1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

White, Grimes, Gresham, Harris, and Hinton were 2-17 for a total of 7 points between them. Tulsa is just not that good of a team for that to happen but it did. This was a tough loss. We are going to have to learn to play better against the zone. Nice games for Sasser and Mills but not enough to overcome the lack of production from our bigger more athletic players. Next up SMU at home Wed night. Should be a good game.

King1 likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The inconsistency on offense is going to be an issue until Mills and a second guy start to have clear roles as go to scorers.

dc rock likes this.
  3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I think it's time for this years team to go on a roll and win 10-12 games in a row. Now would be a great time for them to do this with a tough stretch coming up. Unrealistic? Maybe. It seems the talent is there but so far so is a ton of inconsistency. I would love to have been able to listen to the ass chewing I am sure Sampson gave them after last night's disappointing loss. They are a better team than what they showed last night.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Mills has to be the guy down the stretch. Jarreau is great, but not a closer. Gray was a senior in 2018. Robinson and Davis were seniors last year. Unfortunately, this year you can see the inconsistencies that come with your best guards being underclassmen.

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

A young squad will have more hiccups than you'd like based on talent and quality of coaching. Whip those ponies.

CometsWin likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's definitely a let the young players make their mistakes and grow from it type season. Hopefully they make the tournament and get that experience under their belts.

dc rock likes this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Did anyone watch the game last night against SMU? For me it was a mixed bag. I am glad we won. At times we looked very good but at times we made mistakes and seemed tentative.. They seemed like a team struggling to find their identity. I can understand moving Grimes out of the starting lineup. He has played way below his potential as of late. I am beginning to wonder if that is just who he is. We have so much talent on this team that I keep hoping that they will turn the corner and start dominating games from start to finish. In the meantime they are fun to watch.

Edited to add: Does anyone know if the game last night was sold out? Watching on TV there appeared to be a lot of empty seats scattered throughout.

#2287 seemoreroyals, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it was sold out. I was surprised it was so empty. I know season tickets sold out but tickets were going for 7 buck last night on Gametime .

They are so green, it's going to take most of the season to get the identity formed.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

none of the games have sold out this year. the hype has died down a bit since last years team broke up. and also the home schedule so far hasn't been that great. it likely won't pick back up again until the coogs get back in the rankings. they're still teetering on the cusp. the wichita st and memphis home matchups should be a great showing though

mills got benched too and also gresham. They're still trying to find the right balance to this group. Hopefully that's sooner, rather than later. I can actually see why Grimes hasn't exactly panned out as much as his talent initially indicated. His play during the hawaii tourney was great though so you see how good he can be. he came off the bench and played with purpose last night though. maybe this gets him going

#2289 YOLO, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. Nook

Nook Member

They lack a clear cut #1 or even #2 option on offense and cannot hit 3’s. As a result they will struggle to win games and offensively do not have an identity. The hope was Grimes would be a 20 point a game scorer but he just isn’t there. He doesn’t shoot well enough and cannot put the ball on the floor well enough.

They are a good team that will not quit, the best rebounding team in the country and very good defensively. They are an exceptionally poor shooting team though.

They lost their shooting early to the draft so it is a flawed teamed. Their recruiting class for 2020 is very good though.

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Mills, Sasser, and Hinton appear to be the best we have in regards to hitting outside shots. The problem seems to be breaking down these zone defenses that teams are throwing at us and getting open shots. I think in putting this current group together we were expecting Grimes to be the guy that in addition to provide scoring would be quarterbacking the team, running plays, and getting guys open. Let's hope they can figure it out. The toughest part of our schedule is still in front of us beginning Sat at 3 pm on the road against Wichita State.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup and we knew that going into the season. Sampson expected to have Armoni here, leading as a senior and be the sniper on this team. But things happen. Everyone moves on. This team is solid. very competitive. just inexperienced and lack of true shooters. But they do have a number of guys that can score in bunches if they get hot. That can be dangerous for the opponent at the same time. They're a tough out just based off coaching, defense and their rebounding ability alone.

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Who do we have coming in 2020? Who most likely won't be back from this year's team?

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Before the season we expected Grimes and possibly Jarreau to move on, but neither has played well enough that you see them as a draft prospect. We have 3 players coming in next year plus a transfer guard from Idaho who supposed to be an elite shooter.

https://247sports.com/college/houston/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

We lose Chris Harris who is a senior.

This is the transfer coming in

https://uhcougars.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/cameron-tyson/5467

seemoreroyals likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

tyson is already here. he's doing what mills was doing last year and getting a head start by being able to practice with the team.

16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Of the non freshmen on the roster the two I would hate to lose the most would be Nate Hinton and Fabian White. Grimes and Jarreau are both proving to be a little inconsistent and disappointing at times. Neither one seems to have the ability to run the offense the way that Galen Robinson did.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think as of now we would be one over the limit if everyone came back next year. If that happens you would expect someone to transfer.

18. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

At this point unless his play improves the one that we would miss the least if he left would be Grimes.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Great 1st half by UH. need to finish this off

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

great w. best game by this UH team by far this year. They put their stamp on the game from the beginning. this could be the set lineup rotation finally for the foreseeable future

Plowman likes this.