1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Connecting the Trump-Russia Dots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The point of the investigation is to look into Russian activities regarding the 2016 election.

We know the previous admin had a care-free attitude regarding Russia.

If you are as concerned as you say you are, why then are you not concerned about the possible failures of the previous admin? You claim you know the "point of the investigation", but clearly, your dismissive attitude shows that you do not.

For clarity, here is what the previous admin had to say about Russia being a geopolitical foe:

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would welcome any insight into the Obama administration's stance toward Russia and why they didn't act faster on known intelligence about Russian interference in our election.

Again, this goes beyond party loyalty. You have shown time and again in this thread that you aren't interested in the heart of this issue, but only in absolving one side of blame and charging another with gross mismanagement. Two things can be true at the same time.

I've watched the video (you've posted it multiple times in this thread; the point has been made) and here's the thing: I agree with you. President Obama downplayed the threat Russia posed to our country in that debate. His dismissive rhetoric regarding Russia likely provoked Vladimir Putin to jam his thumb in our eye a little bit more. I'd be really interested in knowing why the Obama administration downplayed the threat of the Putin regime.

However, this clip is also pre-dates Russia's invasion of Ukraine. You posting it without that context is misleading. Our government's posture toward Russia changed when the latter invaded a sovereign nation, annexed territory in a sham election and necessitated economic sanctions. If you truly cared about our policy toward Russia, you'd know that there were mitigating factors after 2012 that affected our relationship with Russia and may have influenced their decision to interfere in our election. Nothing in that clip addresses the scope of the investigation (the details of which, I remind you again, none of us know right now despite however much we want to project our bias onto this issue)

#2102 mtbrays, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. dmoneybangbang

Your gotcha video was before Russia invaded a sovereign nation. The Obama administration made a mistake in overlooking Russia's cyber capabilities. But what is Trump doing to make sure this doesn't happen under his watch?
    Why doesn't Trump acknowledge the role Russia played in the 2016 election?

London'sBurning and mtbrays like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Some posters are "gotcha" type of posters.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We'll never know the exact political strategy behind the Russian Reset and the public downplaying of Putin in Russia but there are some very huge factors at play at that time-

A. Putin had not annexed Crimea
    B. they hadn't invaded Ukraine
    C. 2012 Election controversy - How much did Obama know at the time of this debate?
    D. 2013 legislation Putin imposed on the LGBT community
    E. Russia hadn't yet backed Assad, and contributed to widespread murder and Genocide in Syria.

I get it.... Obama put his foot in his mouth both when he took a stance against Russia to counter his approach vs. Bush/McCain's hawkish stance with Russia in 2008 and in 2012 when he debated with Romney and still held a stance that was optimistic about working with Russia.

However debating Putin/Russia in 2012 vs 2016 is a whole other subject. Taking clips of Bush and Obama talking nice about Putin then as some sort of justification for friendly talk about Russia in 2016 just doesn't hold water and makes one look like a Trump sycophant for his obnoxiously pro-Putin stances in the face of a country and leader that is now actively taking steps to destroy Democracy in this country. The same thing wasn't so blatantly clear in 2012 when Putin was doing more plotting than actually acting upon his goals of reclaiming the Soviet Union & dominance again in Europe.

mtbrays likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I believe Obama made the decision to not make a statement about it after the election because of the repercussions of the White House presenting information questioning the outcome of the election.

7. Cohete Rojo

I am not confusing the point of the investigation with the point of this thread. This thread is for the never-Trumpers - an exegesis on the election.

And the context of the video is that it does predate the Ukraine invasion. More context is the Syrian chemical weapons deal. Putin saw Obama sweating and made a move that would make it seem as though Russia was willing to work with the US. The truth of the matter turned out to be far different - it was a test.

8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Well, good thing we have the master of 1D duck duck goose in there now to see right through Putin's games.

9. Cohete Rojo

What do they have to hide?

Oh my god.
    Oh my god.
    Oh my god.

10. dobro1229

Oh my god
    Oh my god

Why don't you tell the full story that this was not the House intel's subpoena it was Devin Nunes who had to recuse himself for disclosing classified information to the press, and created a fake story about Susan Rice "unmasking", tried to confuse it with "leaks" (which come to find out were coming from within the White House), and sent this subpoena on his own without the rest of the House Intelligence Committee knowing about it?? Something a recused member shouldn't be allowed to do (Paul Ryan .... you awake dude?).

What you are leaving out as well is the fact that Fusion GPS has already been working with Bob Muellers team, testified to the Senate Judicial Committee for 8 hours, and gave their blessing to have the full transcript made available to the American public which the GOP Senate Leaders Chuck Grassley did not allow.

Tell me again who is hiding something? And tell me who is trying to create alternate flat earth conspiracy theories for the Fox News base to believe what they want to believe?

If Fusion GPS complied here, it certainly is obvious that Nunes would use this as an attempt to undermine the more important Special Prosecutor. If this ever goes to a grand jury, you really think they will hold Fusion GPS in contempt for withholding information from a rogue recused and discredited member of the House who campaigned with the subject of the investigation when they are openly complying with the Special Prosecutor appointed by the DOJ?

Yeah... sure.

#2110 dobro1229, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    mtbrays, el gnomo, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Devin Nunes is Democratic plant!

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I love that folks are trying to make a big deal about it, and act like it is on par with the other stories about this scandal.

13. Cohete Rojo

This is the House investigation, not the FBI investigation. Please quit confusing the two. What does Fusion GPS have to hide in regards to it's employee, a foreign spy, who went about collecting information from other foreign spies on behalf of its Democratic-donating clients?

14. dobro1229

Can you please check basic facts before you start blasting away? Or did Sputnik make a mistake today and call Devin Nunes an FBI agent?

Devin Nunes is the Republican leader of the HOUSE Intelligence Committee.

Also fact check your other point. It’s been widely reported that it was a “never Trumper” Republican that initially paid for the Fusion GPS services during the primary season. We’ve covered this dude. I’ve been through this with you personally which means you are either not reading the responses and just responding with nonsense to intentionally confuse or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Again... go about living in a conspiracy theory world where Hillary and Obama secretly hired an private intelligence agent to do research on Trump with the notion she would LOSE and then dump the supposed intelligence. Your whole conspiracy theory premise about the Dossier hangs on the notion that Hillary planned to lose. Good one.

mtbrays likes this.
  15. Cohete Rojo

The article is clearly about the House investigation. Not even sure where you are trying to go with this.

16. dobro1229

You missed the part where I’ve mentioned the entire time that Devin Nunes is the Republican on the House Intel Committee. Not sure why that’s so hard to see.

I originally said that you should tell the whole story though that Nunes sent this subpoena outside of the rest of the committee and had previously had to recused himself from this investigation. He has multiple times been caught with his pants down trying to derail or discredit the investigation on behalf of Trump.

So it’s disenguous to say this is from the House Intel Committee to push your conspiracy theory and not mention the full story... that it’s really just Devin Nunes going Rogue again (to help fuel your theory) and likely Mueller’s team told them not to respond since they have actively been working with Fusion gps.

mtbrays likes this.
  17. mtbrays

Supporting Member

An independent, recused member of this committee sent the subpoena, not the full committee.

You have been so disingenuous throughout the last few pages of this thread. You know that Fusion has cooperated with Mueller and the Senate. Why are you trying to
    1. Portray this as though they are ducking a full committee investigation when, in reality, they are refusing to cooperate with a RECUSED committee leader who has shown that he is not operating in good faith.
    2. Stay in this thread at all if it's a witch hunt (a witch hunt you are desperately trying to discredit on every page by presenting disingenuous and/or deliberately dense takes).

18. Cohete Rojo

Devin Nunes never recused himself. You are confusing Nunes with the Attorney General.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. dobro1229

Now you are just trolling or are suddenly the most ignorant person to follow the Russia-Trump Investigation in this thread.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...-nunes-recuses-self-from-russia-investigation

And Jeff Sessions, the attorney general, is also recused as you mentioned, but still had a hand in firing Comey which should have violated his recusal as well.

For someone who has so many opinions on our government issues, you sure don't know much about it do you? Or did whoever is now controlling PGabriels account now take over yours as well?