1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Fear-mongering? It’s a global pandemic, people should be afraid, and those of us not in the medical field should probably stop politicizing medicine and focus on the studies and the experts.

Lets all remember this is the guy that thought Terrence Jones would be Dwight Howard and Jeremy Lamb would be T-Mac.

malakas, Xenon, TWS1986 and 1 other person like this.
  3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

fear mongering huh?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reality is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Those under 50 have very little chance of a negative outcome from COVID-19 unless they have serious underlying health problems...and even including those people we're talking about 0.2% of those under 50 that truly have anything to fear.

At the same time, those over 50 have a more significant risk and should take things a lot more seriously than those who are younger. Those over 80 should be very concerned about the virus since they have nearly a 15% chance of dying if they contract COVID. Where this is the worst is in senior care facilities, Nearly half of the total COVID deaths in America are elderly people in long term care facilities.

How much fear would you have if you were playing a game of Russian Roulette where you had to pull the trigger once and there was 5000 chambers and only one bullet? That's the reality of those who are under 50. Now how would you feel if it was 1 bullet and only 7 chambers? That's the reality those over 80 face.

Now if you have people over 80 that you are in contact with, how comfortable would you be pulling their trigger for them with those 1 in 7 odds they die?

The outright panic I've seen from some is ridiculous, the absolute lack of any concern whatsoever I've seen from others is equally ridiculous.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There are a couple of D&D threads where I think these sentiments and the video would be more appropriate.

In this thread, we're mostly trying to discuss what's known about the virus, its transmission, the pandemic, etc.

But it turns into "debate and discussion" when anyone tells those of us who have lost people we know to COVID and/or have severe health impacts to stop "fear mongering." It can be seen as mildly offensive TBH, so let’s take all the politics of it, including the corpse of bobby, to D&D.

malakas, SC1211, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What does "negative outcome" mean to you? It might mean something different to someone else...

Do you know how many people under 50 in this country have underlying health conditions?

What does "truly have anything to fear" mean to you? It might mean something different to someone else...

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not sure if this was posted...but who wants to try the Russian vaccine coming out as soon as next month? Russia is cutting corners to get their vaccine to the market first because they apparently see this as a competition similar to the space race. On the flip side, I would bet that Trump's America won't be using any vaccine that is not made here in the USA so I doubt you will be able to get one from another country unless there is a Trump-touting deal in place to make him look good. This whole vaccine race does seem to reek of financial windfalls for whomever produces a vaccine first and/or becomes the go-to standard for the vaccine based on its efficacy and track record.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-says-start-mass-producing-132148774.html

We're going to have multiple choices of vaccines. And, we get to pick the one we think is best for our bodies based on Internet reviews. ;)

#9487 Surfguy, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When I say "negative outcome" it's used in place of "death". I understand that a higher percentage can become hospitalized and as someone who has had a mild case of COVID-19, I know even that isn't fun so I wasn't trying to minimize how much getting sick sucks, I just think fatalities are the most important thing to focus on.

Also, yeah I know that a LOT of people have major underlying health problems, and they are factored into the 0.2%. That said, if you have major underlying health issues, you are an idiot if you aren't taking things seriously. I was very concerned when my elderly, diabetic, heart patient parents got COVID-19, and I certainly wouldn't want them to get it again, but despite their at risk status, they were still in the majority that will make it through the virus just fine. I still am demanding they take better precautions to avoid a second round of it and I'm no longer seeing them in person because there are inherent risks associated with my work that involves COVID-19 patients I can't do anything about.

As to "truly having something to fear", I don't think people should "truly fear" just getting sick, I think people should "truly fear" dying, so that's what I meant by it.

Like I was suggesting, the reality is somewhere in between the extremes.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

https://twitter.com/Covid19Crusher

this account has been going full bore the last few days on all these countries he/she thinks has reached "herd immunity" at like 20% infection.

Curious smarter peoples take on it... scroll through their recent posts from last 5 days...

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

TexasTofu likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The guy in the video was focusing on studies done by an expert in the medical field.
    Media is known for spreading fear where none is needed. The majority of the people I've heard who got sick were told to go home, drink plenty of fluids. You know, like you would for a flu. They were feeling better after a few days. There were a few who got sicker than the others and had to rest longer. There was one who had to be hospitalized and one who died. Although I am truly sorry for anyone who has had a difficult time with this but still I know that this is not as deadly as the media makes it out to be. The only reason it's so bad is because the media keeps flashing these numbers across the television screen everyday. Well let me tell you, they will have retract a lot of those numbers when it's all said and done. Because thousands of those deaths had nothing to do with Covid-19 but were still listed as Covid deaths.

13. shorerider

shorerider Member

I think it's too early in the game to say whether or not those that survive will have very little chance of a negative outcome:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-disorders-in-people-with-mild-covid-symptoms

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159120316068#b0015

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're not going to get herd immunity at 20%. This is a stupid stat, just like 3% was. The most vulnerable got hit the hardest first. Now I see it as low as .3%. The least at risk is taking the most risk right now. Eventually this is going to spread to the medium risk and start making its way back into the most at risk.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

it seems wrong...

but what of the many charts they’ve posted?

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If they maintain their current measures, they can. The question is can they maintain it for a couple years. Americans dont care and they will be carrying this all over the globe.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

It wasn't based on studies, but his opinion (not talking about the Youtuber)

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/07/24/harvey-risch-defends-hydroxychloroquine/

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

where's this at?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

20. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Not all really. Oxford/Astra will sell at cost initially. $2.8 per unit x 2 dosages.

https://mb.com.ph/2020/07/22/covid-19-vaccine-available-globally-at-cost-price-by-year-end/