 0-10. Moving to H-town was the best thing to ever happen to me, no question!!!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Poor Marble Falls lost to Cedar Park in a 2-1 shootout in the quarterfinals (we can't play football or basketball for ****, but soccer and baseball, oh hell yes) or we would have played Sharpstown last week.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Big explosion and fire near Port Arthur tonight

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/explosion-reported-near-plant-southeastern-texas-n1092396

Also, update on the deer park fire

ITC chemical facility did not have gas alarms or shutoff valves when massive fire erupted

Chemical plant and oil refinery explosions and fires seem to be non stop. Something needs to be done.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Door kicked in, windows shattered and even some roofs collapsed miles around the plant by the shock of the explosion, crazy.

Wind will be blowing directly towards Houston for the next two days as well.

#149 ThatBoyNick, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Those houses seem a little to close to that plant.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Google Port Neches, you'll see that high school, middle school, elementary, and many residential neighborhoods are all built around the plant('s), I'd say within of it 500 yards it.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

14. cml750

cml750 Member

I live about 4 1/2 miles from that plant. We just got a mandatory evacuation notice. I assume they are worried about BLEVE's from the butadiene tanks there.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I blame the Cowboys sign.

primtim24 and hieuytran like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry to hear that bro, hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

cml750 likes this.
  17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I was in the area earlier to visit a gravesite, it was literally blowing right over us. Stay safe everyone...

18. cml750

cml750 Member

We are fine although our big Thanksgiving plans are ruined. We did find a great rate at a hotel in Houston near Memorial City mall. We will have Thanksgiving at my sons apartment tomorrow. My wife and daughter will be within walking distance of the mall for black Friday shopping. I just pray nobody got hurt too bad.

ThatBoyNick and Astrodome like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry to hear that, hope everything works out for the best.

You mentioned finding a great price on a room, really TPC should be the ones paying for your hotel (and more), I’ve never had an experience with something like that, but surely the company should be liable for all damages (environmental, health, infrastructure, loss of work and business to name a few) and inconveniences caused by their explosions and fire.

Is that something you expect will be covered later on?

20. cml750

cml750 Member

First, Happy Thanksgiving!! That being said I am not sure how that works. Our house was not damaged but we are spending money to stay here and that is all because of TPC. I have lived in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area my entire life around the plants and have never had to evacuate for anything other than hurricanes. We are saving all our receipts and will try to submit a claim once all of this is done.

ThatBoyNick likes this.