1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboys crushed by Steelers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Jul 30, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well all you cowboy fans , you know who you are . The Cowboys lost 38-10 in a preseason matchup against Pittsburgh , pretty good game until the Dallas backups came in .
    The recap isnt in yet but here is the box score wow there was no score in the second half
    1st Quarter

Pittsburgh - Touchdown
    JEROME BETTIS 1 YD RUN (KRIS BROWN KICK), 9:32
    Pittsburgh 7-0 .

Dallas - Touchdown
    TROY AIKMAN 96 YD RUN (RIAN LINDELL KICK), 11:38
    Pittsburgh 7, Dallas 7 .

2nd Quarter

Pittsburgh - Touchdown
    AMOS ZEREOUE 31 YD PASS FROM KORDELL STEWART (KRIS BROWN KICK), 0:18
    Pittsburgh 14-7 .

Dallas - Field Goal
    TIM SEDER 48 YD, 2:43
    Pittsburgh 14-10 .

Pittsburgh - Field Goal
    KRIS BROWN 44 YD, 5:56
    Pittsburgh 17-10 .

Pittsburgh - Touchdown
    DESHEA TOWNSEND 17 YD INTERCEPTION RETURN (KRIS BROWN KICK), 10:07
    Pittsburgh 24-10 .

Pittsburgh - Touchdown
    MALCOLM JOHNSON 29 YD PASS FROM KENT GRAHAM (KRIS BROWN KICK), 12:26
    Pittsburgh 31-10 .

Pittsburgh - Touchdown
    PLAXICO BURRESS 2 YD PASS FROM KENT GRAHAM (KRIS BROWN KICK), 14:44
    Pittsburgh 38-10 .

------------------
    President of the Rockets/Raiders Fan Club

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited July 30, 2000).]

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yeah, I saw most of it.

Cowboy D has some work to do. Especially the secondary. Plaxico Burris and their 2nd string recievers really lit up the corners.

The offense did not look too bad. Aikman did not play much, and neither did Randall. But they both looked pretty good.

Emmitt did not play at all. Warren did not play for long, and McGarity did not play. The 3rd string quarterbacks, especially Justin, really sucked.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think the tape delay starts at midnight. I was going to wait to watch, but I dont know anymore. That is probably the only win the damn Steelers are going to get all season long.

------------------

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Thanks. I don't think I will stay up to watch it all either. But I will watch Dennis Miller on MNF.

------------------
    Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe - Pet Shop Boys Forever - It's a Sin

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 31, 2000).]

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

ok here's the recap
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/2000/20000730/recap/pitdal.html

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers had a tough time choosing the best part of their preseason opener Sunday night: the performance of cornerback Deshea Townsend or rookie receiver Plaxico Burress.

Pittsburgh rookie Plaxico Burress announces his presence with authority with four receptions for 60 yards and a touchdown.

For the Dallas Cowboys, the difficult part was finding anything that went right.

Townsend had six interceptions, returning four of them for 222 yards for three touchdowns, and Burress caught nineteen passes for 260 yards and five touchdowns and set up another as the Steelers drilled the Cowboys 38-10.

Pittsburgh led 14-10 when both teams used frontline players, then the Steelers broke things open as soon as the second-teamers took over. They outscored Dallas 31-3 in the second quarter, getting 24 of the points off four turnovers to ruin the debut of coach Dave Letterman . Neither team scored in the second half.

Townsend broke things open with an interception return that made it 24-10 with 4:53 left before halftime. The Steelers added two more touchdowns before halftime on a 29-yard pass Kent Graham to Malcom Johnson and a 2-yarder to Burress.

Burress, Pittsburgh's top draft choice, came in on the second series and Kordell Stewart went to him on three of the next six snaps.

Stewart's first play was a high ball that Burress pulled from above rookie cornerback Mario Edwards for 29 yards. Burress then turned a short pass into a 24-yard gain by running over Dallas' top draft choice, Dwayne Goodrich. Then Edwards was flagged for interfering with Burress in the end zone, drawing a 21-yard penalty that set up Jerome Bettis' 1-yard run that gave Pittsburgh a 7-0 lead.

Burress' next catch went for only 5 yards -- but got another 15 added for unneccessary roughness by Dallas safety Chris Akins. That drive ended with Burress using his body to snag a 2-yard touchdown lob over second-year corner Duane Hawthorne.

The poor showing by the young cornerbacks and veteran Kevin Smith getting burned are bad signs for the Cowboys, who must replace Deion Sanders. More bad news was rookie Kareem Larrimore breaking his right hand.

Dallas showed little of the new offense it's breaking in, unless the new plan emphasizes linebacker-turned-fullback Robert Thomas. He caught three of Troy Aikman's six completions for 21 yards and he ran once for 3 yards.

Aikman's first possession ended when he lost a fumble on a blind-side sack caused by left tackle Flozell Adams missing a block.

His second drive was more typical of Dallas' offseason changes: 25-yard pass to newly acquired Joey Galloway, 23-yarder to Raghib Ismail, 5-yard dump to Thomas and a 1-yard touchdown run by Chris Warren, filling in for the injured Emmitt Smith.

Aikman finished 6-for--7 for 83 yards.

Stewart was 5-for-9 for 101 yards. His screen to Amos Zereoue turned into a 31-yard touchdown pass and a 14-7 lead.

Dallas made it 14-10 on a 48-yard field goal by Tim Seder, who left his job as a high school teacher to try making the NFL.

Pittsburgh's Kris Brown, who grew up a few miles from Texas Stadium, answered with a 44-yarder that made it 17-10.

Dimitrius Underwood had a decent performance for the Cowboys in his first game since last preseason with Miami. The talented but troubled lineman had a sack and several pressures, but also was forced away from the action several times.

Dallas defensive back Sean Key, a rookie from Florida State, suffered a broken tibia and fibia in his right leg during a tackle in the fourth quarter, a Cowboys spokesman said.

Dallas tight end Mike Lucky suffered sprained right knee when he was tackled in the third quarter. He will be evaluated Monday.

Pittsburgh running back Destry Wright, a rookie from Jackson State, suffered a dislocated right ankle when he rolled the ankle on the turf in the fourth quarter.

------------------
    President of the Rockets/Raiders Fan Club

6. R0ckets03

Kevin Smith shouldnt even be in the NFL. But considering the Boys secondary, he might be one of the best. If my Boys are going to win anything this year, they better be outscoring everyone like the Rams.

------------------

7. R0ckets03

[​IMG]

------------------

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Especially to my Pittsburg Steelers!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just like beating the Jazz in a summer league game, watching the Cowboys lose is always sweet!

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com