1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Concerns from a fan about the future of the franchise.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Mar 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I know that all of us are very hopeful for next year, but does anyone here actually know if Les will be willing and/or able to keep Artest after this season; much less sign another piece to the team? It seems to me that no owner is immune from the horrific economic climate besides maybe Paul Allen.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they tried to trade tmac for baron davis and his 5 year contract.

i dont think they are worried about spending the cap, as long as it doesn't go into LT territory.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

plus we have Artests' Bird rights

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I heard Les wanted to buy a pick next year (from Morey talk on the radio), and the rockets is still making money when other 16 team are losing money? I guess that Yao indeed helps Les to make some money, then the rockets can use it.

5. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Les has been exploiting the hell out of Yao for ages since we drafted Yao in #1 overall pick in 02'.China's been a super-duper market for Les.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Without digging into the details of every owner out there, it's probably safe to say that most have seen their wealth decline, in some cases enormously, over the past 12 months. Again, not knowing the specifics about the Rockets annual P&L, you can safely assume Les has lost money recently just in general. He owns over 15 million shares of First Marblehead, for example, which 12 months ago had a market value (Les' stake) of over $200 million and today comes in at less than $13 million.

Paul Allen isn't any more insulated than anyone else, really. His main investment company, Vulcan, just laid off 50 people last month.

7. piggy

piggy Member

Regardless of your opinion of the Sports Guy, he has a fascinating article on the topic of NBA finances in this economy and the impending lockout...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090227

Basically, NBA fans are in for a wild ride over the next few years, and when the dust settles, there may be some new addresses for several (money) losing franchises...

8. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Thank you very much guys, it's good to gain some of the insight that I was looking for.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

like what others said I remember Morey saying earlier in the season that the Rockets were one of 3-4 teams in the league that saw their season ticket holder renewal rate stay the same or go up (assuming the others are lakers, celtics, cavs) after the artest signing.

with yao i am sure Les is making a lot of money from overseas investors...has he lost personal wealth? certainly but he is still going to be living very comfortably for a long time. Also if I remember right Morey said there are going to be a lot of cash strapped teams that could be taken advantage of with mcgrady's expiring. it sounds like the Rockets are at least fiscally doing great compared to the other teams in the league.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah he is only worth 14 billion now.

11. diegot143

diegot143 Member

i dont know abou the financial aspect of it all. But i think that next year if not this year could be our year. While everybody is trying to get in possition to sign the big names in the season after the next, we could keep artest and trade Mcgrady's contract for our missing piece. I see it this way because two years from now seems too far. Yao, Luis, and Shane are not getting any younger.