1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey speaks on recent Rockets roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 11, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sandbagging means they are not telling us everything in their hand. Pops sandbags all the time.

D-rock, skroodup25 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

have you asked him what is his clutchfans nick?

BHannes2BHonest and jch1911 like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"More optimal" is the new meme now.

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I have sooo many questions? But I’ll just start with:

• What event was this? Was it for season ticket holders?
    • Did you take notes?

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

One of the most illuminating things I’ve read here in quite a while.

Rashmon, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 10 others like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but it's a long-winded way of saying,,,in my Zboy voice,,, "it's easy to land players who suck on defense. we just have to hide them, to make them at least "ok"?

Didn't work for Ryan Anderson and Kantar, though.

wait...MDA takes people from ok to good....and good to great all the time, if we're talking about objective measures like offenses efficiency.

I think you're right, though. I just don't think you need to suggest it only works with deficient skills. That just makes them more available for trade, and shows Morey uses the philosophy you pointed out to continuously recharge a roster that is well over the cap.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

His point was that mathematically speaking it's easier for someone to go from terrible to mediocre than it is from mediocre to good or good to great bc the room for improvement is so much greater. in MCW's case, they're confident that they can make a marginal but much more impact improvement on his shooting bc he basically has nowhere to go but up and that's really the only thing they think he needs improvement on.

it all goes back to how they assess value and their strategy to look for guys that they believe are undervalued compared to their skill set in relation to our system.

he also said he's learned to be a lot more careful what you say to anyone at anytime bc it all ends up online eventually. point in case.... haha

Richie_Rich, Shark44, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fast Forward to the WCF.

D-rock and Bearius Jones like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This shouldn't be buried here, I.D.I.O.T.

This is good stuff.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is funny how he said players are underutilized on another team but MDA is just giving fringe players 10 to 15 min max. and due to a short rotation.

In addition they can't give out more minutes because a Top 1 seed last year should not be playing too many of those 'projects'.

He just completely swallowed that one.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. SWTsig

why should fringe players get more than 10-15 mins? and last i checked MDA played a lot of guys last year during the regular season. the post season is a different story altogether, of course.

they know what they have more or less - they just need quality depth guys that can allow our stars to rest more during the regular season so that they're fresh in the playoffs. they're not bringing in guys like MCW and Ennis bc they think they can mold them into all stars, they bring them in bc they think in their system they can be quality contributors off the bench, allowing MDA to spell harden, cp3 and carmelo more often without the ship completely sinking.

12. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

omg thank you.... the way some interpret things make my head hurt.... glad you explained it.....

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then he should have not sounded as if solely other teams underutilize players. Rox and most teams did the same.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm willing to give Morey a pass on his off the cuff "compositions," considering that he's got a computer science degree from Northwestern and an MBA from MIT's Sloan School of Management. That screams Geek, to me. Daryl's using Geek Speak.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

You are misinterpreting what he means by "underutilized". What he means is "mis-utilized" or "not used optimally". For instance Brandon Knight's big flaw is that he is an inefficient offensive player as seen from his below average TS%. But that is because in other team's systems he shoots a quarter of his shots from long 2 range, where he shoots 35%. This is what is killing his efficiency, and he won't shoot any of these shots in the Rockets system, thereby improving his offensive efficiency. His game is then optimized, or correctly utilized. Same goes for Chriss, who the Suns used as a stretch 4 even though he shoots 30% from 3. In the Rockets system playing as a back up rim running center, he will be correctly utilized according to his skillset. Morey does not mean these guys aren't playing enough minutes. Neither will play more than 20 mpg here, but they will be used in a more proper role to play to their strengths.

Rashmon, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 11 others like this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"See if it works." The last line in the interview. I can't argue with that. We'll see if this team, as currently constructed, works. If it doesn't work the way Morey thinks it should work or thinks it could work, with some fine tuning, we know what he will do. Fine tune the roster. The Geek will tweak. Perhaps no tweaking will be necessary.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys are over-thinking. What Morey said is simply this: "When we get a player, we believe that he can be more optimal than he currently is."

skroodup25 likes this.
  19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Did you get a sense of where MCW is on the depth chart? I have been envisioning him as 10th or 11th man, and out of the rotation other than spot minutes when there is a need (more if there is an injury).

20. SWTsig

No he didn’t expand much beyond that unfortunately but you’re probably right. That said, we’re not even to training camp yet.