1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC Dick Justice] So that's why the Rockets could still use Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/04/so_thats_why_th.html

The Blazers were worried about Yao Ming and no one else in Game 2. OK, that's a bit of a stretch, but not much.

Portland's defense swarmed Yao, running two or three defenders at him on almost every possession. No one else really worried them. They were willing to gamble that Ron Artest, Luis Scola, etc., couldn't beat them.

The Rockets will look at the video and see moments when they were impatient, moments when they missed getting the ball inside. On the whole, though, what the video is going to remind them how much they miss Tracy McGrady.

''Teams can't do some of the things they've been doing to Yao if we've got Tracy,'' Rick Adelman said. ''He would make them pay.''

Ron Artest is really talented and really strong. He's capable of putting a team on his shoulder. But he's erratic and loses focus. On the night the Rockets needed him to hit some shots and draw the Blazers off Yao, Artest was 2 for 11 after the first quarter.

It has become popular in recent week to say the Rockets were better without Tracy McGrady. That was never, never, never true.

The Rockets were better without an injured McGrady, without a player going in and out of the lineup, never quite knowing what to do about a left knee that was never right.

McGrady attracts do much defensive attention and is so good at creating things for others the Blazers wouldn't have thought of trying that defensive strategy with him on the floor.

I've heard Carroll Dawson may have some one-on-one tutoring sessions as soon as Tracy is able to do basketball work again. He did great work helping Yao refind his low-post game the last couple of summers and would like a chance to help Tracy on an assortment of things.

McGrady will be on the bench Friday night at Toyota Center when the Rockets and Blazers play Game 3. He'll be in street clothes. He hasn't been around much since getting injured, but his presence will remind the Rockets why they still need him.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

At this point it is pretty obvious that we need a creator in the 4th qt when teams decide to take Yao out the game. Hopefully we find that guy next year in whoever the Front Office decides it should be.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

We need a superstar to take the last shot.

4. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Its obvious to say that "well it would have been nice had they had a 20 mil player on the court"

:rolleyes:

5. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Um, "Dick" Justice speaks the truth.

People on this board need to admit we need a healthy McGrady.

McGrady this year deserves the criticism he gets, because he WAS bad. The McGrady last year in the Jazz playoffs would be so good for us right now.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It looks like Aaron Brooks and Von Wafer are taking on that role.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There aren't many guys who can create like Tracy used to. Even those of lesser talent are locked up by their teams.

8. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

I agree with what Justice said.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

They are good and inconsistent in terms of just creating for themselves.

We need a guy who can create for himself and others. It's a pretty big task to try and get a guy like that so we will see what the future holds.

1 person likes this.
  10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

McGrady is talented at 100% ...no doubt.

My problem with Tracy is his decision making during crunch time. He doesn't make championship decisions ...he makes 1st round decisions.

He pulls up for 30 ft 3point shots with 18 seconds on the shotclock.

He either wants points or assists. TMac doesn't care about "intangibles". He makes great assists but he doesn't make the extra pass well within the flow of the Adlemen's offense. When last have you seen TMac drawing an offensive foul? How about setting a hard pick?

I don't think Tmac is a winner. We've seen what he offers. Lets see if we can make a trade to pick up a veteran guy (like Billups) that CAN help take this team to the next level.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I agree he deserve criticism but some of the things people say around here?
    "T-Wack go play in traffic" really?

We need a finisher no doubt, don't know if McGrady can do that anymore.

Again, waiting game is very important.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

I agree it will be hard. At this point even if the Rockets do allow T-mac back next year I'm just not sure how he will be. He still will be a great passer but he has to start moving better on offense and not making it stagnant. We often had 4th qt. collapses with him too.

13. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I would say McGrady should look at tape after his injury, to see how the Rockets function without him.

But the roster will definitely change at the start of next season, so that's a moot point.

McGrady NEEDS to defer to Yao. NEEDS to.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I like the current team we have on the court. Crazy Ron has taken some questionable shots, but we need his aggressiveness, bullishness, and defense. Me-Mac can't provide that.

Others who were in the Me-Mac offense earlier this season are now stepping out in this Adelman offense and showing what they can do. If Me-Mac was on the court now, everyone would just stand around watching him try to create something.

This offense has to run through Yao. 6 shots for an All-Star 7'6 center is pathetic. Brooks and Lowry need to setup the offense, feed the ball into Yao, and let him create. He will be able to setup open shots to his perimeter players.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh I think everyone including Mac knows this is Yao's team especially if we get out the 1st round this year which has a very good chance of happening. I just don't know about T-mac though. He needed to be more aggressive if he still has fears after this surgery than we are going through what we went through this year all over again.

16. ibm

ibm Member

justice's stock just went down another level. i mean what is the point of his pathetic blog?

yeah, i wish we could use some of akeem's service last night. adding clyde would've been shabby, either.

17. redao

redao Member

TMAC? Does he ever win?

0 and 7.

why is this time different?

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Everyone knows why the Rockets could use McGrady or why any team would love to have a healthy McGrady. Who is Justice writing this article to my grandma?

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ummm...i'm not a defender of justice in any way, shape or form. those of you who read the astros forum know that and then some.

but hakeem and clyde weren't on this roster...tracy was. and all over this message board i've read people saying adamantly that we're a better team without tracy than with him.

20. harryrms

harryrms Member

The problem is that we don't know if Tracy can become his old self ever.
    Based on his history and his relatively weak mind power, I'd say
    there is very little chance.
    We are better off let his contract expire and pursue a superstar (like
    Wade) or an all-star (like Roy) to close out games.