1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Heat 10/18/2019 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

First game that both Harden and Westbrook looked great. Even with the second unit as they were giving up the lead Westbrook was still playing well and creating open shots for the team, they just failed to convert.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

So I guess Elston Turner is just another warm body on the bench......

D-rock and RocketsTerps like this.
  3. 34to11

34to11 Member

Yep. They were very fair and objective while still supporting their guys.
    Night and day compared to those clowns who called the game for the Raptors.

4. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

What’s my problem? It’s preseason for starters. It’s good time to evaluate new and current role players. Have you watched other teams/contenders play preseason games? They are resting their stars for the most part and evaluating other players, especially in the 2nd half or 4th quarter. Good example, Jimmy Butler for Miami resting. Dragic/Olynyk barely playing any minutes who are starters for Heat.

And you are contradicting your own statement. Up by double digits then why use Harden at all?! Rest him! Secondly, we all know what Harden can do and if it’s effortless for him then why bother playing him 35 minutes for a pointless preseason game? Keep his legs fresh for games that actually matter!

5. 34to11

34to11 Member

You may want to actually watch a game or two.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Did the rockets even get a big lead on these guys? That defense needs to be much better if we’re going to have a nice opening night

7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I did watch a game or 2, sarcastic prick. It’s my assessment of not seeing enough plays designed for Westbrook on offense. Don’t act like you are the NBA god. Want to refute my argument then do so with substance.

#227 Magicsaint, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    jcmoon, Lawlruschang and manlisten like this.
  8. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I agree harden needs to be rested in the playoffs but I think he is a rhythm guy. Last year he was always better on the second night of a back to back and he said last year the team got off to a bad start because they rested in preseason and didn’t get reps. Hopefully we will be a little bit crisper in the first few games while our opponents are still getting comfortable

9. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

From that perspective I agree. Maybe he himself wants to play more preseason game to get back in rhythm. But I am also concerned then that if they are going to be so highly depended on Harden alone, then what changes for Rockets with Westbrook? I hope Westbrook struggle is due to his injury alone.

Lawlruschang and DreamQuake like this.
  10. 34to11

34to11 Member

Well given the cluelessness of your comment I felt snarky derision was the appropriate response.

You actually suggested the team wasn't trying to utilize Westbrook's speed and ability to attack the rim, lol.
    Forgive me if I don't find that worthy of substantive reply.

Also, sorry if my sarcasm disturbs you, but mockery is my favorite tool against idiocy. :cool:

icewill36 likes this.
  11. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Yeah I can see that you are part of the pansies that like to sit behind the computer and flex keyboard muscles.

jcmoon and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

because this team needs to build chemistry. we have a lot of new faces. we need the guys who will actually be playing to play not guys on the third string who will be in the g league most of the year.

fckbandwagons and fryjol7 like this.
  13. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

The reason to play the rotation is because they have not played together.

I think this is the first time with Westbrook they switched so much. Something helps us to hide him and generate more turnovers.

not sure if you remember the small line up with Westbrook before. I don’t and it was actually positive.

I really liked James defense today, seems the best Westbrook effect, WB tried so little that out of friendship, Harden is actually working hard, and of course, making an impact defensively.

I had the chance to see them live today and I’m less worried about the team. I was in panic after the Spurs game. Don’t know about the playoffs, but Regular Season we are at least very similar to our last year’s team. Gordon was beasting today

overall, good practice.

Hakeemtheking and Lawlruschang like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets were up by like 21 towards the end of the 3rd...they let that undrafted no-name player on the Heat go off for 40

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This is 100% fact. It baffles me MDA went the whole offseason without adding one wrinkle to the offense

bmelo likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Offense will be fine, just because we have Gordon and Harden alone, but that defense - especially commitment to boxing out and rebounding instead of ball watching thinking you can just have the rebound - needs work. Tyson getting switched on Dragic and Nunn is just silly. Really like Nunn by the way, he seems like a guy who can ball. On our side, I really can see Clemons getting minutes with WB not fully healthy yet and Rivers not having done much aside from the injury. McLemore, as long as he hits that 3, we should be good. Capela needs to man up a bit more, not do that full arm shove or else mask it and the rest will be fine.

I do agree that I don't see anything particular MDA has done to make WB the best player he can be, but that ultimately falls or stands with accountability. Those rushed shots were already bad with OKC, now that he has green light from 3, it's going to backfire more often than not. We will struggle on defense and might not even make top 10-15. Bucks is not going to be easy next Thursday, but bring it on.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden giveth 40 and taketh it.

Didn't watch the game but a couple had James guarded Nunn.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who cares. It's still not the night to be acting like Capela sucks.

D-rock likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Westbrook hurt his hand again?

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m concerned WB is a bad defender

Also we need help at 4 and 5

I’m not sold on thabo , chandler , or hartenstein and we are already putting a big load on PJ and Clint

D-rock likes this.