1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]Promoter Arum calls Pacquiao-Mayweather dead

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMadness, Dec 24, 2009.

1. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Associated Press
    LAS VEGAS — Promoter Bob Arum declared the megafight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. dead Thursday, though efforts continued to find a compromise to a dispute over blood testing.

“It’s over,” Arum said. “O-V-E-R.”

Arum had set a Thursday deadline for an agreement on testing, the only issue not resolved for the planned March 13 fight. But with the Mayweather camp still insisting on using the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to conduct the tests, Arum said there wasn’t much left to discuss.

“They’re viewed by the Pacquiao side as being partisan,” Arum said, referring to USADA. “He doesn’t want to use them. I don’t want to use them. They’re so inflexible they can’t be used.”

Despite Arum’s statements, there were some talks through intermediaries to try and salvage the bout. Neither side, though, appeared to be backing off its position on the biggest dispute: Who will do the testing?

Arum said he planned to move forward by having Pacquiao fight March 13 against Paul Malignaggi, a flashy but light-hitting 140-pounder. He said there was still a chance Pacquiao and Mayweather could meet later in the year.

“As far as I’m concerned the fight is over,” Arum said. “Can it be revisited in the fall? We’ll see.”

Mayweather’s representatives could not be immediately reached for comment, but Arum said an effort Thursday by HBO Sports chief Ross Greenburg to reach a compromise had failed. There were still other talks going on between the two sides, but the odds of the fight happening were dimming with each day.

At the core of the dispute is the insistence of the Mayweather camp of using Olympic-style drug testing for the fight, even though both fighters have never been linked to any performance-enhancing substances. Under Nevada regulations, boxers are generally only tested just before the fight and in the dressing room afterward, and only urine is given.

Mayweather’s camp wants blood tests that can find things urine tests can’t, such as use of human growth hormone, and they want them done by USADA from the time the fight is signed until the fight is held. Pacquiao’s side has agreed to both urine and blood testing, but doesn’t want testing immediately before the fight because Pacquiao believes giving blood so soon before a fight will weaken him.

A possible resolution that had been discussed would allow USADA to do limited testing. That would likely not be accepted by USADA because it wants to set an example that all athletes should be subject to random and unannounced testing at any time.

The fight was expected to be the richest ever, with both fighters earning $30 million to $40 million, depending on television sales.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/box/6786414.html
    Lock if posted.

2. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

i hate this

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just another blow to boxing, if true. dana white is at least a little giddy.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I know why he would be giddy, but I think it would be pretty dumb of him to be that way. He doesn't always bring in the best fights. He hasn't been able to bring in or resign fighters like Fedor, Mousasi, or Henderson. At one point in time he was willing to co-promote, but that changed when UFC became the big dog among fighting organizations. The UFC's business plan is a successful one, but he's failed at bringing in the best fights plenty of times as well.

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i dont know how giddy he will be, i know hes a huge boxing fan. but you gotta believe hes grinning right now. white always talks about how boxing gives people the fights they dont wanna see. now, when they're so close to getting the 1 fight everyone wants to see, its slipping away. it certainly doesnt help boxing this fight isnt happening.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds like just more posturing during negotiations. If it's truely "dead" or "O-V-E-R", then "efforts" would not have "continued."

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No worries, Gayweather won't keep these r****ded (if you think fair you are a moron) requests up. The money is too much and he'll stop crying.

Gayweather-the Bigger man. Longer reach. better defense FIGHT HIM YOU SCARED P****!

8. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

Can't wait till Mayweather knocks his lights out

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I can see Manny losing to Mayweather through decision, but no way he knocks Manny out.

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

yea if mayweather wins it will not be a knockout. it will be a long boring decision.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Arum's garbage. The near future of boxing and UFC looks pretty dim.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I wonder what the Pac Man is trying to hide.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Manny's enitre legacy is becoming more and more ARod like every minute. In the eyes of the public he's already guilty. What's even more amazing is that now, JMM and SSM have told Arum that they won't fight Pacquiao unless he agrees to the same testing. Essentially, it's agree to the testing or retire at this point.

14. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

Maybe I'm just trying to stay positive about this, but I do believe Bob Arum is the guy who said "Yesterday I was lying, today I'm telling the truth". Just for some background.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Please let this fight happen. I knew it was made too fast. There was boumd to be some holdups.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

nothing. he''s agreed to both the blood and urine test. but not a blood test immediately before the fight

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

To me, it makes Manny look like a cheater. That's a helluva lot of money to just walk away from...must be hiding something.

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I think you have to look at it through Mannys perspective. Especially coming from the Philippines. Superstitions gobble up athletes. Especially to Boxers.

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I dont understand. He thinks it will make him weaker? Wouldn't it make them both equally as weak? Wouldnt it be a level playing field?

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Pacman is dodging the blood test, he might be dirty.