1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[corporate welfare] Why are Cash-Rich Companies Being Subsidized by Tax-Poor Governments?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Classic, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Classic

Classic Member

All of this time spent on personal income tax rates while the talking heads in the media & politicians decide what is wealthy but not a single peep about corporations, their offshore cash holdings, tax breaks or unlimited ability to impact campaigns. The Dems & Repubs are the two factions/parties of the corporatocracy:

Anyone defend this? Or am I overestimating the importance of this issue in what seems like a disturbing trend.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Because they have money and power thus politicians are in their pockets, seems like a real simple answer.:confused:

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

That is true. End of story.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

No no no, it's not corporate welfare, it's "investing in the American economy", "saving industry", "economic patriotism"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Obama's tax hikes on the rich raise ~$60B in 2013. His corporate tax breaks cost Treasury $67B &gt;&gt; <a href="http://t.co/DLSWQ6l5" title="http://bit.ly/131Iqxd" org_href="http://bit.ly/131Iqxd">bit.ly/131Iqxd</a></p>&mdash; Timothy P Carney (@TPCarney) <a href="https://twitter.com/TPCarney/status/286946887662182400" data-datetime="2013-01-03T15:27:23+00:00">January 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. False

False Member

And it was "economic libertarianism." It's why people like the Kochs have supported "libertarian" thought and continue to do so - they know that economic subsidies for companies are getting bad press on both aisles, and since the subsidy game is up, it is time to diversify into other types of economic subsidies like tax breaks for the richest and cutting regulations on business. Its the same old game, but re-branded with a different name.

6. Classic

Classic Member

As a counter point of discussion to the highly charged personal income taxes, I thought it warranted my post simply for awareness.

Funny though you won't hear it in the media. Having 6 major corporations who control 90+% of everything we read & hear through the news will limit the discussion points.

I'm glad Starkist Tuna was chosen as a winner in the fiscal cliff battle. Oh, didn't you all hear? There was pork shoved in at the last minute and Nancy Pelosi scores another one for her district & major campaign contributor.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2013/01/03/ac-fiscal-cliff-pork.cnn

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

It's ok, I've turned to the dark side and am heavily investing in the very same corporations that are leeching off this country.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Keynesian economics: cut taxes and increase government consumption and investment. Only problem is, to go along with tax cuts, there has been no real increase in consumption or investment by the government, only transfers. Corporations hoard cash for the same reason individuals save cash - corporations are people, too.

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Seriously, you can't believe that. You're saying that people try to make more and more money because they would save more of it? And you are sure it's not because they want to buy a yacht...

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Correct, individuals indebt themselves to buy yachts. ExxonMobil's was paid for in cash money.[/sarcasm]

Many corporations hoard cash may use it to payout dividends or use it to acquire land, labor and capital. Do you honestly think corporations hoard cash just for the sake or hoarding cash, and furthermore, perhaps more troublesome, do you think individuals save money just to save?

For instance, I once recall a time people saved money to make a downpayment on a house, but that went out the window 10 years ago. Oh well, maybe I'm just behind the times.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Still waiting on the 1st corporation to get the Death Penalty

Rocket River

12. glynch

You are indeed a prince, sir.

But when you choke to death due to pollution or your grandchildren die in a huge climate change storm or you are killed in gun industry violence your investments will be of little comfort.

13. glynch

Not yet but they sure fuc* a lot of people in order to max out their profits in the short run.

14. glynch

I started an MBA program, but switched to law, but I hear they had a sort of business ethics or "business in society" class. I didn't have the pleasure, but It must be a sad, sad, joke.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It is. Got my MBA in May.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

QFT.
    finally we are getting somewhere. unfortunately it's on basketball bbs.