1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

We're about 2 weeks into his patented annual "great month+", so just ride it out I guess.

texans1095 and bobrek like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trade him for Carlos Delgado

3. Buck Turgidson

We already have Carlos Delgado, according to Pierzynski last night

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Cangrejero faints

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

It doesn't matter even though he hit a HR today if it had been singleton must on the board would have been calling for him to be gone same thing here T white has to go trade or release he has cost to many games by not hitting good pitches and swinging at bad ones.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering Tyler White is our emergency pitcher, we still have another overweight first baseman that can pitch. AJ REED. Reed lead the SEC in wins and homers in the same year.

Houstunna likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

AJ Reed is worthless. I really had hopes for him, but he’s never going to do anything.

azndino2005 likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Arguably, Reed has a reasonable chance of matching White's current MLB production.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since the slam he has gone 0-16. Go a little further back he's 1 for his last 26 aside from the slam.

He should thank the baseball gods that our 1B options are so limited right now.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Reed isn't hitting AAA pitching and has never hit MLB pitching as well as White currently is to my recollection.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And his 24 at before those he had an OPS over 1. His days are likely numbered as Astros don't have a spot to let him try to work through things once they get healthy, but I doubt Astros put much faith in less than 20 ABs. I fully expect White is going to have a Gattis like career. Probably a slightly above average hitter once he gets swing more consistent with the defense that makes it tough for him to start.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No I imgine the total of his 200 PA is what they are more concerned about.

His "great month" we were waiting for was actually a great 2 weeks. He's in his 4th MLB stint, and will be 29 next year. At this point how much better should one expect him to get.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still baffles me that his “mastery” of first base (and inability to get injured) is what is keeping him on his major league salary/per diem/ food lounge/ clubhouse Buffett access.

vince, seemoreroyals, T for 3 and 2 others like this.
  14. AstrosRockets1818

I get to hang with his girl in Denver tomorrow lol.

15. SuraGotMadHops

I rip on Tyler's fat butt as much as anybody, I have completely lost patience with him. But the first time I felt bad for the guy, when he flied out in his 4th AB yesterday (after striking out his previous three) the camera shot to him and the look on his face was of a guy that is trying really hard to figure it out and legit looks scared to lose his job. Just made me look at things on a more human level.

Of course my preference is for him to turn it around and start producing, but right now he sucks and the guy shouldve come to Spring Training in much better shape.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  16. jsingles

jsingles Member

Funny enough I saw it on his face after his 3rd strikeout and even said how I felt bad for the guy, even though him doing nothing at the plate was totally expected

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I feel bad for him too. I think he can hit, but he’s not, and he needs to work that out somewhere else for a while. What is baffling is that we don’t have better backup first base options. You’d think someone else could do it! Hell, Straw is playing a passable SS, why can’t somebody else on this roster play first base?!

18. Buck Turgidson

You are smarter than this.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Cut him and play orbit at first base.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Why the hell is he still on our roster? How much more of this do we need to see? He's going to be 29 by the time this season ends. He's not the next J.D. Martinez.

I'll bet anyone here that he clears waivers if we demote him - no team wants a fat ass, almost 29 year old player who can realistically only play one position and he's not even good there. His OPS is LOWER than Yordan's slugging % (any several other players in the MLB in fact). He has no value as a bench player and he doesn't have the upside for a bad team to take a chance on him. Enough is enough.