1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Classic eg of abuse of power

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, May 18, 2018.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Trump pressured postmaster general to double the shipping rates for Amazon

The dotard has personally pressured Postmaster General Megan Brennan, on several occasions, to double the charges Amazon and other firms pay to ship packages, a new report said Friday.

Brennan resisted Trump’s demand, explaining “in multiple conversations” that the rates are set in contracts and that any changes would have to be approved by regulators, the Washington Post reported.

She also told Trump that the Amazon relationship was beneficial for the Postal Service and that many other companies also partner with the service for deliveries.

Despite her arguments, Trump has kept slamming Amazon, which is owned by Jeff Bezos, who also owns the DC paper, whose coverage of Team Trump is often critical — or “fake,” in the words of the president.

Trump has raged in public and private about Amazon and Bezos.

Trump has continued to claim, facts-free, that Amazon is being subsidized by the Postal Service and
    accused the Washington Post of being Amazon’s “chief lobbyist.”

Bezos / Amazon should consider filing a civil suit against the dotard, for defamation and abuse of power

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

This sort of thing by head of state do happen, just not in the USA till trump.

After trump , we will need clear laws holding POTUS accountable to such abuse.

edwardc and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when Chavez of Venezuela tried this kind of stuff. Now Trump is doing it, and his supporters have no problem with it.

B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Liberals

The government needs money to operate. Y'all b**** about tax cuts then complain about getting more money out of corporations

You just sound like nagging b****es

Abuse of power? Amazon has plenty choices of carriers

#4 pgabriel, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    mick fry likes this.
  5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

were you not a liberal when you were a hardcore obama supporter/defender for 8 years? you come off as the biggest "nagging b****" on this entire forum. all you do is get upset and complain when people criticize the president, be it obama or trump.

are you actually good with a president using the power of his office to try and financially punish people/companies he doesnt like?

#5 jo mama, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    krnxsnoopy likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He isn't punishing Amazon

He is trying to help postal workers who there are less of because the post office is broke.

I support any President trying to help government institutions financially

Amazon doesn't have to use the post office. So it's not punative

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You are starting off already not making sense here. A President using the power of his office to go after a businessman because the businessman owns a newspaper that has reported factual but unflattering information about the President.

Using the power of office to try and exact revenge for personal matters is an about as clear-cut example of abuse of power as you will find.

Your post doesn't attempt to deny that it is an abuse of power by Trump.

Basically, all you've done is say that you don't like hearing about it.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@jo mama

Please leave that Obama **** in 2016. But on being a liberal, Obama was moderate financially and socially.

One of the things underrated about Obamacare is going after money through trying to eliminate Medicare fraud.

I'm down with any President trying to get money

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This wasn't about the President trying to get money. It is about the President using the power of his office to settle a personal grudge.

We know that Amazon already provides the USPS with tons of money and helps them with their financials.

Apparently, you are okay with president's using their position to settle personal grudges as well.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Revenge for what.

The deal Amazon made with the post office was frowned upon

If he gave a corporation a sweetheart deal you would b****

The b****ing is large reason why he won. He looks active going against a bunch of complainers

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I already told you what he has against the owner of Amazon who also owns the Washington Post. He doesn't like the media's coverage of him so he tries to hurt the person who owns the Post. It's similar to what Nixon did to the Washington Post. The Post office is required to make deals that aren't run at a cost deficit, so Amazon's deal with them wasn't anything that special.

You crying about b****ing is hilarious. There was no b****ing about Trump abusing his power as president before he was president. If there was b****ing about potential abuse of power then it has been shown to be valid and wise. I hardly think that is a reason why Trump won. It might be a reason why he lost the popular vote.

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  12. Amiga

Supporting Member

This isn’t a liberal thing. I’m almost sure nearly everyone see the abuse here, except maybe for diehard trump supporter.

I see that you think government official (or maybe just trump) using their power to hurt private company is fine.

The postal already stated that the contract was beneficial. You have to believe trump lies and not the postal office to think otherwise.

How is pushing amazon to other carrier making money for the government ?

krnxsnoopy and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade

That's all speculation

Here is fact. The post office is broke. The President is just trying to make a good deal

This complaint is ridiculous

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not having Amazon there is worse than having them there even if it’s not as favorable as they would want. In fact, it’s already a contractual obligation.

You sound like a misinformed r****d that thinks only with his raging hardon for trump.

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  15. Amiga

Supporting Member

You just avoided answering. As usual it’s because you are full of bs.

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

LOL that's rich, "Let's cut billions in tax revenue then complain we don't have enough money to operate"

17. jo mama

i will not...you made your bed and now you have to lie in it. im going to forever hold you to account for the fact that you were a hardcore obama supporter/defender for 8 years. you got really upset whenever i was critical of obamas policies and now you get really upset when i am critical of trumps policies. you are a just a boot-licker with a boner for authority figures. thats what makes it so humorous when you call others "nagging b****es"...its pretty much all you do. you get way more upset with people who criticize presidents than you do with the presidents themselves. even when they lie and you admit that they lie you still get more upset with people calling out the liar then you do the actual liar. its pathetic.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

I'm not running from any support of Obama. I stand by everything I supported.

I wish you would quit bringing it up cause it has nothing to do with these topics

Why can't I argue for this cause I supported Obamacare

What does this have to do with Obamacare.
    I'm tired of responding to stupid senseless **** like you tying this to what happened when Obama was President. It's two different people.

Some of you idiots need the simplest point spelled out

If you responded with a similar Obama issue that I felt differently then you would possibly making sense

19. jo mama

he is trying to. and its for political reasons. trump seems obsessed with amazon. he is always talking about them and bezos.

no he isnt. and yes, the post office is broke...but amazon is probably the biggest factor revenue growth. without amazon the post office would be losing more money than they already are. the postmaster general is on record that saying their relationship with amazon is mutually beneficial and that trump is wrong. the revenue loses are primarily a result of less first class mail being sent and increasing retirement/pensions.

as far as postal workers...there are less of them because we dont need as many as we did 20 years ago. are you in favor of the government artificially maintaining jobs for people? that does not sound like someone who says they support a president who is trying to be financially responsible.

Nook likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So Amazon should bail on USPS, cutting off a major source of capital? I'd have to guess breaching their contract by doubling rates would be enough for Amazon to walk away. THAT'LL SHOW EM!