1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Ortiz/Fallas switch beats

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ryan17wagner, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Jesus de Ortiz no longer covers the Astros. He's now on the Soccer y Futbol beat. Fallas is now on the Astros.

A thanks and an invitation to come visit

They say all good things must come to an end.

This will probably be my last post on Soccer y Futbol, for at least the foreseeable future.

It's not like I'm going far, though. I have been assigned to cover the Astros effective this week, and you should have the chance to see my same ol' ugly mug over at the Astros blog soon.

Still, I feel compelled to say thanks.

It's funny how life works sometimes.

When I joined the Chronicle's sports department as a junior copy editor in 2004, I didn't envision getting a chance to cover a sport.

Much less the sport that has captivated my emotions and provided me with some of my most memorable childhood memories.

Before joining the Chronicle full time, I worked as an agate clerk and volunteered to cover a couple of what then were obscure soccer friendlies pitting foreign teams.

If memory serves me right, it started with Club-America-Santos at Robertson Stadium.

MLS had yet to arrive in Houston. Gold Cup had yet to arrive in Houston. InterLiga was just getting here.

I have always thought of myself as a behind-the-scenes kind of guy.

We copy editors (given that up until last week I was one on a part-time basis, I am including myself here) are a weird bunch, to be honest, but I will spare you the details. Let's just say we somehow seem content sitting at a desk, spending long evenings staring at a computer screen reading great copy. See what I mean?

I always thought my role in covering soccer would be limited to writing a gamer on occasion, helping coordinate coverage of the World Cup and launching projects such as the soccer page and this Soccer y Futbol blog.

But, again, it's funny how life works sometimes.

Some five years later, I have had the opportunity to cover a two-time MLS champion, a Mexican First Division title match in Toluca, a thrilling CONCACAF semifinal in Pachuca, some incredibly exciting international matches and tournaments, and witness Houston, our very own city, become a soccer hot spot more than worthy of inclusion in a World Cup bid.

Along the way, I have had the chance to meet many exceptional people, from players to coaches to fans of the sport.

Better yet, I have been afforded the utmost privilege of getting to share my thoughts, opinions, my passion and, most of all, my respect for the game with you on a regular basis.

For that, I thank you. Your comments, contributions, rants, feedback and criticisms have always been appreciated.

Houston is lucky to have a newspaper whose leadership aims to give soccer its place in an already crowded sports landscape. Not many major cities can say the same.

Houston is also lucky to have a professional soccer team that treats its fans as well as the media with utmost class and respect.

The Dynamo and soccer in general are lucky to have a passionate, loyal and knowledgeable fan base in Houston.

So, yeah. For me, one good thing is coming to an end. Of course, that doesn't mean that what follows isn't at least just as good.

I am extremely excited about the opportunity that lies ahead.

Even more excited still knowing someone of the caliber, knowledge and experience of my colleague and friend, Jesus Ortiz, is taking over this beat.

This year is shaping up to be an exciting one in soccer.

The MLS draft is coming up, and before you know it, a new season will be upon us. A historic South Africa 2010 lies just around the corner, expectations for the national team are high, and the United States could land the 2018 or 2022 World Cup by year's end.

In between, negotiations between the MLS players union and the league are intensifying, as the parties should avoid a lockout at all costs for the sake of the sport in the U.S. and national team program. I am confident a compromise, one that at the very least will put negotiations regarding some of the more contentious issues on hold for at least a year, will be reached.

The Dynamo-Stuart Holden saga should come to an end one way or the other soon. For what it's worth, I think Stuart will be in a Dynamo uniform to kick off the season, even as he is in Europe on trial, the team has been told. But that's just my opinion.

That said, the Dynamo's starting lineup looks to change one way or the other, with Geoff Cameron earning an even more prominent role.

In short, soccer will give us plenty to talk about in 2010.

So keep it tuned here. And don't be shy. If you can make the time, come visit over at the Astros blog.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archi...ed:+houstonchronicle/soccer+(Soccer+y+Futbol)

2. Landlord Landry

Jesus de Ortiz is just about the worst beat writer ever.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

huge loss for the futbol side.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Ortiz is embarrassing. Sucks for Dynamo fans, but hey, he might surprise I guess.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I guess there will be no more "THE ASTROS ARE RACIST" columns. I wonder if Ortiz will start calling the Dynamo racists...