1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach of the year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samiam1234, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

In my view if Rockets end up with better then 65 wins and raptors fall short of 60 wins, I don't see how D'antoni can be overlooked, considering how the talking heads were ranking the rox to get worst as two ball dominant point guards would never work.. Considering we were ranked to not even be a top 5 team in the league, and now are running away with the best record by more then 6 games.. Only other coach that could make a case is if Brad Stevens finished with 57 to 58 wins, because of what his team went through... But I think D'antoni is definitely superior to Casey as of now.. Now if Raptors get close to winning out and end up with 61-62 wins and ends up with a better record then warriors, then I agree he is probably deserving of it, on the criteria that D'antoni got it last year, but considering how much our team has improved on defense and is the all time best rated offense he is just as deserving as any coach.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Brad Stevens or Casey, that’s it.

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Gotta give Brad Stevens the COY. What he's done with that depleted squad was incredible.

4. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

yeah I am ok if Brad gets it... I don't think Casey is more deserving then D'antoni..

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I would vote for me. The body of work, how I'm doing it, what's been happening with our team all year long, how we've got so many injuries and things of that nature, guys in and out, to be able to still keep this thing afloat, I definitely would vote me." - Not Gregg Popovich

;):rolleyes:

Waiting for the media to hop on the Pop wagon like they have LeBron.

"He's the best player coach in the league."
    "What he's doing in year 15 22 is incredible."
    "He suffers from Jordan fatigue. He could & should win the award every year."

Mike or Dwane Casey. Honorable mention to Nate McMillan, Brett Brown & Quin Snyder.

hajkov likes this.
  6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If the Rockets win out, D'Antoni should get some serious consideration. That would be a 34-1 close to the season, two B2B 17-game winning streaks sandwiched around a single loss, and a 68-14 record which would be tied for the 5th best winning percentage in NBA history.

Short of that, he ain't getting the award for a 2nd straight year(and for the 3rd time overall). It's either gonna be Dwayne Casey or Brad Stevens.

RockWest likes this.
  8. Mr. Space City

celtics have a winning record without kyrie.

they beat portland, okc, and the jazz without kyrie.

brad stevens got that **** locked up.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Def Brad, it's pretty unbelievable how many wins they got from such a injury devastated squad.

Casey is overated imo, it's more like their GM built them a super bench out of nothing.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not sure why D'Antoni isn't in the conversation more. People were questioning whether Paul would work here

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. count_dough-ku

Because he won last year. B2B Coach of the Year awards don't happen. In fact, I don't think they've ever happened in the history of the league. He deserves consideration, but the sad truth is he's simply not going to win it. Like I said, if the Rockets win out, he'll get some buzz. But he won't actually win the award.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Media is being catty with the Houston market....We only get 1 award: MVP, CoY, or EoY.

The rest loses because the guy who won "carried the team"

Harden's new gf?

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

A lot of people on CF seem to think that we should rest guys, even if we lose a few games. But to my way of thinking, winning out would be a serious mindf$#k for the other teams in the league.

"34-1? How they hell can we win 4 games against these guys?"

Sure, rest and rehab for nagging injuries is important, but don't overlook the power intimidation has to get into someone's head.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dantoni and its not even close
    cmon he beat convincigly the team impossible to beat that supposedly ruined the league

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Naw.

This will definitely go to your boy down on South Beach, Spole. For getting a "griddy" team with "no true star" into the playoffs in the "highly competitive" East.

No way they let D'inchonis win it twice in a row. No way.

18. count_dough-ku

I'm torn on this. I obviously wanna win as many games as possible. But I also don't think we should risk players' health in the process. The good news is we really don't have to. Here's the remaining schedule:

PHX
    @sas
    WSH
    POR
    OKC
    @LAL
    @SAC

The Suns are an easy win. The Spurs are definitely beatable sans Kawhi and possibly without Aldridge. The Wizards are an average team. The Blazers have struggled a bit since their winning streak was snapped(by guess who). The Thunder are arguably the most inconsistent team in the league. And the Lakers and Kings have zero to play for and are mediocre ballclubs.

The only games that even remotely scare me in the closing stretch are San Antonio, Portland, and OKC. And 2 of those are at home. The Rockets absolutely could win out without even trying that hard.

topfive likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

It has to be one between MDA and Brad.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My vote would be Casey