1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Minnesota trade away Karl-Anthony Towns?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 18, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thibs was a great assistant coach. He helped Yao's development a great deal, but he is not Head Coach material. He simply can't communicate with players. They are not rebellious towards him.

Getting a better head coach should be the first step for the Wolves. Try to make it work first.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Good. If he goes to suns, that keeps them off Capela’s nuts. Hopefully this will make him a little more affordable. Of course I’ve got nothing against paying Cap, but we could use the salary help.

3. BackdoorHarden

KAT loves COD, but doesn't love playing defense.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has got to defend his base.

Daddy Long Legs, hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

I didn't say that Butler wasn't a good player.

In the beginning it was the serious clash with Rose.
    After he got traded ,Butler teamed up with Wade and turned their lockeroom apart.
    And then he went to the Wolves and by what the journalists that have more access to the team have been saying, he had been playing mindgames with his teammates over who is the alpha dog and whose team it is.
    So after his 3rd year there hasn't been a season that Butler was in a peaceful lockeroom.

One can be a great player with good work ethic, but also an ******* who creates discord.

hakeem94 and BigO like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What is tough to understand is how a Thibs coached team could be as poor as it is on defense.

Last year in NBA circles there was a discussion of which player was better moving forward. KAT or AD. KAT was favored mostly because of AD's injuries....but man, that aside they are night and day different.

I don't see why KAT is so bad defensively. Perhaps he is just tuning out Thibs. Maybe they need a better voice.

hakeem94, Vivi and malakas like this.
  8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Two young players deemed 'max' worth

so this is a fair deal

9. malakas

malakas Member

There is an expected curve of improvement. When a rookie is as good as KAT was, most analysts expected that he would keep improving into an MVP candidate by his 4th year.
    Unfortunately KAT's improvement has severely stagnated. Along with the other teams having scouted him, he got more and more exposed for his shortcoming.

That's why it's too premature to make any conclusions after just a rookie campaign.

In any case he's just 22 years old.

The most ridiculous thing is that from overhyped in his first 2 seasons right now he's severly underhyped in the span of less than a year.
    Just visit realgm to see..people are treating his trade value like he's a glorified roleplayer.

To me he's still a top 5 trade asset in the league.

Deuce and Vivi like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

****ING MILLENNIALS!! IMA SHOUT AT YOU IN PERSON! FIND ME A STIFF WHO CAN TRAP WHEN I TELL HIM TO TRAP.

malakas likes this.
  11. BackdoorHarden

DESIRE

You need a hunger and desire and I don't mean the Stripper DESIRRE, to play D.
    Harden is a great player, but he has the Stripper DESIRREE but no desire to play D.

Harden has everything to be a great D player, but he's lazy and just want to use his hand for the ole reach around and not move his feet.

Then you got guys like Raymond Green, and his only desire is to shut you down and make you mad. That's why he's great defensively, he wants everyone to hate him, that's his mojo. Guys like Cupcake, Harden, and Curry just want to be liked. CP3 is also great defensively because he just wants to piss people off, like Raymond Green

BigO likes this.
  12. arubato

arubato Member

Can't play Kanter. Can't play KAT. Who's next?

13. BigO

BigO Member

Curry/Harden/Mitchell/Dipo/Tatum just from top of my head unless you're talking players who could be traded (since players like Harden or Curry would never get traded unless something MAJOR happens) or something among the lines, but then again you can spin the narrative any way you want.

14. BigO

BigO Member

In today's NBA you need your C to be more like Capela then more like Towns. While Towns is great offensive player this is guard/wings league, not big man's and if you big man is major minus on D thats gonna take you some amazing players around him to get gud. And while Butler is great and all that. I think Wolves ceiling is second round it really is. People can harp on Tibs all the want, but as currently constructed Wolves are and as currently DEEP and STRONG West are? I mean there are Warriors/Rockets/Pelicans/Jazz 2 juggernauts and 2 very strong teams, do anyone think Wolves can beat any of them, even with right coaching? I just don't see it. Then you still got Blazers and Thunder and maybe even Lakers depending on their offseason, let's also not forget Nuggets. Kid you not, they might keep hovering around that 7-8 seed at best.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

I include everyone in the league.
    Towns is 22 year old already an All star and is more than 5 years away from hitting his prime.
    Especially if a team trades for him right now they will have the advantage of being able to pay much more and keep him for most of the rest of his carreer with the supermax.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

How dumb is that? The FO gave Thibs Jimmy Butler, KaT, Wiggins and a couple other pieces. It's Thibs fault for not making them play defense and not the FO's problem.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

But you can't compare generational superstar guards and wings to big men. Those guys break down defenses, hit threes and create for teammates. Towns is a big that wants the ball in the post.

I will say though that Towns has improved a lot as a three-point shooter. If he's a true four and nothing else, then maybe, but I wouldn't want an offensive big that doesn't play defense as my #1. Your big men have to protect the paint and fours need to be versatile defensively. Embiid is a legit force in today's NBA but Towns I'm not so sure.

He's young though. He may very well improve defensively.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Do I have to be the voice of reason. I know we hate towns but really people....so y'all think thibs is a good coach for this day n age. I thought he should he fired. It's no way the wolves shouldn't of been better on offense then they are. He is playing 90 offense in 2018. Thier pace should be so fast with the guys they got on their team I guarantee you put D'antoni the coach that team that team probably average so many points defense is overrated now. I think he should be fired. Team is to talented towns is right to want out if thibs is still there. Thibs won't adapt

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

maybe things in the universe do not happen for a reason but just happen

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I seem to remember ESPN doing a "Sports Science" segment showing how well KAT could close out people on defense with his quickness and wingspan. KAT appears to have the tools to be a good defender. It just needs to be unlocked. One would think Thibs would be that guy, but I think we are at the point where Thibs just isn't connecting to KAT. That's a big problem.

Here, I found the segment....Where has THIS GUY been defensively in the NBA?