1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey speaks on recent Rockets roster moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

What if Chriss were in this year's draft pick after we watched him in the nba last 2 years?

30th pick in 2018?

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just a treadmill stress test will do. Not much else creeps up suddenly on you in your forties with much frequency.

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

You guys making fun of our fabulous GM are welcome to start bandwagoning the anorexic coaches and GM of the Golden State Warriors

Rashmon, MrSabotage, Remlap and 10 others like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Last year Morey came out and said he had assembled his best team yet (we all laughed at him by the way). This year, he defers to MDA saying HE thinks this team is better than last year.

uh oh.

I was waiting on Morey's assessment of the team and now I'm nervous. Now, this team might not be as good as last year (best regular season team in Rockets history), but I need Morey to rate it so I can adjust my expectations..

D-rock, amaru, da_juice and 2 others like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He says, "we'll be more optimal that maybe you've seen in the recent past." Basically, saying we are better than last year, without giving the Warriors/Media a juicy quote....like he did last year. I didn't hear him defer to MDA.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so "more optimal" is MoreySpeak for "better" . . . got it ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Hoody Morey blends in with the team. He's everywhere yet no where to be seen

hakeem94 and alethios like this.
  8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That quote was about Carmelo, not the entire team.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ah! I should try to be more optimal on my listening, next time.

[edit] Listening again, I think he's talking about the team. First video in OP. "With the players we have, we'll be more optimal than maybe you've seen in recent years."

#29 heypartner, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Deferment bordering on Forbearance! Morey going to have to pay up soon.

I need a spicy Morey quote about this team's chances that will light up the internet!

D-rock, hakeem94 and heypartner like this.
  11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Attended a small event w Daryl this morning where he went through a bunch of their statistical analysis and spent a lot of time answering questions.... let's just say I walked away feeling more confident than ever. Also walked away w a newfound appreciation for the Chuck Wagon.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I’m really sick of reading negative posts regarding Morey’s looks. Grow up people.

We are incredibly lucky to have him as the Rockets GM. Always working, always seemingly steps ahead of the competition, building damn good teams, fleecing other teams, very accessible, great for the originization and city.

Why don’t you guys post pics of yourselves since you’re all models.

And now that I’m thinking about it, why don’t you models go out and build us a better team. Or better yet, maybe just give it a rest.

#32 mikol13, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Any interesting quotes or comments?

14. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Better yet, why doesn't every one of ya'll screenshot your tinder profiles and man up?

Morey will best all of you. Post your matches, bros.

Morey's shaved chest is the look that most modern women prefer. And... I am NOT gay at all.

-SIL

Jake Tower and MorningZippo like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

you walked away More confident in THIS team? That's great news! Any statistical analysis on how washed Melo is? Delicately washed or stone washed?

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why are coaches usually sandbagging if they want to keep their jobs?

17. rammo

rammo Member

I heard Myers and Kerr split a pack of tic tacs after winning the championship last season...

Wooooo go wild!

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Because they are richer than 90% of the country and are not more interested in a business future than their legacy. Few ****s are given.

19. rammo

rammo Member

Aside from his elite level GMing skills, Morey seems like a genuine dude. I reckon he be an absolute legend behind closed doors.

Myers seems like a dude who would get legitimately annoyed because the bar he was dragged into by his buddies didn’t serve non-alcoholic beer.

I know who I’d rather roll with.

arabrocket, Why not? and fba34 like this.
  20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

He was asked about his thoughts on the new guys and his first comment was that MCW was looking great. He acknowledged the fact that yes he’s an “awful” three point shooter but that he does a lot of other things really really well; however, they think they can get him to improve his shooting. He said they have a philosophy of finding guys that are proficient in a lot of areas but deficient in one bc the chances you can improve someone from being terrible to ok in one area is far higher than improving someone from ok to good or great.

It essentially went hand in hand w an overarching theme of theirs to look for guys who are generally undervalued or misvalued bc they’re in the wrong system. He said environment plays a huge role in a players performance and that they actively look for players that their analysis says have strong skill set that they can take advantage of when placed in our system but are being underutilized in theirs. He thinks Carmelo will exemplify this bc he believes his offensive game is tailor made for our system and that Carmelo is still an elite offensive player.

He also addressed the criticism he used to take for treating “players like assets” which I think has mostly passed. But his comment was that without constantly making moves you essentially hamstring your franchise bc you need the flexibility to make an impactful move when the opportunity arises. He then showed a diagram of all the moves it took that allowed them to trade for Harden when they found out he was available - it included 31 players or picks over a dozen or some moves spanning years and years.

It was an awesome breakfast. I got to chat w him one on one for a second afterwards and he is super approachable and personable.

MghtyPtrck, Rashmon, D-rock and 35 others like this.