1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel house IS Overrated here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 14, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What an incredible oversimplification of Capela's game.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

His game is simple. Set screen......roll to rim........open lane because attention on Harden.....jump high.

All his points come with momentum towards rim. Then FT’s. Stats don’t lie. I would like to see him get more than 10 points with Spurs, Orlando, Hawks, etc. We can go down the line with all the teams lacking a facilitator.

3. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do you continue to ignore his defense and rebounding?

That is a lot of his value that you never address.

roslolian likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let's completely ignore his ability on the defensive side of the ball as well as the fact that:

1. He has some of the softest hands for a big, which is how he handles super quick Harden passes
    2. He is one of the best at recognizing when a defender strays far enough to open up the lob

How many times have we seen Capela rein in a wild, off-target pass from Harden, the same type of pass that players like Faried would fumble away for a TO? How may times have we seen Capela recognize when to switch or sag off to properly help on D? What was our record when Harden, CP3, and Capela are healthy? Your marginalization of Capela's game if quite frankly, idiotic.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I always address that.

Hassan Whiteside use to block 5 shots a game but he didn’t want to leave the paint. What happens then? Perimeter
    shooting takes off as teams find the weakest link. Dwight Howard didn’t want to leave the paint so teams killed us
    by designing the open guy to be the nearest defender Howard needed to rotate to. Capela is overrated defensively.
    I always see him guarding PG’s on the perimeter and they get by him......forcing rotation.......forcing open 3-point shooter on the perimeter.

Prior to Capela getting injured the team said they were going keep Capela in the paint. I still saw Capela on the outside at times. Do you know why? Because the reason teams switch is because there are too many quick release shooters
    in the league. Keep Capela in the paint and like Whiteside we open ourselves to 3’s. Have Capela on the perimeter
    we open ourselves to 3’s......unless we stay with perimeter players and allow Capela to try to follow the guard. The smart guards will jump into him trailing and possibly getting the bucket and the foul.

One defender out of 5 players is futile. I don’t care if we have the greatest defender to ever play the game....without
    help then the chain is as strong as it’s weakest link. I can go 2 better defenders at wing and have a better winning
    percentage than one good defender at center in today’s NBA game. The game is different since 2014. And
    now this year is even more different with “Freedom of Novement” enforcement.

6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Great stats. They say he doesn't score away from the basket, and, unlike Dream, he needs help to get his shot. But if he gets that help, he's pretty efficient with it.

What's the difference in OP fg% between guys Capela guards vs. Faried? More to defense than block rate, as you know. I also don't disagree that Capela's skills fit in a lot better with this team than they would elsewhere; I just don't think his salary is too much, for what he brings this team, and for how hard it would be to replace him. I'd take Vucevic over him, probably Gobert, and the list gets a lot bigger if we include 4s. But I don't think, to quote one infamous take, that the Rockets could just plug Thon Maker into his spot, and keep chugging along.

D-rock likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

No you did not address it because he can defend the perimeter while blocking shots and being top 5 in rebounding.

just because you write a lot of words does not mean you make sense, I guess you are going to ignore the fact that we went to the WCF last year with Clint at Center.

Freedom of movement has nothing to do with Clints defense, I guess you thought that made you look like you know what you are talking about.

Bengchu likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is about House being a scrub away from Harden.....I’m saying that argument can be made equally to Capela,
    Others if you break down each individual.

Eric Gordon is shooting 39% (FG%). Give House the role of 3rd option as he was shooting a greater FG%. We can’t
    because there is a pecking order. James Ennis is probably not as bad as he was.....just didn’t get the switching
    style we wanted him to play. What was it that confused him? All switching or everyone switching except Nene/Capela.

What I’m saying is sometimes players do well in a system.....sometimes they don’t perform as well. History of basketball
    can give you examples of offensive players that play no defense making a ton of money. Jabari Parker I believe
    was the latest player quoted as saying, I don’t get paid to play defense. Most basketball players get paid to play offense.
    Th3 reporter that asked him how do you justify getting paid so much looked up that tidbit of info. Conclusion is
    offensive minded players get paid over defensive minded players. Report listed guys like Turner Evans making
    $20 plus million while guys like Roberson and Tony Allen we’re making peanuts.

So take Capela away from Houston and barely scoring 10 points a game while being all world defender probably
    nets him $8 million to $10 million dollars a year. Capela is fortunate to be playing next to Harden and CP3.
    Otherwise he becomes mount Motumbo. I need to look and see how much he made in one year. I will edit
    it in later. Maybe he made more money than the usual defender first players. Again it was a different era. The
    game has changed from the centers.

Edited: Motumbo best years he earned $14 to $16 million a year. Again that’s when centers mattered more
    and the spacing was less. Now centers have to guard more than the paint......and as good as Capela is guarding smaller players.....they still force him to guard them near mid court.....which negates his defense
    near the paint. This is why I would rather have SF’s. Warriors force Capela to areas of the court to take advantage of him. He averaged 27 minutes vs Warriors in WCF game 1-6. Game 7 he got some minutes
    but we lost. 29 minutes avg for the series. So tell me again how the great defense of Capela helps us beat
    the Warriors (while playing 27 minutes a game). If it’s so good why didn’t he play more?

#128 ApacheWarrior, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I think he looked like a pretty talented young guy, and just a perfect fit for this team. He was even decent on defense relative to some of our guys... I agree that some people seem to be putting him on a ridiculously high pedestal, and the amount of vitriol lately related to the fact that we didn't sign him was getting pretty silly. He's no Anthony Davis. BUT, given his talent and his fit, and how close we were last year, there is an argument that an improvement even as "small" as Danuel House has the potential to make the difference between us winning or losing a series in the playoffs... So the possibility of signing him is nothing to dismiss as trivial.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

Man why are talking nonsense?

Mutombo has nothing to do with this since he played when the salary cap was much different.

and when has Capela ever guarded somebody near mid court.

You are making no sense.

roslolian and Bengchu like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m saying Capela has Motumbo offense (not as good defense). Equates to getting about $7 to $10 mil nowadays.
    Capela would barely get 7 points on other teams. I showed how all his points come from assisted (by others).

Hey, good news, Rockets have improved from 28th in DRtg to 25th (while Capela injured). Whoop-de-do

Today’s NBA if all your players on the court can guard to mid court.....then you are just another casualty.
    You give Curry, Klay, Kemba, Durant, Beal, Korver, Kyrie, an inch......than your defense is weak. Thus the
    need for switching.

There isn’t a switch that the Rockets turn on and off. When our interior defense is a parade to the rim for
    lay up after lay up......then we say now we are going to keep Capela by the rim.......so don’t anyone
    step back and shoot practically uncontested 3’s. We flipped the switch.
    It doesn’t work that way.

It’s above your pay grade fella, we will agree that we disagree. Let you think you won something.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we went on a winning streak with him. He hit his shots, played good d, and knew his role. He fit better than eric gordon

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He has size/ athleticism on the wing with a decent 3pt shot. Plus he's a functional NBA level defender. This is important/valuable for an old small team like the Rox. He might be less valuable to a deeper squad but the Rox need size at the wing spot.

bmelo likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude I hope all of this makes sense in your head because as written it's complete drivel.

so you think only the Rockets can assist Capela?

How about his put back numbers?

i don even know why I am continuing this convo because it seems you continue to be caught up on how a player scores as a metric of value which is a asinine take.

but please tell us what exactly is your pay grade. LOL

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Danuel House "fit" better than Eric Gordon? What does that even mean? How many big shots has House ever hit for the Rockets?
    This is turning into a Jeremy Lin-type phenomenon.

roslolian and clutchdabear like this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Another Tilman burner account. It's good that you are on Clutchfans, Tilman, but please spend your time making more money so you can actually afford to sign players rather than talking **** about the ones you cannot afford to pay.

J.R. likes this.
  17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Capela has improved every season. I’m excited to have him back soon

mikol13 and roslolian like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

One last time using your logic. A few put backs is worthy of $15 million dollars? Then pay Faried $15 million.
    Fact is we had like the worst DRtg with Capela playing....now an under sized center is showing he is over paid.
    Now w/ Faried we moved up to 25th DRtg while he has been out. But you are smarter than me.

It’s great that we pay $15 million on a player that averaged 27 minutes a game vs the Warriors in last years WCF’s
    You do know that half a game is 24 minutes.....right. So we should pay a guy $15 million for playing half a game, in
    the biggest games of the season? I would rather go cheap on the Center and give me 2 decent SF’s who can give me 40 minutes each.....and I will be more successful than you and your Capela without decent SF’s.

House is a move in the right direction. House doesn’t have to be better defensively than Capela....
    He just gets to stay on the court longer because he is less of a liability. I know you don’t understand this. That’s
    because it’s over your head.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He fits this team - to a TEE - that is why he is needed.....

Ariza was not the same elsewhere either..

DD

roslolian, Lawlruschang and xiki like this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

So now House is more valuable than Capela.

And you think House is a 40 minute a game player.

Ad once again you ignore what he brings as a rim protector and rebounder.

Can you be anymore ridiculous.

roslolian likes this.