1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

De’Anthony Melton Isn’t Here to Create, He’s Here to Disrupt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2018.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

MKG has the worst form I’ve ever seen, throw him out as an outlier.

I came up with my list in less than a minute, here are gonna be players all along the continuum, but there is a common trope of defenders that put in the work and become ok shooters. Much less going the other way because a lot of non defending elite shooters just get hidden on defense through scheme.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

When did DeAndre Jordan become a star?

Dude your post is all over the f'n place. Just please STFU.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly.

I came up with my list within that same time.

My point obviously isn't knocking the kid. He has good form. He seems to have a good sense of the fluidity of an offensive scheme. I don't see him becoming MKG at all, but my point is that you never know how these kids develop especially with the type of mentors or roster they land on.

This kid (and Duval) landed in the right spot. Give them a few years with John Lucas and I bet they will be shooting jumpers left and right over Steph and crew. I like the defense first mentality of these kids, hard to find now a days.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Andre roberson can't shoot either but seems to impact the entire game with his defense.

That said unless his form is absolute trash, he should get to Ariza or Luc level of shooting. It might serviceable.

roslolian likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

He got paid the max and teams were fighting all over him as a FA that made him a star duhhh.

How is my post all over the place? It has literally 2 points and I even counted them for you! Can't your brain understand a ppst with more than 1 point? LMAO wtf.

The point is for the 48th pick you can't expect a superstar. If he develops his shot then great he is a steal, if not then he was still the 48th pick so quit hating.

fckbandwagons and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Pay max money for a "star" player that has yet to make an all-star team. Right... He's a star for sure!

Yes, your post was much to do about nothing. And hate?! Ha, clearly you read none of my earlier posts on the guy in this same thread.

Just jump at one single post and it's hate. Gtfoh scrub.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

We're literally about to pay him for playing basketball. Sounds like he was ahead of his time to me.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It really depends. Teams can hide a player's defensive limitations depending on their scheme. Philadelphia can play Redick, Belinelli, and Ilyasova with few issues. Boston lived just fine with Rondo's shooting limitations because he had other strengths and they already had plenty of shooters. None of us would have turned away prime Kyle Korver just because he wasn't an ace defender, but we definitely would turn away Andre Roberson.

Nolen likes this.
  9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let’s see what’s happens.

People were saying Briante was Bev 2.0 and that was some epic fail.

Not having a respectable jumper is extremely problemmatic on a team where our bread & butter is dribble penetration. Teams will slack, spacing will suffer. Hopefully, these concerns over his shooting are way overblown.

10. MichaelSpartan

Most people here are comparing him to Bev, but no one else said he'd maybe be good in the 2nd with Gordon. Ideally, Ego can take a good deal of the ball-handling off Melton's hands for a few minutes, like a lite version of Harden/Bev. If we can't get another shooting PG, this has to be the consolation prize.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From a Jonathan Feigen article on Chron.com :
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ton-will-go-from-playing-against-13019111.php

On playing against Paul and Harden in the Drew League :

“Just the way they carry themselves and you see the connection they had early on, the chemistry they had throughout the season, they really stay on top of each other. They hold each other accountable. Even sometimes you saw them argue in the huddle, but that’s how they hold each other accountable and they were still good on the court. I think that’s the biggest thing just coming in, just constructive criticism.”

Also :

“Defense. I think you saw in our playoff series when a couple real quick guys, especially Utah with a couple guys (Dante) Exum and (Alec) Burks, gave us trouble,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “Being able to guard on the perimeter, especially some of the quicker guards, we think is something (Melton) can bring right out of the box.”

napalm06, Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  12. kevtse

kevtse Member

Has everyone forgotten D'Antoni does not play rookie?

13. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

This guy is not playing next year. He is a development project at best. No way he is on the floor in the playoffs.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he can improve his jumper, and continue to play his pass first game with ease around the February deadline, he might be able to play in the playoffs for 10 minutes or so. He will have to work extremely hard, with the RGV team before he can make the team, no doubt about it.
    Edit: Corrected past to pass.

#54 saleem, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Lawlruschang and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad Melton has been working on his jumper with Drew Hanlen, who was a PG in his University years. This shows a will to improve.

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Is there any other reason why this guy isn't signed yet besides not wanting to wait 30 days if traded?

J.R. likes this.
  17. theimpossibles1

I'm really excited about MELtOn. I hope MELtOn is ready to contribute off the bench.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is a chance that Melton's agent could be negotiating here. Perhaps looking to take a 1 year deal ala KJ McDaniels and bet on himself. Other than that and the trade liquidity scenario, I don't know.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

From what I’ve heard, the Rockets really like Melton. They see him as a lottery pick that fell into their laps.
    Lottery picks tend to get “some” playing time.

I agree with the Rockets assessment. Melton didn’t play for a year and lost steam as the summer league games
    went forward. One can see his numbers decreased as time went on.

One month of G-league action (about 2 games a week) with some games with the Rockets should get him up to pace
    endurance wise. His defense alone gets him on the vs 2nd stringers or sub-500 teams (at least ten mins here and there.

Possible involvement with. trade “only” if it “WOWS” management. Jimmy Butler caliber.

peleincubus and Lawlruschang like this.
  20. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I don't see it with this guy.