1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HtownTrill, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think he's being blackballed because of the subject matter of his protest. I think the owners probably have a problem with the way he is protesting. He's protesting while he's on the job. He's protesting while in uniform.

If he protested away from his job on his own time, I don't think the owners would have much of a problem with it.

I don't think my employer wants me to be protesting while I'm at work. When I'm at work I feel I'm representing my company in everything I do. It's best to do any protesting when you aren't at work.

csj and Astrodome like this.
  2. conquistador#11

not to get political, who wants to get politico in a texans thread? But did you guys see the superbowl?
    martellus bennett came off the field yelling, "Tear down the wall, I love you, te amo Mexico!" Jabs at no. 45

I commented in that sb thread those would be his last words as a patriot. Bennett quickly got signed for more cash on a team with a superb qb.
    Point being, If Colin still was 2012 Colin and still had that game, He'd be coveted no matter his message.
    But now teams don't think he's worth the trouble and worth the media attention as a back up, coaches hate the media.

It's still wrong, according to the NFLPA , for owners to collectively not want him but on a team by team basis, I guess it's fair game and a loophole.
    I would like to see him get a second shot

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just don't click on it....

4. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

if the players are forced to wear pink and be patriotic for 9/11 and breast cancer. Things that dont or havent affected them then the NFL should at least understand that players have kids and or sibling relatives that could be targeted by corrupt police officers. Players and african-americans are worried about their kids going and coming home if something will happen with a cop. I think a lot of this fear and protest would'nt be happening if these cops went to prison for killing unarmed people. Any racist can become a cop and make black peoples lives a living hell. People should not have to record police on facebook live or a damn cellphone

eric.81 likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The NFLPA is the worst union in sports. They should just disband it.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol.. What an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediot.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was looking for this picture. I saw a meme once it had a picture of Kaep kneeling at a game on top with the words "Why people think Kaepernick is not getting picked up" then this picture on the bottom with the words "Why he is ACTUALLY not getting picked up". LOL

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fulgore likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, I'm sure that will help make him a less controversial figure.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Will be watching live feed. The geniuses can't even spell his name. Will be glorious.

J.R. likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is he the one who organized it?

I am not going to be going to compare Colin to Jackie Robinson since Kaep is supporting Castro who was a beacon of human rights.

However would the NFL have signed Robinson? Or would they not want him since he would be a "Distraction."

HtownTrill likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jackie Robinson was a Hall of Fame level talent, that had the potential to be a difference maker. Most people knew black players were more than good enough,but the "gentleman's" agreement made sure the racist owners weren't at a competitive disadvantage.

If there were no questions about his ability to help a team in a significant way, then he would be starting for somebody, controversy be damned. But for a very flawed stopgap/backup QB, I doubt most owners want to risk pissing off their right wing fans, or more importantly their wealthy right wing fans.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely they would! You can be a distraction OR you can suck but you can't be both. If Kap was actually a good QB, he would have spent VERY little time out of work. Unfortunately for him, he sucks at football AND decided to make himself a distraction with his ridiculous antics.

Jackie Robinson was awesome at baseball so you just disrespect him to compare him to an idiot scrub like Kap.

15. rockets13champs

Would y'all accept kaepernick as a back up QB. If savage got hurt and we needed someone to backup deshawn

HtownTrill likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, because there's no way he'd be able to run BOB's system and BOB wouldn't go with the read-option which is the only thing Kap has had ANY success with. The team would be better off just sticking with Weeden.

17. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

hell yea

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought he got benched before he did the protest thing? I thought he was a rising star with the 49ers, then he had a bad year and never seemed to bounce back.

Talent wise, I'd probably take a risk on him. As an owner, not sure I'd want the baggage of having a guy concerned with using his job as a protest platform, though he said he's done with that. I have no problem with owners being skeptical of taking him on for fear of alienating their fan base that feel like sitting during the anthem is disrespectful. As a fan, I want to win. I want to win, but I want to win with good guys. I don't think Kap is a bad guy. He didn't beat his wife, he didn't do drugs, or get arrested. I don't see how what he did is anywhere close to as bad as what Ray Rice or Greg Hardy did.

BigShasta likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Trump is the primary reason Kap has been blackballed this long. NFL owners aren't colluding with each other. Because of Trump's escalating this issue into the stratosphere, they are merely doing what they feel is best for their individual franchises by not signing him. His talent isn't worth the negative attention he brings.

Remember the Cowboys and Greg Hardy.