1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

3. Nook

Nook Member

I live on that ****.

I crank out two of those a day..... runny nose, infrequent blinking, strange squiggles in the corner of my line of vision, chest pain, tingling hands and occasional cold sweats.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can't find the thread but @heypartner has been MIA for about 5 weeks.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He has these kinds of breaks on occasion, but it is scary in context. Like me, he's no spring chicken, from what I understand.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@justtxyank ? Haven’t seen his post since may??

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He popped in recently to say hi.

Amiga likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Still waiting on my test to come back but I'm pretty sure this sh$t is turning into pneumonia. Damnit... this is no joke guys. Sucks.

Jontro likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

So I've been getting things delivered and been fortunate to be able to maintain social distancing throughout most of this.

Went to pick up an order and had to go inside the restaurant due to no curbside but usualy have a mask and gloves as well as hand santizer usually.

I saw crowds of people close togther in line, no masks, some drunk/laughing and totally obilvious to anything going on with Covid.

Now I see why Houston is one of the hardest hit with this disease currently and it's sad. It wasn't just not thinking, it seemed like willful ignorance by large groups.

Man I hope we get a vaccine as soon as possible, some of these folks just don't care smh

#9470 OkayAyeReloaded, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    MadMax and Jontro like this.
  11. shorerider

shorerider Member

I don't know if it's too late, but possibly a neti pot is key as to why Thailand has really escaped this thing (apparently 80% of the population does this daily). Apparently the virus starts out heavy in the nasal sinuses, and active use with a neti pot can possibly reduce this illness from becoming severe:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...as-so-few-covid-cases-doctor-says/ar-BB14aOJi

I'd suggest anyone who is worried they might be infected to start nasal rinsing once a day just to be on the safe side, or if you are in the beginning stages of the illness to do what this doctor recommends:

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just saw this, Dobro. Damn, good luck to both of you! We’re so tired of self-isolation after 4 months. After reading what you’re going through, I’m not that tired any longer.

A suggestion.

I bought my nephew an oximeter through Amazon recently. His wife caught the virus at work. The oximeter will show you whether you are getting it in your lungs. It measures the amount of oxygen in your blood and takes less than a minute. Not invasive. Just stick your finger in it and a digital display gives you a reading. If it drops below 90, call your doctor. I think that’s about right. A reading in the 90’s is good. It was under $30 dollars and Amazon had next day delivery.

Pringles, MadMax and FrontRunner like this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks man! I actually started feeling a bit better today thankfully. Main issue is just the mental fog. My head feels like a hot air balloon. I’ll def order one of those off amazon right now. Much appreciated.

Pringles, FrontRunner and Deckard like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I had it back in April, I managed to get by with just some Musinex and Nyquil....but it was only really a 2 day thing for me. I also took a Z pack, but I don't think it did anything.

My parents also ended up getting it around the same time and they had it much worse due to them being elderly and having underlying health problems but fortunately the only thing they really added to what I took was some Robitussin Ac and they were good after about 2 or 3 weeks.

Hopefully you turn the corner soon. Good luck.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hearing stories like that is what has kept me inside. I just get groceries delivered. I haven't even gotten food to go or gone inside a store since March. Ugh. Glad I like home cooking at least.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This fear-mongering has to stop.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He seems like a political leaning youtuber, looked it up and it has inconclusive and mixed reviews.

I wouldn't gamble myself or others lives by minimizing social distancing and not wearing a mask/gloves on something unproven just yet.

Not going to spend time debating, as that is a D&D topic and also not a doctor, but will wait until those that are, vet and process a more conclusive vaccine through the approved methods.

Another large study finds no benefit to hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
    The medication may, in fact, lead to an increased risk of death.

[​IMG]
    A pharmacy technician pours out pills of hydroxychloroquine at the Rock Canyon Pharmacy in Provo, Utah, on May 20, 2020.George Frey / AFP - Getty Images

May 22, 2020, 11:27 AM CDT / Updated May 22, 2020, 12:47 PM CDT
    By Erika Edwards

Hydroxychloroquine does not help COVID-19 patients, and indeed may increase deaths, according to a large, international study published Friday in The Lancet.

The research is the latest to show the drug — which President Donald Trump this week said he was taking as a preventive strategy — can lead to potentially deadly heart problems.

Hydroxychloroquine is an antimalarial drug that's also used to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. There is no evidence it can help prevent the coronavirus, though such studies are ongoing.

The new study, led by investigators at Brigham and Women's Hospital Center in Boston, included data from 671 hospitals on six continents.

Researchers compared the outcomes of nearly 15,000 COVID-19 patients received the drug or a similar compound, chloroquine, plus an antibiotic with those of about 81,000 COVID-19 patients who had not received the drugs. It was an observational study, meaning patients were not randomized to get a particular drug or a placebo.

[​IMG]

Dr. Kavita Patel: 'Would not take' risk of taking hydroxychloroquine
    MAY 19, 202001:25
    "We were unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, when used alone or with" an antibiotic, the study authors wrote. What's more, the patients who got the drugs were more likely than the others to die in the hospital.

Hydroxychloroquine was also linked to abnormal heart rhythms. That side effect is also possible among people who are already on the drug for other, approved uses. However, those patients are generally carefully monitored.

The study authors called for high-quality, randomized clinical trials to confirm any harms or benefits of the medication.

"In the meantime, we suggest these drugs should not be used as treatments for COVID-19 outside of clinical trials," Dr. Mandeep Mehra, lead author of the study and the executive director of the Brigham and Women's Hospital Center for Advanced Heart Disease in Boston, said in a statement.

Dr. Ken Lyn-Kew, a pulmonologist in the critical care department at Denver's National Jewish Health, agreed.

"This confirms that we need a really good, randomized clinical trial to understand the role of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID," said Lyn-Kew, who was not involved in the new study. "If we gave the hydroxychloroquine to less sick patients, maybe we'd see a benefit."

The Food and Drug Administration, too, has warned against using the drug outside of clinical trials or hospital settings. On April 24, the regulatory agency cautioned that physicians should not prescribe hydroxychloroquine on an outpatient basis.

The day before, a study of 368 COVID-19 patients in the the Department of Veterans Affairs health system had been posted on the preprint research server medRxiv. That research, which has not gone through a rigorous peer review process, also found a higher risk of death among those receiving hydroxychloroquine.

Several weeks later, on May 11, a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found the drug did not help very ill COVID-19 patients, and in fact could cause heart problems.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-benefit-hydroxychloroquine-covid-19-n1212886

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The video I posted said all of this. He talked about the possible heart arrhythmia and also about it possibly not working for very I'll patients. Other than that if taken early it has a high success rate.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member