1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

I was realistic. He's not ready. He won't get drafted. And you know it. 100%. Not drafted. Which is why I've said Hinton is easily replaced. He's totally unreliable. Had 12 games under 6 points. How can you rely on that. I mean really, how? The freshman, off the bench, at his position, were outscoring him on a nightly basis by the end of the season with 8 less minutes. Kelvin can easily insert Caleb or even Sasser right into his spot. Our guards have always rebounded well. We'll be down one decent player and lose a few inches in height, but he's replaceable with our depth. If he comes back great. I like him. He's not NBA caliber right now.

#2501 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah you definitely don’t follow this team enough. Caleb and sasser are both much more inconsistent on the floor and Kelvin was frustrated with both all season long. You know who the one constant all year long was. Hinton. He was never shuffled in the lineup like everyone else. And you’re the typical box score points column and everything else went over your head. Just stop

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I never said they weren't. But they were freshman. Hinton did less with more minutes. He was the lowest production output per minute than 7 other players, including the freshman.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doesn’t matter. Hinton doing less. Just stop. Try watching games kid and understand other parts of the game and being 1 dimensional

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Try analytics man. It's what u do with the minutes.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Analytics don’t mean anything if you don’t understand the game and what’s actually happening on the floor. Fix that first

7. Aware

Aware Member

Dotson has been the best player we've had under Sampson and he was a late 2nd. Cumberland from cinci might not get drafted and hes been arguably the best player in our league the last 2 season.

I dont think Hinton gets drafted, but i could see him finding his way into the league. No one works harder than that kid.
    Would be a massive blow to the team if he turned pro.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'll make it as a second round pick.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doubtful. Jarreau can’t shoot. He’s basically a comparable version of a young rondo and I’m not sure that fits too well in this modern era of the league

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While DJ is a streaky shooter (much better shooter than RR), he possesses the ability to get to the hoop at will, D up with the best, and make the right pass..all without turning the ball over too much. Jarreau can take over games at the college level. We'll see how all this translates to the NBA.

BTW..As much as I might detest him, there's always room for a Rondo on my team. Look, I'm sky high on DeJon, but I'd be shocked if he approached RR. I see him as really underrated going into this draft, though. Jarreau is more of a scorer....

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes got some talent for sure. But a couple of flags that probably won’t translate to the next level just yet to me. He didn’t have a good year this past year at all, coming into the season hurt and other guys playing well didn’t help. He struggled a ton with decision making and turnovers this year. One of kelvins constant headaches

#2512 YOLO, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  13. Aware

Aware Member

Jarreau seems like more of a long shot to get drafter than Hinton.
    This was supposed to be his season but imo he kinda regressed.

I imagine we'll see a similar announcement from Grimes at some point and maybe even from Mills.
    Really no reason not to test the waters.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Where he shines is that first step and quickness, which will still be elite at the next level. He's also an above average finisher with solid mid-range game. Wingspan. Good FT shooter too for a guy who will end up at the line a lot. That won't get him drafted, but it could be valuable for someone given he's also got height for d and the entry pass. The big challenge as noted is that he can't shoot deep and he's really not even a great passer. Big bummers for a PG today. Don't see him ever getting a long shot either. DeJon could become a better passer though. Give him a punchers chance to make it through the D league. But the odds are stacked against him. Plus you got this whole biting incident which won't do him any favors on the draft board or even for a pick up.

Now if we lose Jarreau the offense is going to fall apart against the better teams. He cannot be replaced. Sasser was not ready to run the show. We lost half our games when he was forced to run the offense. That said, I mean really, you can't hold a freshman accountable to do that. but he was totally lost and the team suffered collectively. He can make up for it with the shooting to some degree, but he was not creating shots for others off the dribble. Sasser will have to work his ass off starting right now.

#2514 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Guards with no to bad 3 point range have a hard time making it in todays NBA.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Saw this coming. Alley to transfer

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

GL Ced!

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sampson is a class act all the way.

YOLO likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I get it. but Cedrick is leaving a possible NCAA championship season, and that's not something you just give up to get more playing time. The friendship and bonding in that run lasts a lifetime. Starting for another club, those memories likely will fade. At UH, He can still play a lot of basketball even if on the bench during the game. Think it's a mistake overall. But he will get to play more.

That said, he reminds me a lot of Hinton in the sense that he has great form and release on his shot, but the results are often ugly. Everything about his game should have translated to more production. He hustles, he has good skills, solid mechanics, but it never translated into points. There's really nothing to fix with 'em, it just is what it is after two seasons.