1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dealing with moving screens, from Jazz to the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I always spend time scouting other teams' boards, and once you do that you start realizing how much of the complaints are just about being passionate about your team. The Warriors had legit complaints, and we had a few more legit complaints than them.

In this series, it has been even.

What I've learned is that refereeing sucks and people tend to notice the decisions that go against them way more often. It's not a big deal. You have to ask yourself why on earth the refs would prefer a team from SLC with no real superstar against the Rockets. If Anything, what the league wants is a Warriors-Rockets matchup in the 2nd round, that's the most profitable outcome of the 1st round.

2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Honstly, I have rarely ever seen Harden flop except when he's annoyed as hell with his defender and wants to annoy them further. The reason he embellishes is because refereeing is imperfect and he is applying the NBA rules like a professor. He wants to draw the eyes of the refs to where and how often he is fouled. If there were some imaginary perfect robot referees that applied the rules 100% and didn't miss any action, he wouldn't embellish imo.

I think what you're referring to is that it's not the norm. Lots of players don't do what he does. Which to me is their problem. Harden has parlayed that laser sharp mind game into a offensive machine, which earned him referee cred, and then superstar status, which earned him All-NBA cred, which results in beneficial calls.

In Game 3, the Jazz got away with some **** though and I do believe that in rare occasions, there is some kind of nefarious series-extending intent going on and they try to nudge the game slightly a certain way.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so your inside stuff knowledge from reconnaissance on other boards has afforded you better inside stuff knowledge than durrell

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not only moving screens to watch out for. Its donkey literally holding down capella to prevent lobs.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's not inside stuff. It's just fans talking ****, just like here. Regular knowledge anyone can get if they are ever actually curious about what's true and what's not.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

going back to your previous post, it matters not what the intentions are behind a fixed game (tiring us out before GS, getting an extra game for tickets/tv, etc) but students of the game can tell when obvious bias exists. additionally, our playoff record w/ brothers (and especially foster) reffing is very telling, so it's all just too convenient for brothers to be rushed out to SLC right after working the LAC-GS game.

7. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Why didn't Cap switch and close on this? We were up by three with 10 to go.

Should have covered the three and let Gobert have the open dunk.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's another. On the 3rd play of the game -- Game 3. Klay actually pushes Gordon. Notice how he puts his hands up like, "I didn't do anything."

9. ozrocketsfan

ozrocketsfan Member

I really do think GS actually practice on how to low key illegal screen and contest 3 point shots to avoid getting foul calls. I don't understand why the rockets don't desperately fight around those screens and fall to the ground when they can't get there. If the ref's don't call it we need to make it damn obvious.

We exaggerate contact in other areas to force calls, we need to do it here as well. Get in the gutter with these GS punks and play just as dirty (minus the eye gouges)

10. jowman

jowman Member

We talk a lot about green. Klay Thompson is establishing himself as a dirty player too intentionally sticking his leg out to injury players etc. we need some big nasty guy to deck him in his head ala Ron artest on harden. Knock his brain loose

11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

There is an action we are having issues with. It has been targeted particularly for Rivers and Gerald.

Warrior player standing inside 3pt line on “strong side” of the ball. Shooter comes sprinting directly towards his teammate. He curls slightly to the corner after passing his friend and this one moves at the same time grabbing our player who comes chasing. There is no switch as the defender for the screener is guarding the inside and cant react.

Its the only action (other than KD’s amazing shots) I see it really gives us trouble and you need a little referee pressure on the moving screen to help us control it.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I really think you just have to keep complaining and sending the NBA tapes after every game.

Thats all I can think of.