1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Welcome to the next evolution of Rocketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I give credit to the Rockets
    They always pushing to risk and innovate

So many team are just lame ducks. . . .they come and go
    but the Rockets are always in the mix

I have confidence that we will probably be there for sometime

Rocket River

Relativist, D-rock, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

remind me of... some guy at the top mess up and the little guys under him figured out the best way to salvage it and while doing so, find a real gem. If this ends up in a final appearance or a championship, the top guy gets all the credit.

Kim and daywalker02 like this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's just a matter of time when the rest of the league catch on. They always catch on. The longer they don't the better chances we have. I hope they don't until after this year's playoffs.

Relativist, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

I will draw the line at dwarfs.

D-rock and Amiga like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Probably being discussed elsewhere thought it fit here... Let's get weird.
    _______

Winner: Houston Rockets

Part of me thinks I should go the other way here. After all, Houston just traded its starting center and its first-round pick this June for a 3-and-D swingman, a 2024 second-round pick, and Bruno Caboclo, now two years past two years away from being two years away, and still not really there yet. That just doesn’t feel like a sound allocation of assets, you know?

But what can I say? I’m a sucker for commitment to the bit. And, my friends, shopping and then trading Clint Capela for Robert Covington, rolling with a starting lineup that features zero players taller than 6-foot-6, and essentially turning Russell Westbrook into 6-foot-3 Ben Simmons On the Nights Joel Embiid Doesn’t Play—all pace-pushing, wreaking havoc in transition, slicing to the rim through wide-open driving lanes—is some extreme commitment to the bit. I have no idea how this team’s going to stop anyone, but maybe that won’t matter if Houston’s scoring 120-plus every night. **** it. Damn the torpedoes, Mike, Daryl, James, and Russ.

Let’s get weird.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...rade-deadline-winners-losers-clippers-rockets

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If the argument is that we go small with Westbrook, can we at least start Isaiah Hartenstein during those games where Westbrook rests?

DeBeards and deb4rockets like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need a dunker when Russ rests.

Or maybe have Rivers bring up ball and use Harden as the screener so no double.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great writeup @Clutch!

#SmallBall is really #SkillBall. 5 multi-skilled guys on the court at a time. Basically GSW closing lineup. I am fine moving on from Clint in favor of Covington.

1) Yes the Rockets overpaid for Covington. But that is what happens when you TARGET 1 specific player INSTEAD of a position of need and multiple players in the market. Sometimes that happens, I am ok with it.

2) I felt the Rockets didn't get enough back from Clint. Just a mid 1st? I think getting back ATL's OWN 2nd should have been in the deal.

3) Not being able to SPIN UP the deal to get ANOTHER ROTATION player was depressing once again. That would have made me like the deal A LOT more.

Rockets are still behind the 8ball in terms of DEPTH. Can we count on a buyout? I don't think so.

#Tilman throwing away PICKS and MATCHING SALARY is KILLING this team. Clippers got Morris for a pick and expiring. Cavs got Drummond for a SECOND and matching salary. Just some examples.

Rockets depth issues are the blood on Tilman's hands.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

After last night in Arizona, our resident "Mad Scientist," Coach D'Antoni, clearly has more research to do in order to consistently get the results we saw in LA. That, and his department head, Chairman Morey, besides having heavy lifting still to do adding to the roster, needs to see the president of Rockets University about opening his pocketbook and supporting the team. D'Antoni and Morey may be on the same page, but our owner is not, in my opinion.

We need more useful bodies. Harden's health isn't where it needs to be, and absent Westbrook for the 2nd game of a back-to-back on the road (which appears to be a season long irritant), we were meat for the Suns. Frank Vogel was clearly well prepared, certainly for these early days of the Pocket Rockets.

Yes, Covington just got here, and it was expecting a lot for the guy to repeat what he did against an LA team blindsided by the Rockets, but I think we are going to need more quick length that can shoot and defend, both inside and on the perimeter, to make this work in the long run. That, and James needs to get over what ails him, because something physically clearly does. In my opinion, anyway. Last night was sobering. I hope the buyout market is kind to us. We need it to be.

Relativist and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This whole season has been adjustments.
    These changes mean more adjustments

when is the next game

Rocket River

D-rock, bj3175 and Deckard like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to get younger longer players and/or more energy players. Our team is too old and beat up and coming off tough B2B, already short handed with Russ resting then EGo gets banged up in 1st quarter.

If role players not hitting shots when Harden doubled and he makes right pass, then it was due to tired legs. Even our younger guys were off but not make up for outside shots with driving, rebounding or defense.

McLemore and House only good when fresh because they both do not have wingspan to snag boards or attack rim without energy.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And they keep signing over 30 yr old veterans.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's where the buyout market is. It's like shopping in the Goodwill store. You might pick up something decent. But you're not gonna get anything brand new.

bj3175 and daywalker02 like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Depends where you shop, you can still get some gently used items:

Dragan Bender - 22 yrs
    Bobby Portis - 24 yrs
    MKG - 26 yrs
    Moe Harkless - 26 yrs
    Dion Waiters - 28 yrs
    Bismack Biyombo - 28 yrs

And Jonah Bolden is 24 yrs old.

Easy and DeBeards like this.
  18. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

This is a great point in regards to playmaking. Westbrook certainly draws more attention than cp3 and thus the passing lanes are more open for him at this point in their careers, but cp3's passes were crisp, on time, and right in the shooting pocket most of the time. It was way more apparent when he did draw defenders to him though and found guys. Not to say Russ doesn't do this, just not as often. Of course, the fact that he has so much more gravity to him certainly helps. Harden is a little better than it than russ, but definitely not in those half court traps we've been seeing.

The whole discussion is the essence of why we bricked 27 three's (as ESPN always reminds us). When we didn't have another player outside of harden drawing the defense, most of those shots were not open, resulting in our role players needing to readjust the ball into their motion off the dribble, or just straight shoot it over their defender, making for harder shots.

Good shooters can make a high percentage of shots when the circumstances are just right. Great shooters can make them even when they're not. We have mostly good shooters.

D-rock, Relativist and Zboy like this.
  19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This will be great and entertaining for the regular season...

The playoffs are an entirely different monster and more slow down half court...

T_Man

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For some reason, the Small Ball reminds me of the Run and Shoot offense of the Oilers.

Clutch, ChrisP and D-rock like this.