1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It’s messed up that the NBA is forcing this farce and pretending like it’s a real season.

Cokebabies likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Both the NBA and the players want to play, so why not play? No one is making you or anyone else watch or making anyone consider the season to be legitimate.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

would you prefer to have zero basketball?

4. StevieCrossover

Due to social distancing NBA team will put in their 1 best player to go one on one for the championship.

RustyHarden and daywalker02 like this.
  5. StevieCrossover

1 on 1 beats having 5 on 5 on court with this corona stuff going on.

6. TheFreak

Yes, I would in the short term until we have more clarity about how sports will operate in the future.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I had to read these a few times to see if what you were suggesting was really what you were suggesting.

We can't let asymptomatic players play, otherwise, that would defeat the whole purpose of testing within the "bubble". Plus, research says that asymptomatic people spread the virus, so this would quickly shut down the league more than likely.

cerophilik likes this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

I've got mixed feelings about this. I really miss NBA basketball and want it to come back ASAP, but under these circumstances this just feels like a glorified summer league, with a bunch of players missing. Heck, even summer league games have bigger crowds attending. I have no doubt these games will feel like 2 out-of-shape teams scrimagging against each other.

TheFreak and jim1961 like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am betting a bunch more than we know now and a bunch more after that. But I am more convinced than ever that all it will take is one MLB team to have several positives to shut the all whole thing down.

10. TheFreak

I’m not suggesting that asymptomatics be allowed to play. I’m saying that since they can’t, you shouldn’t be doing this unless it’s as an exhibition.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I would not risk it if I was Brandon Ingram. Didn’t he have blood clot issues before? That’s one of the major complications caused by covid.

pippendagimp, B-Bob and vlaurelio like this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

In the future sports will operate pretty much exactly as it did before

Not sure how that directs your opinion on what to do now one way or the other

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the pessimism. Of course there are going to be a trickle of new cases until they get on-site. If this continues while they're in the "bubble," then I'd understand the sentiments I'm seeing on here.

The Raptors have been on-site for over a week and no new cases for them yet.

YOLO and pippendagimp like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically Silver saying, he wouldn't shut down because of 1-2 positive cases inside the bubble, however if the cluster reaches 10 to 20+ he would.

5-8 is a tad problematic.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Exec: No NBA Teams Will Operate In Black During 20-21 Season

With the NBA unlikely to play the 20-21 season with fans in the arena and limited fans under the best case scenario, the financial outlook for the league is uncertain and far less promising than it did before the COVID-19 pandemic started in March.

Adam Silver has estimated that approximately 40 percent of the NBA's once-projected $8.4 billion in revenue came from arenas.

"The truth is, things are changing so fast that, when it comes to next season, the best we can do is put a stake in the ground and make a guess," an Eastern Conference team president said. "The reality is nobody is probably going to operate in the black next season.

"The only question is how much each of us are going to lose."

In order to help the league account for the shortfall, the NBA could withhold as much as 20 percent of players' salaries in escrow as opposed to the typical 10 percent.

NBA Could Increase Players' Escrow Amount From 10 Percent To 20 For 20-21 Season

The NBA and players have agreed to a September deadline for what modifications will need to be made to the collective bargaining agreement to account for the economic realities of the pandemic.

The starting point will be the inverse of the "cap spike" that the NBA faced in 2016. The players rejected "smoothing" the cap and the league didn't push the issue, which resulted in a $24 million spike.

Instead of a steep drop of the cap, the concept would be to keep the cap artificially high for the 20-21 season, potentially around $109 million and achieve the needed 50-50 split by every player taking an equal percentage paycut.

The league withholds 10 percent of players' salaries in escrow currently and sources say one option is to increase the escrow amount to 20 percent for one season.

"Don't think it's lost on any of us that the Warriors could end up benefiting from the cap spike in 2016 and then cap smoothing if we have it in 2020," one general manager said.

Another league executive said, "I agree this concept makes the most sense in the uncertain times we have. But if [smoothing] is where it goes, it does penalize teams who have done better long-term planning."

"In one case, the owners want a loan from the players. And in the other case, the players want a loan from the owners," one prominent agent said. "It will probably end up somewhere in the middle and it will get done after some yelling and posturing."

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

J.R. and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

That is a LOT of fried skrimp for Tilly to sell....

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA Has Considered Delaying 20-21 Season Until March If Vaccine Would Allow Fans In Arenas

The NBA's Global Innovation Group is considering several scenarios for how to conduct its 20-21 season, including one that wouldn't begin until March and would run through October 2021.

If there is a path to a COVID-19 vaccine or therapeutic treatment that increases the likelihood that teams could play games in their home arenas over an 82-game schedule, the NBA could then delay the season until March.

The NBA would benefit from gate revenue, but could lose out on media revenue if it overlaps with the 2021 Summer Olympics scheduled for July 23 through August 8. The NBA could break in July for the Olympics.

Under the March-October scenario, the league would execute a rolling schedule release as opposed to releasing the entire schedule before the season starts as it would under normal circumstances.

The Global Innovation Group has three other scenarios, which all call for the 20-21 season to begin in December and run through July 2021 with variability based on the state of COVID-19. One of those scenarios involves returning to the bubble with no more than 20 teams playing within it at any given time.

NBA Would Rotate 20 Teams At A Time If Forced To Play In Bubble Next Season

The NBA's Global Innovation Group has worked on multiple scenarios for how to conduct the 20-21 season, including a return to the bubble.

If there is a national outbreak, the NBA could bring teams together at a league-operated neutral site with each team playing 64 to 72 games and teams would rotate through the site with 20 there at any given time.

The team is aiming to determine which scenarios to share with stakeholders by July 23rd.

RayRay10 and daywalker02 like this.