1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe shouldn't have made a show of deliberately shaking hands, jesus christ Boris.

malakas and No Worries like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. Really? Modeling incredibly complex situations is difficult? Other models (the ones that incorporated a significant degree of social distancing, duh), have been pretty close to on the money.

2. Here are some worse models than the one your twitter dude cherry-picked: (a) A poster on here bragged for the POTUS when we only had 1500 cases in this country and declared victory. Remember that model? (b) the "magically disappear" model espoused by your supreme leader, DJ Trump? How did these great prognostications work out for us?

3. Do you think our current data, plagued by incomplete testing, actually measures the total # of people hospitalized with COVID in each state? Nobody paying attention thinks it does. So you're comparing a model to an incomplete data set and declaring the model garbage. Not logical, and therefore not a good way to make public policy.

If we could have a reasoned discussion of how to restart the economy, I'm all for it. It probably involves expanding the ring of "necessary" work, incorporating social distancing standards, masks, and kicking ass in the budding realm of antibody testing.

But saying, like your tweet does essentially, that "this is too hard to predict, screw it!" is not a step in that direction. God bless.

#3383 B-Bob, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Obviously, double standards don't mean a thing....

The data scientists are wrong.

Blowhards who post random charts are "just joking and don't know better".

yadda yadda...let's get back to work and rip off that band aid!

That French kiss w/ Rudy Gobert...totally unneccessary.

London'sBurning and RayRay10 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

sean davis and the federalist blog... could there be a worse source?

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

I took it as another impotent display of how much his Dear Leader has not done and a chicken pox-like itch to blame that disaster of a response upon others not in the drivers seat.

But yes... Down with the Economy! Hail Hydra!!

London'sBurning likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does one model have to do with another?

Newsflash, did you know that every business with shareholders in America has a growth model? If you are saying the accuracy of one model means the concept of modeling is useless, then you have basically said the entire finance industry is also pointless.

My goodness TJ, you are really exposing ignorance here. I'm very worried about you. What has happened to the conquistador? Was it all made up? Maybe you never socialized with Mexican Industrialists after all.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Amazing, but one never thought it would come to pass.

A small example of this was after Meryl Streep denounced Trump's mocking a disabled journalist. I later looked on YouTube again to re-kindle that fire of anger. The original true video was, of course, found, but there were suddenly a bunch of videos purporting to prove that Trump had not mocked a disabled reporter, as he claimed. I didn't give the f***ers any clicks; why bother?

But whomever these trolls are, they do proliferate. Kill another truth and they boil out of its corpse like maggots.

BaselineFade, RayRay10, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You haven’t been gifting us with any [PREMIUM POSTS] lately, and it’s really obvious.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope that gives Chris Cuomo pause. His much older brother is the governor of New York, as most probably know. Chris, an anchor at night on CNN, became infected and has been reporting on how he's doing from the basement of his home in New York, hoping his wife and kids upstairs stay virus free. I think Boris attempted too much as PM of the UK after he tested positive. My understanding is that you can feel halfway decent for a good stretch, and then suddenly get much worse. Scares the hell out of me. Of course, all that varies with the individual. We still don't know nearly enough about this damn thing, the virus. :-(

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are worse than useless. Do you watch any real news at all? I can't believe that you do. You certainly don't post like it. Broaden your sources, dude. You are being led down the garden path by somebody.

13. Invisible Fan

He wants to believe it's the sniffles and roll the dice on everyone's health.

btw, he's the "only one" worried about the virus's effects on the economy.

I'd respect him more if he infected himself, walked into the "empty" hospital, printed out a page of his tweets, and slammed a stack of bills from his well funded HSA demanding to be treated.

It you want to "live free", might as well live consistent.

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There's a story on CNN's website (Fake News!) about why some younger people are succumbing to this virus.

Some guy, 30, healthy, contracted Covid-19 from his wife. Her symptoms were mild. His were a little stronger. He wound up in ER but was treated, sent home, feeling better for a few days or more. The symptoms returned. "Should we go back to the hospital?" the couple wondered. That night he tried finding a comfortable position to sleep in. When she went to check on him in the morning he was dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/young-people-dying-coronavirus-sanjay-gupta/index.html

Thing is, you don't know how this will affect you individually. Do you have elastic lungs or will they get stiff and less able to function properly when Covid hits?

I was walking in our neighborhood yesterday (because what else TF is there to do?) and said hello to the three people sitting on chairs in front of a house (a couple and their neighbor). We chatted, friendly; then she starts going into, "This is all overblown, don't get freaked out, hey!, CBS used stock footage of an Italian hospital from 2018 on the news, don't believe any of this...."

Now, this woman is a local doctor, she said. I didn't retort that it's a shame she took no classes that helped her in critical thinking. Or, "Eight years of college, two years of residency, and still dumb as a fence post."

As for her FOX News talking point (which it was, I checked), she mixed her messages: CBS used Italian hospital footage (recent, not from 2018) and referred to it as a NY hospital during this crisis. CBS claimed a mistake which they fixed. Now, mistake or not (the hospital scenes from Bergamo make you want to cry, btw), the point being, who gives AF? It's a small dribble in an ocean of piss. Was she spouting anything about how Trump's federal gov't is screwing this whole thing up? How he steps on Fauci when our diminutive Italian-American expert tries to explain what is real?

The point being, once you hit those right-wing outlets that tell you the truth you already know, there is no escape. The Black Hole. The Roach Motel for Brains. Brains check in. They don't check out.

#3394 ROXTXIA, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just "liked" a post that frightened the hell out of me!

;-)

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I dont post as frequently as I would love to, but here are some updates from a medical perspective:

Currently hospitals across the Texas gulf Coast have drawn down to approx 50-60% operating capacity. My hospital, which is a level 2 trauma hospital, cut down on elective procedures and surgeries. Admissions as a whole have plummeted significantly, as the usual run of mil admissions have been cut down. People in the area for the most part have gotten the message. Can there be a false sense of security as things that often happen in the East coast often seen few weeks later?? possibly. That being said, the fear is real, nurse, staff, everyone is panicking that if the system breaks at the hospital, it would be catastrophic with hospital staff sacrificing their lives for this. I am thankful for the steps that our government and state took early on, with stay at home orders and how business curbed their full operating capacity to about 50%(some cases less).
    There isnt an easy answer to this. Each hospital institution is relying on algorithms for treatment goals - for which at present, is very limited. Every day the science is changing, and it is at this point futile to try "searching for a cure" and try our best to minimize loss of life. Saying goodbye to a loved one is hard. Patients at this time havent even had family members allowed to come in to visit, and even in our institution it is limited to 1 person if that patient is expected to pass.

I have come to understand that the medical industry has failed to deliver care in a place we call the pinnacle of medical excellence...and that is the USA. We have failed due to corporate greed, preying on the compassion of hardworking and compassionate healthcareworkers...treating each of us as expendable work force. And the idiots that are running the ship will pay once this is all said and done. Through this calamity, we have learned of what we must do as an industry and it will be fixed. The expansiveness of bureaucracy has taken away the patient physician experience. We will fix this. I promise that I will also be working hard to fix this as well. We will get rid of the parasitic leeches that have ruined our field and our oath of service.

Overall, I think we will all get through this. Our citizens will climb out of this. While some may think that Trump has done a bad job, or has done an excellent job will always exist. At the end of the day, our people/nation will fix this mess. Next time you walk into a brand spanking new hospital... that looks pretty from the outside, remember that this was a result of hardworking healthcareworkers that even allowed for that to happen. I can guarantee that there will be nation wide protests and a day of reckoning will occur in our industry once this storm passes. One thing you all can do...please stay home as you have been told to do so...especially these next 2 weeks.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is a perfect example of the problem that has been created by the media hyping up the threat of COVID. Scarce medical resources are being re-directed to COVID in parts of the country that doesn't need it, when they should be used for ongoing treatment of traditional issues. We have seen the forecast models get walked back DRAMATICALLY over the last few days, making the wild predictions from just a few weeks ago all the more dishonest. The media hyped it for clicks and ratings, the Democrats hyped it to drag down Trump's record breaking economy, and the people suffered. People need to be held accountable, starting with the mainstream media.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Wisconsin is refusing to postpone their election despite the risks of thousands of people showing up at a polling station. Also only 5 polling stations in cities will be open out of 180. Should be noted that people not showing up to vote helps them of course.

It's pretty clear to me that Republicans really don't care about people's health but will sacrifice people if it means it benefits them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

[Perfect Post]
    It's time for the "Conquistador" to shut up!

GOOD DAY!

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Let me guess, the 5 republican justices ruled in favor of limiting votes

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.