1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel house IS Overrated here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yep.

Since 2014 the Warriors and Cavs have been to the finals while using rental centers paid cheap.
    Bogut/Mozgov/McGee/Zaza/Tristan Thompson.....all lame-o’s that give you defense but not much else.
    The model to winning since 2014 is guards/wings interchangeable/switching defense. Draymond Green moves
    to Center and runs the conventional centers off the court.

Tucker guards Draymond as they match up at PF and they can both slide over to Center as Draymond Slides
    to Center. Where is your great defensive center? Struggling to protect the perimeter as Steph and Durant
    can shoot 3’s from mid court. Now Faried can fill the bill at Center vs Draymond since Tucker is more or less
    grounded and plays below the rim nowadays. That what makes Draymond special.....he can guard 1-5 and
    shoot some 3’s while protecting the rim as he lays above the rim.

House stays on the court as he assists interior and perimeter defense. Last year the Rockets were 7th in DRtg
    at 105.6. Luc MaM/Ariza helped get the Rockets there. Small Forwards playing switching defense seamlessly.
    https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season

Now we (Rockets) lack SF’s and we sit at 25th in DRtg at 112.2. Capela missed about 10 games last year as well. CP3/Tucker/Capela make up the main stays of both teams? You tell me why there is a difference in defense,
    or lack there of?
    https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1

Again per recent models of teams actually getting to the finals.....i go renta center and pay real money
    every where else. All the centers you bring up as salary market set contracts are getting booted on their a$$. Faried
    got a lot of money was released. Bogut got a big contract and then got the boot. Mozgov got a big contract and then got
    the boot. Robin Lopez and Brook Lopez have taken hits financially. Why? Because teams are recognizing that
    you actually win with skilled positions and skimp at Center.

Again, you don’t recognize what wins in today’s NBA. My philosophy has been working since 2014. That backs me up.
    Capela playing had me at around 28th in DRtg before he got injured. I’m not impressed with that great defense that
    you are impressed with. What good does it do if get bounced in the 1st round? Coming in second is just the last loser.

BigShasta and ISOBall like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are using Cavs who have KL/Irving/Lebron and Warriors who have KD/SC/Klay/Draymond dpo your models take into account these teams are skimping on center because they are paying the max for All Stars? Capela isn't an allstar but neither is he making the max he is making half these guys so obv its not a fair comparison. If the Rox had access to KD or Giannis or whoever then obv they will choose them over Capela but they don't have a franchise SF available for the taking. So skimping on a center makes no sense if no star is available and Capela's 18M isn't enough for a star in the first place.

You are comparing Danuel House to KD/Lebron etc man I know you love House but you are the only one on the planet and maybe his mom who thinks he is better than Capela lol.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes. Teams that paid their centers peanuts and used it elsewhere in their lineups to pays others. Now you get it.

Cousins will be the first quality center to win a championship in the last 5 years.....but while making $5.3 million this year.

4. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

39%, big difference.

BamBam likes this.
  5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Quality post with links to stats gets 0 likes hahahahahahahahahaha

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

They can only pay their center peanuts because they already paid max guys lol. We're in the same boat we already paid Harden and Cp3 the max as well so not sire what your complaint is.

A max guy won't come to the Rockets for only 18M a year when the max is 40M a year. For 18M Capela is way better than a scrub making vet min c'mon man there is no more "money to put elsewhere". Even GSW's days are numbered Klay, KD and Cousins all want the max that team is breaking up. Cousins and KD took a massive discount to come to GSW using them as an example doesn't make any sense where is our KD willing to come to the team for only 20M a year? We don't have that kind of guy available waiting to be signed.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Danuel House was a starter here when he left the team. Yeah, that's a pretty big freaking loss.

Even with Gordon back, House should still be starting at the 4 over the REAL overrated player -- P.J. Tucker

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes...

roslolian likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bogut was the Warriors highest paid player when they signed him in 2013-14 season, at near Max of 25% cap.

The only reason you’re forgetting how overpaid Bogut was is because the team as a whole was outperforming their team salary, thx to Curry and Klay’s underpay, but his salary still counters the idea that GSW was built by paying their Centers peanuts.

History states that GSW paying Bogut instead of Ellis was a major key to their dynasty taking off.

And although he had a decreasing salary, at no point did he get paid less than Capela is now on a % of the Cap basis. And it’s not even close.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

So now we are gonna get bounced out of the 1st round. LOL.

But please tell us how great your philosophy is.

Let's just forget what Capela did last year and in the playoffs.

Anyway I am done with you and ridiculous takes.

roslolian likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We were talking 14/15 after. That’s when the tide turned in the NBA imo. Pace-n-spacing began in 14/15. Thought
    of as a fluke.....but has it been? Only 5 teams were over 100 in pace last year. This year all but about
    4 teams are 100 in pace or better.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think space and pace began with the spurs "beautiful game"

Where pace = execution

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'm sure it's already been said in the thread somewhere... But House was huge in our OT win over the Warriors back in January. 17/4/3 and the highest +/- on our team that game. He matched up great against them, especially with how our switching defense works.

I'm not saying he's our savior but he's no scrub either. I just wish both sides could come to an agreement because there's no doubt we could use him.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well they used Tim Duncan. I’m talking a form of Small-Ball Space-n-Pace. Using a PF like Draymond for key
    moments of games which decreased the value of the centers as a whole.

@heypartner yes Bogut contract was big for the 14/15 championship squad....but that’s when they figured it out
    that you don’t need to invest so much at center to get the championship.

LeBron convinced the Cavs to over pay Tristan Thompson and they quickly regretted it. That’s a good
    example of Capela.....LeBron gone and Thompson is irrelevant......Harden/CP3 gone and Capela would barely
    get 10 points as I showed Capela’s point are predominately assisted.

Tucker can’t protect the rim as well as Draymond. But Faried helps.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-gt15/
    Capela defense > 15 ft is: 37.1% (DFG%)
    Faried defense > 15 ft is: 29.1% (DFG%) since being a Rocket.

Capela defense < 6 ft is: 60.2% (DFG%)
    Faried defense < 6 ft is: 59.7% (DFG%) since being a Rocket.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-lt6/

Embiid defense < 6 ft: 54.0% (DFG%)
    Brook Lopez defense < 6 ft: 51% (DFG%)
    Gobert defense < 6 ft: 53.6% (DFG%)

Sorry, I’m just not seeing this great defense that everybody is marveling about from Capela. Faried may not be passing
    the eye test but with Faried starting his stats are better and the team DRtg has improved. Capela is not the only one
    that can play Center in the Rockets system and play well. @biff17

Stats on nba/stats.com

#154 ApacheWarrior, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  15. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I think adding house is better than most of what we can get on the FA market, and for less money. He could just be feelin' himself and all, but you can't deny that he was a serviceable and frankly, more reliable small forward than any we've had this season thus far.

He's a decent-good (not great) defender, can hit his spotups at a good rate, and even showed some versatility on offense, being able to get to the basket on the catch AND finish at a good rate. Sure, he's not Ariza on defense, and ya, he was the beneficiary of harden's playmaking on a lot of that, but let's not make it seem like he's pure trash asking for TONS of money.

Personally, I want him back to start at the 3 and bring back Gordon as the 6th man. our starting unit has not been very smooth with him cp, and harden at the 1-3 spots.

dfbreyes likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

99% sure they will come to an agreement eventually this season. House's plan to be stubborn and play in the GLeague is alreeady starting to backfire on him he is shooting 41% FG and 28% 3 pt in the GLeague in 6 games no other NBA team will make him a min offer at this rate so with every bad game the Rox's hand grows stronger.

Regardless what happens though I expect House to be in a Rox uniform in time for the playoffs.

17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Pj will do better when there is an active help defender present House and Shump will improve Tuckers performance and reduce his minutes and EG having House will give him the room to move. Thats House ability and value he plays off our stars better than any role player you have consequently helping our stars to me more dominant in their matchup

18. hakeemthagreat

I don't think he's overrated, I think most of you Morey fans devalue the significance of a true role player. In your head, everybody's replaceable (like Trevor Ariza) if they're not James Harden. All you see is numbers. You don't value the intangibles that a role player brings. House did ALL the intangibles & brought energy. The team is missing that energy

dfbreyes likes this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d say a majority of our bad defense is caused by rebounding and the freedom of movement rule. We aren’t the most athletic team so we grab and hold etc and get called for garbage all the time now. All of CP3s tricks are now fouls.

20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

House should sign today. Don't waste your final chances. No one will know who is house after playoffs and there are many newbie for next season