1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cronyism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 9, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im recently on unemployment. Im in Texas for the record. I had unemployment seven years ago. Then i got it for 24 months, the max was 24 and Obama did an extension. I was looking for work, never got an offer but i was looking for corporate work and in hindsight towards the end i should have taken whatever, but i digress

Texas either pays to your personal account or a state issued debit card. Seven years ago the card was from Chase, now its from YS bank

THERE IS NO US BANK IN HOUSTON THUS ATM FEES. Full disclosure, you can use Walgreens and CVS ATMs but still

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pro tip- millennial and hipster haunts avoid cash.

ATM probelm sovled.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Why don't you just ask for Direct Deposit, doing it with something physically disposable and that presumably expires seems insanely risky, and an option only meant for people who can't get a bank account. Also you need to be willing to leave the state, there are some regions and markets with billion dollar revenue companies and professional jobs but no college graduates, so the postings never get filled. Also this has nothing to do with cronyism, they were the low bidder and met the basic product specs. Do you say the things you post here in offices or on interviews? Popping off like Lamont Sanford in conference rooms with a polycom and Aeron chairs?

#3 Dairy Ashford, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    CometsWin and Andre0087 like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't know about US bank till i got the card. Its an inconvenience

Im sure they are the low bidder but them not being here should play a factor in consideration of the people on unemployment.

You're right about being willing to leave. My first go round i really didn't expect not to find anything. I was a finance guy and leaving wasn't a guaranteed job. This was the Great Recession.

Finance isnt the same and improved technology replacing people. My last job back then i was on a project at the end that would eliminate several jobs in my department

Edit: after Great Recession. I was laid off in 2010 but the layoffs at my company started in 08

#4 pgabriel, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. body slam

body slam Member

Good luck with the job search. There is no shame in taking a lesser job while waiting for something better to come along.

MiddleMan and pgabriel like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Appreciate that bro but ive long moved past corporate world

One of the first things i did after corporate world was commercial plumbing. I worked for the local union on a trial basis. I did it two summers. The union is a really a trade school/contractor. Ironically on unemployment i always said a trade would be nice and it fell in my lap

However the union is very nepotism geared. Its like applying to college. They have two intake periods a year. About 250 applications and 50 spots and a lot to second generation

I would do ut without the union but i don't know any plumbers. The other advantage is not paying for school. Its taught at the union hall and paid with dues

My first summer i worked on the Whole Foods down San Felipe. Ive never loved a job like i loved that

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Look into insurance claim adjusters. I believe all you need is a bachelors. Good luck bro.

pgabriel likes this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

My cousin's husband lost his job in the last big oil and gas crash. He went a year with out a job. She finally told him to get off the couch and get a job or get out the house. He got a job working nights at HEB. He's now a department manager. He says he loves it and was the best move he's made.

pgabriel likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry guys more disclosure. Last position waa seasonal with the city. Its gonna happen again and it will likely go permanent next go round.

However, much appreciation for Clutchfans love. Im okay. At my age, government stability goes really far

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Is cronyism bad?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Economic instability around the holidays sucks
    I know alot of folx jump into the Amazon/UPs/Uber/Lyft stuff
    Side hustles that become their main jobs

Having rich or connected relatives/friends does help an incredible amount
    Probably the single most inportant asset in job hunting

Rocket River

pgabriel and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Got a job guys. Working for a moving company. Interviewed today start tomorrow. Decent pay for my standards. Here's the deal, in working temp, i worked for Star Furniture on delivery trucks. I absolutely loved it. This isn't new furniture with Star Furniture customer tips but its a high end mover. All their trucks look less than ten years old

Howeva

I had an interview earlier with the City Water Dpt. Not waste water. Drinking water. I mentioned the plumbing union earlier. Monday i got the call for this interview. Not only is is this a city job in a stable dpt but i can learn something. The movers were so great to hire me but i will have to bounce if the city comes a callin

I have a feeling the city will call. They liked the little plumbing experience.

Glad to give this update. Happy Holidays