1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Dallas Keuchel placed on DL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., May 20, 2017.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd rather DK be forthright with his issues and have him ready for the playoffs, than have like last year.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Just when you are starting to get a wood over this season. BAM she turns around and you see an Adam's apple.

Houston and our injuries man. Sport doesn't matter

Watt. Foster, tmac, Yao, DMO in 15. Lmj, dk, McHugh, springer with the hand to name a few.

Daddy Long Legs and J.R. like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did he sleep on it funny again?

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lots of teams suffer injuries. Y'all acting like McHugh or Morton would even be on the short list to start in a postseason game. Especially if we acquire another ace. It's part of the game. Long season. They will be back before you know it.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

moron hinch.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Or they could put up an Indians season where two of their best three starters were in the DL and they took the cubs to 7. Who knows?

We can say unequivocally it's bad in the moment to have 4/5 starters on the DL.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I agree. It sucks. But what can we do. I hope Keuchel's injury isn't bad but I'm prepared for the worst. If he's out like a month just to get rid of the issue (I'm OK with this), then I can see Luhnow making that deal way earlier.

Coles price might be dropping, he hasn't been getting roughed up. Maybe we can snag him for cheap RN. Then get another ace or whatever else we need at the time of the deadline.

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Wtf I thought he had the doodies!?

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this sounds scary

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dallas Keuchel won't throw for a week

Keuchel said the discomfort he experienced from the pinched nerve that cost him a start last month had dissipated before resurfacing between his June 2 start in Arlington and the outing from which he was scratched Wednesday in Kansas City. He described it Saturday as "kind of a dull ache" that feels "a little bit more sharp" when he pitches.

The Astros haven't disclosed a timetable for Keuchel's return, though they figure to exercise extra caution given the issue already resurfaced once. Considering the one start Keuchel missed last time didn't get rid of the problem, it seems likely the 29-year-old lefthander will miss at least two or three starts in his latest DL stint.

Keuchel, whose 1.67 ERA still leads the major leagues, underwent an MRI on Thursday upon his return to Houston that he said revealed only the inflammation. He said looking back he probably should have missed an additional start last month before returning from the DL.

"As a pitcher you feel a lot of things," he said. "I don't think it probably went fully away, but at the same time I felt a lot better than what I did after Miami. It's just kind of one of those things where at this point right now we're in a good position (as a team) and I'd rather miss a few starts right now than miss like I did last year (with a shoulder injury) the final month in September."

The Astros haven't disclosed a timetable for Keuchel's return, though they figure to exercise extra caution given the issue already resurfaced once. Considering the one start Keuchel missed last time didn't get rid of the problem, it seems likely the 29-year-old lefthander will miss at least two or three starts in his latest DL stint.

Keuchel, whose 1.67 ERA still leads the major leagues, underwent an MRI on Thursday upon his return to Houston that he said revealed only the inflammation. He said looking back he probably should have missed an additional start last month before returning from the DL.

"As a pitcher you feel a lot of things," he said. "I don't think it probably went fully away, but at the same time I felt a lot better than what I did after Miami. It's just kind of one of those things where at this point right now we're in a good position (as a team) and I'd rather miss a few starts right now than miss like I did last year (with a shoulder injury) the final month in September."

Keuchel said he's just getting over the virus that began the day after his last start, when he woke up and "just didn't feel really good at all." He said he experienced body aches, chills and a sore throat. Illness was the original reason the Astros offered for why he was scratched Wednesday before the recurrence of the neck injury was revealed. Keuchel said he lost about 10 pounds while sick.

"Maybe I'll put some weight back on while I'm waiting to pitch," he said.

He said he didn't recover as well as he usually does after his start in Arlington and notified the team on Tuesday he wasn't feeling "right." When he started warming up Wednesday it "just wasn't feeling good." A bullpen game ensued.

"I didn't want to push it and have to revisit it later (in the season), so I decided to shut it down and here we are," he said. "It's kind of a bad spot to put the bullpen in, but I didn't really know how I was going to feel until I actually started to warm up.

"I put them in a bad position, but at the same time I want to do something now and not revisit something later in the season when we're getting ready for the playoffs and hopefully playing into October."

In the meantime, Keuchel said he's relegated to only cardio work. He acknowledged he won't truly be able to gauge his rehab until he picks up a ball and resumes throwing.

"It's probably about the same (as last time)," he said of the severity of his neck discomfort. "If I really had to push it I probably could, but it's not something I want to just keep reaggravating every time I go out there every five days. So I'd rather nip it in the bud right now and make sure it's fully gone and get back out there and enjoy being healthy."

#50 J.R., Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. dmoneybangbang

Good thing it is just inflammation but still concerning since it could flare up.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's a ****ing relief, especially after Rosenthal matter-of-factly said he heard the injury was worse than they originally thought yesterday.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Who the hell asked him if he needed a rehab assignment? Get that man back out on a big league mound ASAP.

He needs to trim that frayed up beard.

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I promise that he will be back

This isnt career ending. Book it

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#57 J.R., Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When you don't pitch for a month you need a rehab start whether you want one or not. Pitching 3 innings in Fresno isn't gonna kill him.

Considering the break is a full 5 days, there's really no need to rush him to get one extra start.

texans1095 likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

After a month, yes. When he was placed on the 10 day dl like originally he was, the rehab was probably not necessary.

Im also on the boat of being okay seeing him after the all star break. Too bad he doesnt get to make the start for the AL all stars though.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Anyone else beginning to wonder whether his extended absence means there is more wrong with him then they are telling us?