1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Coen Bros' The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Sep 12, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the review. That settled my mind on trying to see it on the big screen rather than Netflix. I haven't read the spoiler yet since I haven't seen it. I will come back and read that part after seeing the movie. I love old school storytelling. I love the cowboy/frontier music. Dark humor is also right up my alley.

In addition, I love the Cohen Bros. movies except for one. I even like the ones that other folks don't like. I was a fan of Hail Caesar. It wasn't my favorite but I thought there were some brilliant things in that movie. I really loved it. The only one that I hated was Burn After Reading. I thought it was plebian and the laughs seemed forced, stale, and outdated even at the time. I was able to finish the movie because a few of the visuals and color correction and grading kept me interested. Miller's Crossing had such amazing action sequences. Now I'm even more excited to see this movie.

Thanks again for the review and recommendation.

::edit:: Well the only theater in the area showing the film is an hour away. I'm going to dim the lights and crank up the surround speakers here, make some popcorn, and watch it on Netflix. I'm kind of disappointed and may be doing myself a disservice. But the combined two hours of travel time makes it difficult. I will ask the in-laws that are coming to stay today if they want to watch it, but I doubt they will or that they'd appreciate it if they did watch it.

#21 FranchiseBlade, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    B-Bob likes this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now I'm very excited about this. There are few things as good in cinema as the Coens when they are hitting on all cylinders.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

This is where I stopped reading, no offense.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, you're welcome. Whatevs. Great flick.
    Will see again.

5. Buck Turgidson

Well, **** me, that was certainly not the post or even thread I thought I was replying to.

I still trust your movie reviews.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

great review B-Bob, thanks. can't wait to see it

7. B-Bob

Thanks, I think I was a little too giddy the day after seeing it, but it really worked for me and Mrs. B-Bob too.
    The theater was really tiny, about 40 people, but they all seemed to like it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

9. B-Bob

Ah, too bad. You must be more in line with Lane; I'm more in line, this time, with Edelstein. [spoilers in both]

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Just caught this on Netflix. This was very good 8/10. The final 3 stories were amazingly well done.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Son and I watched this Friday, enjoyed it. Thought the first 2 segments ended too soon and would have liked to see a little more of both. I liked them but they both left me wanting a little more of the characters in them. The other 4 were really enjoyable. Especially liked the last 2. I had to pause after Mr. Krabbs died in teh first segment because I laughed for a solid 5 minutes.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. B-Bob

:D
    It's an amazing scene. I like that the shock of Buster's no-gun technique is then punctuated by him doing it two more time, gratuitiously. The breaking into song was so perfect too.

Saloon song amaze-pants:

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I really enjoyed the All Gold Canyon story.
    I expected something to happen the way it did to the prospector when excavating for "Mr. Pocket". Kinda funny how he stole from the Eagle and nearly had the same happen to him.
    I guess that's the irony of the story.

The saddest story was The Gal Who Got Rattled. The ending was unexpected, in a way.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. B-Bob

The Coen Bros were on Fresh Air yesterday. I was excite to listen, but it wasn't a great interview overall. They had some hilarious bits about how to film a wagon train and what-not.
    Terry Gross loves musicals, so she started asking them about Hail Caesar. :rolleyes:

One cool thing that came out of the interview: they wrote the lead story, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, about 20 years ago and thought they'd never get to produce it. If that timing is accurate, it's the Big Lebowski era, and that kind of makes sense with the tone of the first story.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched this last night. I enjoyed it for what it was, though the first two vignettes were so unexpected in their tone (really the first moreso than the second) that it kind of threw me off. I really enjoyed the other four (especially the wagon train one) but I kept looking for some kind of thread that would join them all together and never really saw it. So ultimately when the last story ended it felt a little empty. But I think that was a function of expecting a fully cohesive story running through all six and not getting it. I've been thinking about it a lot this morning, which is usually the sign of a good movie for me. That last story was haunting and very, very affecting.

I need to watch this again.

FranchiseBlade, donkeypunch and B-Bob like this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seen about half of it so far. My wife got through the first 2 vignettes and quit. She generally likes the Coen brothers' stuff, but it was too morbid for her. Good thing she didn't see #3. I'm enjoying it enough so far. What strikes me is the vignettes are very 'small concept' stories. That's fine, and Coen Bros can do small concept better than anyone else probably -- Inside Llewyn Davis is like that, as is A Serious Man. I would have thought Netflix would want something bigger.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just watched it. absolutely fantastic. what a mix, will have to think about it for a while. the wagon train one got me.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. B-Bob

Me too. Still thinking about several segments.