1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

But that's just a function of population vs # of major schools. Texas has a huge population, so everyone can't stay in state. But that doesn't change whether Alabama or Mississippi kids do leave the state or not. It just means that those states bring in more kids than leave.

First off, this is a small sample size. But if Alabama already is recruiting in Texas, and A&M isn't recruiting in Alabama, then there's no negative to A&M going to the SEC as far recruiting goes. At worse, the status quo continues. At best, A&M starts being able to recruit Alabama.

2. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Welp, this board is about to turn to **** once this becomes official and the UT and A&M fanboys start insulting one another.

3. RedRaiderRocket

It should be interesting to see how this how all plays out in the coming years. It is a good move for A&M's standpoint to get into the best conference in college football and out of the insecure big 12. Tech is kind of the middle of this where we are clinging with Texas and OU. A&M I think if they make this move will fall back into the middle of the pack but they have been in the middle of the pack in the big 12 a majority of this decade. They might recruit better, get paid more, but it want compare with the likes of Alabama and Florida. They will also struggle with teams like Georgia, Auburn, and LSU. I still think Texas will get better recruits then A&M in the state.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dude... the Big 12 is boring. It hasn't even been around that long. Spread offenses were slowly killing me. Every time an OSU QB looks to Gundy for the read I get cancer.

5. updawg

updawg Member

100 years of tradition down the drain. Aggies showing their true colors and its not maroon

Traitors, good riddance. You don't belong in the great state of Texas anymore, move to Mississippi or Alabama or some other ****hole

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

[​IMG]

7. Major

Major Member

Yeah, it's not like Texas tried to jump ship - by themselves - back in the 1990s to the Pac10.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No one is saying A&M won't be able to recruit in Alabama. We are saying no top kids from Alabama will be leaving there to come to College Station. Yes, A&M will be able to go to Alabama and nab kids that arguably aren't any better than the kids in their own backyard. If there is a top kid that Bama wants, good luck trying to convince that kid to come to College Station. How do you convince that kid to come to College Station? You seem to think A&M is going to go to these SEC states and just start importing their studs. My bet is the majority of their roster will still consist of Texas kids. Yeah, if there is some stud that wants the top SEC comp but just refuses to leave....then sure that kid is all A&M's. But how many studs are like that?

I don't think the Aggies are traitors or anything like that. However, I do think they are stupid for leaving a good situation (easiest path to a BCS bowl) to go to a tougher conference. No, I don't think they will have much success there during most seasons.

9. updawg

updawg Member

sorry bear, however, enjoy kicking aggie ass year after year

10. Major

Major Member

Who claimed that they would? :confused: We've already said we're talking about recruiting at the margins - maybe 1 or 2 people a year at most. Recruiting is a volume game. By being able to target different people, you have more options, which means you're more likely to be able to sign people you want. Building a team is not about getting a bunch of superstars from out of state. It's about solid recruits all over the board. If you have more exposure to different groups of people, it gives you more opportunity to recruit from those areas.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Butt-Hurt winner!!! .... Hahahaha

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Believe it or not, I grew up rooting for the Ags and Longhorns. I will happily root for them to fail miserably now. Fortunately, A&M will be nothing more than mediocre in the SEC. At least, they had more than a puncher's chance in the Big 12/10.

Edit: Btw, this move creates the lamest basketball match-ups ever. A&M has good rivalries with UT, Baylor, Kansas, and Kansas State.

#2292 sammy, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. RocketManJosh

Well a conference with UNC, UK, and Fla will top that if the rumors about UNC are true. I'll take that b-ball lineup.

Also already starting to see returns as rumors are that Dalton Santos will switch his committ over to the Ags as he stated earlier that he only picked tenn over A&M because he wanted to play in the SEC.

I honestly feel bad for some of you Baylor folk if u get stuck in the MWC or something like that ... It all comes down to a poorly managed conference that could not foster an all-for-one attitude that served every other conference so well. When one school drives the bus, the schools that have options are going to explore them.

Regardless of what happens, if the Big12 survives, Beebe needs to be gone for good.

14. sammy

I'm cool with it. Scott Drew will continue to build a top-notch program. Our football team might actually benefit from a potential move to the MWC. TCU sure did take advantage of it.

15. RocketManJosh

I certainly believe Baylor could continue success in B-Ball and Im sure A&M would try to continue that rivalry in non-conf as everone Ive heard from would like that if Baylor agrees. Much easier to do that in B-Ball non-conf.

Not sure I agree on the Football, but I really would be happy to see Baylor have success there too, but I dont think it would be as easy.

16. sammy

It's definitely not going to be easy but our team as is would be pretty good in a weaker conference. Being in the Big 12 south is pretty brutal in itself. Basically, we have no room to go but up. Edit: I realize that Baylor was ranked fairly late in the season (week 9) but I still feel that it's not easy recruiting in Texas when A&M, UT, and TCU have better programs. That's not going to change but we might be able to pitch something different and new to recruits. It'll suck possibly being out of a major conference for the first time in what seems like forever nonetheless. Just trying to put some positive spin on things :)

It will be interesting to see if Baylor and UT play A&M in hoops. I would love to see the growing rivalry continue.

#2296 sammy, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

thanks for the rep points, aggy! :grin:

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I really don't get why people are so butt-hurt about this.

The UT crowd in particular.

Everybody wins here, be happy for each other FFS.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It makes no sense to me why UT fans are so upset or amused by this. The Aggies are going to a better conference and are going to make more money and they get made fun of because the conference is harder? Is the position of UT fans really to laugh at a team for wanting to make more money and play better competition?

I guess UT fans would support a UT move to the WAC?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's amusign because Texas A&M largely has defined themselves in reference to the university of Texas, with all the fifth grade silliness about "t.u." and such; as far as wanting to "play better competition goes - it would help if they had maybe won (or even contended) in the Big 12 anytime in the last decade, rather than spent it tring to keep up with Texas Tech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.