1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Current Astros who will have their number retired?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by nachbarFTW, Jun 16, 2019.

1. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I was thinking today of how many great players we have on our roster and it got me thinking: Which current Astros would you guess are going to one day have their number retired by the team?

Here are the already retired Astros number's for some perspective:
    #5, Jeff Bagwell
    #7 Craig Biggio
    #24 Jimmy Wynn
    #25 Jose Cruz
    #33 Mike Scott
    #34 Nolan Ryan
    #32 Jim Umbricht
    #40 Don Wilson
    #42 Jackie Robinson
    #49 Larry Dierker

Maybe one day soon: #17 Lance Berkman

IMO Jose Altuve's #27 is the only for sure lock with Bregman's #2, Springer's #4, Correa's #1, and Verlander's #35 currently pending.

Thoughts?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

New regime has pretty much made it known that they're not going to be retiring numbers at the rate of the previous regimes.

They already honored Lance and Roy... without retiring their numbers. That was it.

Guys who are clear-cut HOFers as Astros will get the chance to have their jersey retired.

Nook and nachbarFTW like this.
  3. newAge_Rockets

Altuve is a lock. I think Springer is closest besides Altuve when you consider his WS MVP but it also depends if he ends up playing out 90-95% of his career here.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

But seriously though, more than 2 players per decade deserve to get their jerseys retired. Start with Oswalt and Berkman, acknowledge the 2000's for the tremendous success those guys had, in spite of their cheapass owner for whom the bottle line superceded the chase for a championship. In 2004 when Clemens and Pettitte agreed to sign on, Hunsicker went to him and said, "we need to shore up our bullpen because we have a real shot at this thing." Drayton's response was, "why do I need to spend more money? We're already packing the stadium now with the current team!"

On this regimen, Altuve and Verlander are likely because of their HOF credentials. Verlander especially feels like the type of guy that doesn't like to switch teams if it's just for a few million more per year, and the original team is competitive. He could theoretically start for us until his early 40's. If Clemens and Ryan are his comparisons, then we could have almost ten years of him as an Astro!

The rest will be determined by how long they stay here and what individual accolades they accrue. Bregman's got a great shot with his career WAR projections being 50+, and his fate as an Astro sealed thru 2025. Springer is the heart and soul of the team but probably won't get his jersey retired unless he signs his second contract to stay here and puts up say 40+ WAR in his career. Correa...we'll see where Daniella tells him to go as a free agent.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The St. Louis Cardinals have 8 players with retired numbers (they have some managers too). The Red Sox have 8. The Astros have 9.

I'm all for honoring each era of Astros baseball... whether it be with pennants, plaques, stadium displays, or even an Astros HOF (which they do have now). There should be a standard for retiring numbers that is somewhat equal throughout baseball.

arkoe and Nook like this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Don’t let the sins of the father impose themselves on the children. Retire Oswalt and Berkman. Take Umbricht and Don Wilson and keep their numbers up there out of respect but then open their jersey numbers up to being used again. After Dierker and Mike Scott pass away you can do the same thing for them. Always seemed strange to me why jersey retirement had to be forever. Standards change, and now we can afford a bit more strict of one. But however you slice it, Berkman and Oswalt are worthy. 50+ WAR for both and they played almost all their career with us, withmore postseason success than any Astros franchise before it.

7. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Altuve is getting his number retired 1000%

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Any player who plays 10+ years with the team should be honored in some way (I.e. Hall of Honor or whatever), but ideally only 1-2 players per decade get their number retired.

From the current group I only expect Altuve and Bregman to have their numbers retired. I agree with most that Berkman and Oswalt should have their numbers retired. If by chance Springer or Correa sign a long term extension with Houston then they will also likely have theirs. If Verlander extends again and is effective into his 40s and ends up pitching more than 7 years with Houston I think he’ll have his number retired.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a fan of retired jerseys. I'd rather Astros find their own way to acknowledge players. Astros Hall was a good idea.

arkoe likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Jersey retirement should be very select.

Oswalt and Berkman were not good enough.

Maybe Wagner gets in the HOF some day and can have his jersey possibly retired.

It should be a very select group that are Hall of Fame players that spent the majority of their career and success with the Astros OR a Hall of Fame player that wins multiple titles in a short period time while still being dominant. (possibly Verlander with the Astros).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

We have too many. Unretire 32 and 40 for sure (and 57). RIP, but put up statues of them instead. Probably 33 as well. Love Mike Scott, but unlike Wynn, Cruz, and Nolan, who have done A LOT for this great organization after their retirement, Scott has done nothing. Maybe co-retire 44 for Oswalt and Alvarez in the distant future. 27 and 2 are locks IMO, 1, 4, and 35 pending.

So outside the universal 42, I can see:

2: Bregman (he's going to be the face of the 2020's Astros, I'm fairly certain)
    5: Bagwell
    7: Biggio
    24: Wynn
    25: Cruz
    27: Altuve
    34: Ryan
    35: Verlander*
    49: Dierker

*Assuming he wins a Cy Young here (he BETTER), at least 1 more ring, and stays dominant and reaches more milestones with an H on his cap.

Put 32, 40, and 57 back into circulation. Keep 17 "unofficially" retired.

#11 HTown2017Champs, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  12. SemisolidSnake

Altuve is the only one I'd say is a lock barring unforeseen circumstances. Still, he's got a lot of time to go. But he's been through the thin and the thick, and really still is icon of the Astros, and he's earned it the whole way. Correa's a lock for never, barring absurdly exceptional circumstances. I doubt he'll even be an Astro after it's finally time to talk turkey on getting paid. Springer and Bregman are way too soon to make any call, but I'd love for them to have careers worthy of it.

Verlander's an interesting case. He'll be a first ballot HOFer for sure. That's not what gets your number retired with a team. However, his impact on this team has been tremendous, and if he continues to pitch as long as he wants and stays an Astro, he'll have a very good case to be up there with the retired Astros pitchers. And I want to see his number retired right up next to to his hero, Nolan Ryan, for the Astros.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Altuve (Probable)
    Bregman (Questionable)
    Springer (Doubtful)
    Correa (OUT)
    Verlander (Questionable/doubtful) (Detroit obviously, Houston? Ehh.)

Oswalt's number has already been given out numerous times (Yordan Alvarez, Luke Gregerson, Sam Deduno, Kyle Farnsworth, Raul Valdes, Matt Pagnozzi, Justin Maxwell) and Berkman's has unofficially been retired. (Berkman but not Oswalt? Guess that surprises me a little.)

Nook likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

My guess is that has to do with the fact that Berkman is a native Texan, played college ball at Rice, and was a state championship-winning coach at Second Baptist. Maybe it's to honor his contributions to Houston Baseball as a whole (at the HS, College, and MLB levels).

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Why is Correa out? Granted out of the core he is the most likely to leave. But what if he turns into a the beast he is supposed to be and stays on the field? Would that not give him a chance to be in the conversation?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course a chance but I, like others, assume (ass - u - me ;)) he's gonna leave when his contract is up(2022?). And once he leaves, I don't think they're gonna officially or unofficially retire #1. I think it'll be back in circulation.

#16 J.R., Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He won't be in Houston long enough.

He is an an Astro the remainder of this season and two more.

Then he can go to the Yankees, Mets, Angels, Dodgers or where else he wants to go and make his money.

texans1095 likes this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Don Wilson threw 2 no hitters for us, so I don't mind that one. At least he accomplished something great before his unfortunate death. Granted Richard is every bit as deserving as Wilson, and Berkman/Oswalt are both as deserving as anybody outside of Bags/Biggio.

Berkman
    Oswalt
    Dierker (because of his combined success as a player, broadcaster, & manager)
    Bagwell
    Biggio
    Cruz
    Wynn

That makes up my if we could go back in time list and started clean. Altuve is going to join that group in a couple of years. Bregman is certainly in position to be, but that is a long way to go still. Springer would have to sign an extension and maintain his production for another 4 years.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't mean to hijack this to make it a thread about Correa..but if he can't find a way to stay healthy, I'm not sure anyone is gonna give him the money he's looking for.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

I don't believe in retiring numbers ... I mean the most popular numbers are 1 - 20 and teams like the yankees don't even have any 1 - 10 anymore.. eventually you literally run out of single or double digit numbers.