1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chucky Atkins out 6-8 weeks with hurt groin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tfor3, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I know Bonzi has gone on record saying his health-concerns were all JVG-stuff, but this is what I feared this preseason when the groin-issue came up.
    Glad it was NOT like this. Hope this is not a repost. If so, lock it up. :cool:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...007/10/27/bc.bkn.nuggets.atkins.ap/index.html

DENVER (AP) -- Denver Nuggets guard Chucky Atkins is expected to miss six to eight weeks after an MRI on Saturday revealed a severe right groin strain.

Atkins, who signed with the Nuggets in July, has been bothered during the preseason by a pulled groin. He left an exhibition game against Phoenix on Thursday with a groin injury.

The eight-year veteran averaged 13.2 points and 4.6 assists with Memphis last season.

The Nuggets said Saturday they have re-signed guard Mike Wilks, whom they waived on Tuesday.

Wilks signed with the Nuggets on Oct. 18. He had two points and one assist in six minutes of the one preseason game he played before he was waived.

He has played five NBA seasons with Atlanta, Minnesota, Houston, San Antonio, Cleveland and Seattle, where he averaged 3.6 points and 1.7 assists in 47 games last season.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Rafer for Najera.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

JR Smith also has some legal issues but they're over the cap and won't want to take on salary.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was watching the game when he pulled up hurting. It was just one of those things where it was hard to see how he got hurt. Too bad for the Nugs.

5. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Atkins would have helped tremendously, but the Nugs chances depend solely on Iverson, and whether or not he can still handle to point effectively. Atkins is a nice addition but certainly would not have not pushed them over the edge.

With so much power on the post, and superstar ballhandlers, losing Chuck should not affect their approach as much as one might think. I still think they end up a 5th-7th seed and don't see the second round.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.
    Houston Rockets

Incoming Players
    Photo: Marcus Camby
    Marcus Camby
    Salary: $11,250,000 Years Remaining: 3

Outgoing Players: Bob Sura, Rafer Alston, Luther Head
    Denver Nuggets

Incoming Players
    Photo: Bob Sura
    Bob Sura
    Salary: $3,840,000 Years Remaining: 1
    Photo: Rafer Alston
    Rafer Alston
    Salary: $4,550,000 Years Remaining: 3
    Photo: Luther Head
    Luther Head
    Salary: $1,122,000 Years Remaining: 1

Outgoing Players: Marcus Camby

...plus a first-round pick and cash to Denver...

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Wow....uh, interesting trade ideas in this thread.

This is a blessing in disguise for three reasons.

1.) It gets the Nuggets "early season injury curse" out of the way (two years ago it was Nene for the season in the first game, last year K-Mart for the season in the second).

2.) It allows us to figure out our SG position. Diawara got the start against Phoenix, but I still think that it's going to be Bobby Jones on Wednesday. Jones isn't as good of a defender as Diawara, but he's close and unlike Yak, he's at least competent on offense. Von Wafer and JR Smith are both fighting for playing time too. I'd love to see JR get his head on straight so we could go with Jones and Smith for the majority of our minutes, but I don't see that happening. Plus, the front office seems pretty high on Wafer.

3.) It forces AI to play the point so we can finally figure out how he's going to look and if we need to go with our midget backcourt or if we can go normal.

All in all, I would have preferred him not to get hurt (obviously), but I'm ok with it coming now. We'll have him back by January.