1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Minnesota trade away Karl-Anthony Towns?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 18, 2018.

1. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Was this a serious post?

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

They should trade Wiggins for Whiteside and Winslow and then trade KAT for the first pick and draft Doncic.

Doncic, Butler, Winslow, a random PF, and whiteside would be a nice lineup

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

For the right to get smashed by GS or Rox for the next 5 years..

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Only Thibs could run young players into the ground.. KAT's mouth stays open more than Draymonds.. Wiggins's hands stay on his hips all game.. They can't even talk during post game interviews they're so damn tired..

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's Dominican. What do you expect?

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Timberwolves have "taken some calls" on Karl-Anthony Towns, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN. Earlier this week on his podcast, ESPN's Zach Lowe said that Towns and the Wolves were "not in a good place." Windhorst reports that he doesn't think the Wolves are looking to trade KAT, but "teams are definitely sniffing around." It seems extremely unlikely that Minnesota would seriously consider moving Towns, but stranger things have happened. We will certainly keep an eye on this situation over the summer.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/2...d-his-perceived-disconnect-with-timberwolves/

Appearing on ESPN, Brian Windhorst elaborated on talk of tension between Towns and Minnesota:

Let’s just put it this way: I didn’t make this up. People in the league have been saying, “You know, maybe we should call and take a look and see what’s going on with Karl Towns.” Now, he and Tom Thibodeau did not have the greatest season together. I think that’s far to say.

They recently fired Vince Legarza, who’s his strength-and-conditioning coach or he’s actually his workout coach with the Wolves and, according to The Athletic, didn’t tell him about it. He found out when everybody else did.

I don’t think that the Wolves are looking to trade him, but teams are definitely sniffing around as if maybe there’s something here.

They’ve already taken some calls on him. This is not new. Blake Griffin, the Clippers called and offered Blake Griffin for him. They’re going to, I believe, get more calls on this, especially the way there seems to be a disconnect between Karl and the franchise.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is usually a disconnect when this comes out.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm very weary of Towns. His coach is known as one of the best defensive minds in the game and yet the Wolves still have a lousy defense and Towns is not a factor on that end yet. It's crazy because I think in the 90's he'd have been a premiere superstar. Meanwhile, Steph Curry wouldn't have been nearly so valuable. It's very interesting to me to see how changes in the rules and the way coaches implement systems affect how players in the league can actually utilize their talent. I used to think it was just about being good, but it's definitely a lot more complicated than that.

#68 Williamson, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Potential Trade Packages and Landing Spots for 'Wolves Star Karl-Anthony Towns

1) Boston Celtics receive: Karl-Anthony Towns

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Jaylen Brown, 2019 first-round pick (top-one protected, via Kings or 76ers), 2019 first-round pick (lottery protected, via Clippers)

2) Boston Celtics receive: Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyus Jones, Cole Aldrich

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Kyrie Irving, 2019 first-round pick (lottery protected, via Clippers)

3) Philadelphia 76ers receive: Karl-Anthony Towns, Cole Aldrich

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Markelle Fultz, Richaun Holmes, Furkan Korkmaz, 2018 No. 10 pick

4) Phoenix Suns receive: Karl-Anthony Towns

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Marquese Chriss, Troy Daniels, 2018 No. 1 pick, 2018 No. 16 pick

5) Sacramento Kings receive: Karl-Anthony Towns, Gorgui Dieng

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Buddy Hield, Willie Cauley-Stein, Harry Giles, Garrett Temple, 2018 No. 2 pick

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a bit hard to tell, though, if Thibs has kept up with the game, defensively.

Was he a great defensive mind for one era, or a great defensive mind regardless of era?

Williamson likes this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They forgot our offer of Capela maxed out for KAT and Butler!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wolves Would Choose Karl-Anthony Towns Over Tom Thibodeau

If the situation between Karl-Anthony Towns and Tom Thibodeau reaches a point of no-return, Adrian Wojnarowski believes ownership would side with Towns.

“I think their owner would trade management/the coach before he would trade Karl-Anthony Towns,” Wojnarowski said on The Russillo Show. “I don’t think they would allow that. I just don’t believe they’d allow that kind of decision. And I don’t know that they’d want to trade him. To answer this first, Minnesota’s bigger issue is not…he’s Karl-Anthony Towns, they’re not moving him, Towns is eligible for his extension this summer. You know Jimmy Butler…it’s more of a question of Andrew Wiggins. That to me would be, if someone was going to get moved — and I’m not saying anyone’s going to get moved — I think Andrew Wiggins is the one you’re going to look at first. Because…you don’t have to make a decision on Towns and Jimmy Butler and one of those guys having to take less on an extension, because you can’t have three [max] guys.”

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Thibs won't get another coaching gig for a while....

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Karl-Anthony Towns On Minnesota: I Have A Lot Of Things That Have To Be Talked About

Karl-Anthony Towns hosted a basketball camp on Wednesday and was asked if Minnesota still feels like his second home.

“I think I’ve done a lot of things here. I’m very proud of the things I’ve been able to do so far,” Towns said in response to the final question of the session about whether he considers Minnesota a second home. “But I have a lot of things that have to be talked about, so I’ll move on.”

Towns is eligible to sign a max contract extension this offseason, but his relationship with the Minnesota Timberwolves is uncertain.

There have been reports of issues between Towns and Tom Thibodeau.

http://www.startribune.com/amid-off...owns-sidesteps-instead-of-squashes/488552851/

[...]

But when he was asked if he could envision himself hosting the camp in the same Providence Academy gym for the next five or six years – kudos to KSTP’s Darren Wolfson for the clever question phrasing, attempting to get a hint at Towns’ long-term future in Minnesota – Towns demurred.

“Um, I don’t know,” he said. “This is a really nice place.”

Towns said he spent his summer unwinding for a change, which included a trip to Italy. When he said he “forgot what it is to live a normal life and have a vacation,” it was a reminder of his transition. He’s no longer a wide-eyed rookie. He’s a young star at a seeming crossroads.

“It’s amazing. (Kevin Garnett) told me you blink and time flies. I remember doing my first (camp) in Minnesota, being so excited, finding a way to win Rookie of the Year and really celebrating with the campers,” Towns said. “Then you blink and I’m already going into my fourth year. So many more things have happened in my life. It’s an intriguing thing.”

How the rest of his career will play out remains to be seen. Maybe all this offseason chatter is just noise and Towns will sign a max contract with the Wolves while declaring all is well. But if you wanted clarity Wednesday, Towns offered anything but that.

“I think I’ve done a lot of things here. I’m very proud of the things I’ve been able to do so far,” Towns said in response to the final question of the session about whether he considers Minnesota a second home. “But I have a lot of things that have to be talked about, so I’ll move on.”

Vivi likes this.
  15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thibs' last HC job? TV does not seem an option. TT goes l-o-n-g before KAT!

16. BackdoorHarden

Yes, I'm serious. Jimmy Butler don't like this guy because he has no heart and doesn't take he game serious. Puts up great numbers, but they are soft numbers

17. BackdoorHarden

So because of KAT, no more Jimmy Butler and no more head coach.

But you'll get the guy that puts up 25 points, 13 rebounds, shoots 3's, gives you assist....plays no Defense and gets you 30 wins and the lottery every year though!!!

18. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

NOOOOOOO NO WAY

NO MENTAL MIDGETS HERE! pardon my French

19. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Thibs is a garbage coach so that might be a plus

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Warriors aren't stupid. They are not giving up two players for one.

Vivi and malakas like this.