1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dealing with moving screens, from Jazz to the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Voltik

Voltik Member

There have been few instances in the past Worriers and Rockets games where Dray and Bogut have completely take out players by either falling down on their legs or pulling them down after falling themselves.

Moving the same direction as an opponent shouldn’t be allowed as the screener won’t be moving the same speed, thereby, resulting in a moving screen.

D-rock likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is no excuse for our defense on the last play .

I don't care if gobert moves . A switch has to be called .

You can give up the 2 at the rim or put the jazz on the line .

Giving up a wide open three was a mistake bigger than "the jazz got away with a moving screen"

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When you see your man "set" a moving screen you've got yell at the top of your lungs "MOVING SCREEN, MOVING SCREEN" to get the ref's keyed-in. And do a hand motion signal so the media picks up on it. If people start asking what all the weird hand signs the Rockets' are doing on TV, someone will dive in and publish a story on it. Make a circus out of it. That's your best bet.

Hakeemtheking and slothy420 like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Obviously we think the refs are gonna be on GS side .

If it comes to that we will have to get a little dirty .

We have hit-man Nene on the bench and I'm pretty sure a guy like green or will take a fine/suspension and make it their mission to give bogut a little draymond nut kick .

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

The fake-stumble-backwards is Bogut's best offensive weapon. If he has to drag it out too long, he'll throw his arms up in the air as if to say, "Hey, this isn't my doing, I was pushed!" It's so obvious and done so often, I'm astounded the refs let him get away with it nearly every time.

slothy420, D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think they consider speed. At least the rule doesn't mention it. The GSW are taking full adv of this rule. They sometime even purposely "pull" the opponent toward them... it's dirty but legal.

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-12-fouls-and-penalties/

Section III—By Screening

A player who sets a screen shall not (1) assume a position nearer than a normal step from an opponent, if that opponent is stationary and unaware of the screener’s position, or make illegal contact with an opponent when he assumes a position at the side or front of an opponent, or (3) assume a position so near to a moving opponent that he is not given an opportunity to avoid contact before making illegal contact, or (4) move laterally or toward an opponent being screened, after having assumed a legal position. The screener may move in the same direction and path of the opponent being screened.

In (3) above, the speed of the opponent being screened will determine what the screener’s stationary position may be. This position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from his opponent.

Voltik likes this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Guys that's why we evolved into a switch everything team.......I'm surprised our own fans dont know this. That doesnt work against us anymore.....we gonna alot of iso from gsw like everytime we have played them.since we starting to switch everything. We moved to that defense because of what gsw do. Keep up people. Yall worried for no reason

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Won't work w/ 10 seconds to go, but yeah...that has to be a consistent theme early on to bank as a complaint for a game 5+

10. JW86

JW86 Member

@Mathloom last year series vs Warriors, go watch it and tell me that was not called in favour of them.

11. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Fascinating take on this by a former referee at the 4:23 mark. He says that now that the NBA has evolved where players are incredibly consistent from long range, they've taken illegal screens to a new level of competitive advantage. He says it'll take a tipping point number of complaints from teams for the officials to start calling them. Of course the example being shown as he talks is Bogut's backwards screen.

I'm proud of the Rockets taking matters into their own hands and minimizing the unfair advantage of illegal screens through switching.

You can see how devastatingly effective they are based on what Gobert did to Rivers on that last play - contrast that to the days where screeners put their arms to their sides so as not to get called.

#31 Tuk88, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It was roughly even. The refereeing was horrible and a few calls broke their way more than they did our way. It happens. They have been screwed before, and we've benefitted a lot.

Like Harden just shoves people, Capela/Tucker bump people on screens, Paul is constantly slapping people's forearms. This is the game man, everyone is getting helped/screwed, home teams get better calls, better players get better calls. It's been the case forever. I'm happy we're among the teams that get great calls. I don't care about the morality of it tbh.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The Warriors generate more revenue, they will do this for the Warriors, Lakers, Knicks, etc. Is this a surprise? What happens when Houston plays Utah, you think the league doesn't prefer the MVP in a top 5 market over the Utah Jazz? This is the game man. The NBA is not uniquely screwing the Rockets, there is too much whining.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Absolutely!

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm fine pointing out what they do, my issue is only with making it appear as though we're eternal victims and the Warriors are only winning because of these things.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wait, so HOU has been getting beneficial treatment from the ref crews this series?

and per your previous post #32, the officiating was more or less even in last year's series with GS?

obviously we disagree here, but i'll leave you to your opinion -- i'm not going question your mental health :D

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Fair enough, it’s entertainment first and foremost so expecting an honest league with integrity is already silly, even if they present themselves as such. That being said, the game 6 /7 turnaround from not calling contact was egregious.

And I agree, Rockets and Harden benefit a lot from officiating as well as Warriors. The funniest is a Rocket fan saying Harden is always legitimately fouled, does not flop, embellish and the best one is that when the opponent gets a call that Harden always gets, it’s not a foul.

18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah we got guy setting records for free throws yet they try to tell me refs hate us everytime we loose. Just stick to basketball guys and call it like it is. You really think CP suddenly stopped being dirty or PJ doesnt use his strenght to elbow m****as away from refs? We are as chippy as it gets and we should embrace it. Harden will beat not called handchecking. Curry wont even attemp shot. The less refs blow the whistle the better for us.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Fatigue(physical and nervous system) is everything in making shots. After whole game on NBA level players are so fatigued their shooting percentage drop to human levels.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

bogut will get so abused on defense that he will only get about 12mpg. looney and Iggy will play the most minutes outside of the top 4.

also, screens don't even work against switching defense. it will cause a switch but won't get anyone open.

if the rockets are locked in on D and switch properly, the warriors offense will come down to Steph and KD going 1 on 1 like last year. the reason we should've won last year was because harden and Paul are better 1 on 1 players than steph and KD. that's what both teams offense came down to since both teams shut everything else down by switching everything.

pippendagimp likes this.