1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Except for the fact that:

1. Texas Fight's second line is "And it's goodbye to A&M."

2. The Aggie War Hymn has a first verse that has nothing to do with the Longhorns that they stupidly didn't sing because it was "too Ivy League". Hopefully we can now sing the fight song like it should be or just sing that verse twice instead.

True, they will never get rid of "Saw Varsity's Horns off," but what do you replace that with until A&M develops a new fulltime rival? I guess Razorbacks have Tusks?

1 person likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

I think it's all pretty stupid. The fun of college football is playing the good teams. Watching Texas vs Ohio State during those years was incredibly exciting. Watching Texas destroy Iowa State and then play all their backups in the 2nd half is worthless.

The reason the SEC is so appealing to college football fans is exactly that - so many of the games are exciting and competitive because it's a balanced league. I'd much rather play in a great conference and try to win against the best than just watch my team demolish a bunch of scrubs all season long. That takes all the fun out of the game.

If you take a long term view of the league - if you want to be the next SEC - you do it by creating an exciting, competitive league. You don't do it by building a league where the outcome is pretty much predetermined. Texas benefited from joining the Big 12 because it was far more competitive and exciting to play teams like Nebraska and K-State (at the time) than it was to play SMU or UH. People were excited by those games, and those are the games fans remember. Going backwards to the SWC set up is not a step forward, no matter how profitable it might be for the school.

I actually don't think it is - I think it's just the perfect excuse for A&M, who wanted to leave last year anyway.

Absolutely. They'll be the Yankees of college football. That money doesn't affect me as a fan one bit. It doesn't make my experience any better or any more exciting. It doesn't make my tickets any cheaper. I don't see why I should care about any of that.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Tuck Fexas!

;) :p

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I agree with 90% of this post, but if an undefeated Texas is playing in the championship while 3 or 4 other teams with 2 losses in the "balanced conference" are sitting at home, I think I will be just fine.

Also, I just have an incredibly hard time thinking that a watered down Big XII is Texas's endgame. I really think that Deloss has something up his sleeve, and his comments to Bohls today only strengthen this belief.

5. Major

Major Member

Agree - if A&M sucks, it doesn't matter what conference they are in. But A&M has just as good a chance to be "good" in the SEC as they do in the Big12. People will see the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC the way they see the 3rd best team in the B9, so even if they finish 6th, they are going to be involved in far more interesting and exciting games than they would in the B9. If they can't compete with UT and OU, they can't compete with Florida or Alabama and they'll be in that 2nd tier either way. If they can compete with UT/OU, then they can compete with anyone.

The main difference between the SEC and B9 isn't in the top - it's in the middle. The middle SEC teams are better than the middle B9 teams. If A&M is talking about breaking into the top tier of the B9, they should be able to be competitive with those teams in the SEC too.

6. Major

Major Member

Sure, but how will you feel about the season being completely over in early October in the years we lose to OU?

Agreed - I'm only arguing that it would suck if we end up with a B9 or a B10 with a scrub team added. I think the best outcome would be to go to join the Pac16 and have all sorts of exciting games of our own (adding USC, Oregon, Cal, Utah, etc). Then the two flagship schools offer two totally different experiences - one is an southeastern experience, the other a western experience, which sort of makes sense since we're considered part of the South and part of the West.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This was all planned very well by the A&M administration. They may get some backlash after the fact, but they were able to more or less get it done before the legislature has a chance to stop them (though I am sure they are still trying). They learned last year that it is better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

According to Liucci the only hurdles left are the SEC vote on Sunday, and avoiding red tape from TV Networks and uprisings in the form of legal and political. Certainly not done yet, as Texas and Baylor are going to do whatever they can to stop this. If we don't go this year, it's obvious we will never be "allowed" to go until Texas decides to let us.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Well on the flipside, we would have an inside track to the championship game in the years we beat OU.

And I 100% agree with you on the PAC-16 idea. That's my dream scenario.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So true.

If UH gets into the Big 12 I will kiss every single one of you magnificent bastards on the lips.

10. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Lol..If the aggies think tx tech fans are rowdy/rude..I can't wait til they go to an away game at LSU or Ole Miss

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Let me tell you what's fun. Driving to the games, having a tailgate parting and watching the game in person. That was the old SWC and it was fun. It's all gone now because the rich want to get richer. I would be perfectly happy to go back the old SWC. To those of you who never got to experience it, you don't know what you are missing. Watching games on TV just isn't the same.

12. Major

Major Member

For those of you looking for entertainment, search twitter hash tag #big12movingbackward . Lots of people having fun with this.

13. RocketManJosh

lol that you think A&M fans don't know this. You forget that we still refuse to play LSU to this day because they owe us money for backing out of the series once they started to get their ass handed to them.

That rivalry will be intense getting it started again.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Congrats if it happens. UH has been irrelevant to me, but if they're in the Big 12 I can see myself rooting for them.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't remember if it was Charlie or Matt and Adam yesterday, but on one of the shows it was mentioned that Texas couldn't go to the Pac 10 if they wanted to due to the LHN. Not in a the Pac 10 teams wouldn't like it type of way, but rather due to preexisting contractual agreements in the Pac 10 it was not possible.

Whoever made the comment though didn't really explain it... anyone else hear the comment?

When Nebraska and Colorado left last year, popular sentiment was it would be surprising if the Big XII made it another 5 years. I like A&M making the move to a more stable conference.

16. updawg

updawg Member

I can't believe they are leaving. so much for tradition I guess.

Traitors to the State of Texas.

The lege should strip their funding and make Tech a Tier 1 research school and drop them down to community college status

1 person likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Major you're being too rational for your own good. Based on many factors, certain states/regions are net exporters/importers of talented FCS athletes. Certain regions are not. Texas is a net exporter. Most of the deep south (excepting FL) is a net importer, or at least a net-zero-er.

For various reasons, this is why the last time Alabama lined up for a national championship, they had a Texan at QB and one at RB, off the top of my head, and why the last time Texas A&M lined up for the glorious bowl of Cotton, they had no Alabamans contributing in a major way (unless they did? I didn't check, but I'm fairly certain they didn't)

18. RocketManJosh

LOL ... I think UT is the traitor. Their arrogant greed drove Nebraska out and their arrogant greed in the LHN is what is driving A&M out. Signing a contract that keeps you from beng a part of a conference network (directly stated in the LHN contract) is a huge hit to the conference's TV potential. Yes you have the right to do it, but other schools like A&M have the right to look out for their best interests.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ha @ some of the same free market libertarian 'set the people free' anti-oligarch dynamic being played out here like in the other forum that discusses those things.

I'd like to see a UT - Notre Dame conference pairing. Enjoy the more profitable mediocrity, A&M.

#2279 Shroopy2, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. updawg

updawg Member

good riddance traitors...might as well take Texas out of your name and sub in west loserana. I can't believe you guys sold out that easy. Enjoy your 15mins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.