1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China slashes auto import tax.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, May 22, 2018.

1. adoo

adoo Member

dispense w the convenient "head-buried-in-sand" rhetoric

little more nuance is in order, http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/388913-republicans-think-trump-is-losing-trade-war

Republicans think Trump is losing trade war

DJ Trump is facing a significant backlash from Senate Republicans over his trade talks with China, which they see as delivering far less than he promised.

Several GOP senators say Trump has wound up on the losing side of the discussions, and his talk of lifting rules barring U.S. companies from selling to the Chinese telecommunications firm ZTE has prompted a revolt.

The Senate Banking Committee on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of an amendment to block Trump from easing penalties on ZTE, which violated U.S. sanctions by selling equipment to North Korea and Iran.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) blasted Trump’s trade strategy on Tuesday as ineffective.

“Sadly #China is out-negotiating the administration & winning the trade talks right now,” he wrote on Twitter. “They have avoided tariffs & got a #ZTE deal without giving up anything meaningful in return by using N. Korea talks & agriculture issues as leverage.”​

Lawmakers from farm states have been the most vocal in pressing Trump to reconsider his tactics.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said farmers and ranchers he met with on Tuesday are not reassured by Trump’s claim over the weekend via Twitter that

“China has agreed to buy massive amounts of additional farm/agricultural products.”
    “I’ve been meeting with farmers and ranchers all morning. I have not yet heard one
    who thinks the U.S. has won anything from the Chinese leadership,” . “They’re scared to death.”
    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said he agreed with Rubio’s critique.

Other GOP senators are faulting the administration for a disorganized approach.

They say Trump was wrong to threaten sanctions, causing turmoil in markets, only to pull back and declare the trade war over, before reversing course again with new threats.

“Is there a plan somewhere?” asked Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), the chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee.

#41 adoo, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

First let me clarify this since you jumped on it. When I said other administrations didn't try harder I meant using tactics like threatening tariffs. My mistake for not being clearer on that.

On ZTE, if China asked for the US to be leniant on trade negotiations, I have no problem with Trump accommodating them. I'm typing on a ZTE phone right now. I don't go to sleep worrying about NK or Iran and Trump pulling out of the Iran treaty is actually an issue I disagree with Trump on.

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Sounds like a comment from foxnews.com except you forgot to add MAGA.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... looks like someone is trying to redefine what a successful "deal" is with China...

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You understand things like negotiating contracts are fluid. Whether it be trade agreements, sports contracts, labor contracts, etc etc etc. Coming in with criticism like this only makes you look petty

6. NewRoxFan

I think you have a misspelling in this response... "pretty" not petty. Thanks for the compliment and your interest, but I'm married, and while I am decent looking, pretty might be a bit much. But getting back to topic...

Your obsession to defend trump in every post noted, but obviously negotiations are "fluid". trump and his defenders bring criticism on themselves by his "promise big, self-promote even bigger, then under-deliver." The June 12 peace talks being one example, and now these negotiations with China being another. Heck... didn't you just ask whether trump was succeeding with the deal with China?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Actually my post is a warning to Democrats. Don't be a hater or enjoy another four years.

Seriously, Democrats need to get out of this mode of fighting everything, even if they aren't as bad as obstructionists Republican Congresses.

People thought he would not take governing seriously, as well as me. He is trying to accomplish things

8. NewRoxFan

I will make sure to pass along your scary warning to the Democrat Party.

But LOL at your back-handed compliment to trump and his "trying to accomplish things". As if the potus should be given credit for "trying to do things". That really low bar is ridiculous... as if no president has ever "tried to accomplish things".

And what "things" is trump trying to accomplish? He is trying to overturn Roe v Wade and take away a woman's right to choose by abolishing abortion. He is trying to build a vanity wall between the United States and Mexico. He is trying to take away affordable health care coverage and return people to pre-ACA days of rising health care costs and a need to either not get health care or to over rely on ERs.

These are some of the things trump is "trying to accomplish".

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

I'm talking about all the he doesn't know what he is doing talk. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dude is doing what he promised to his voters.

He already has bills passed. If I say something like he is tryin. Don't respond with dumb **** like I'm dumbing down expectations. It's a waste of both our precious allotted time.

You're just saying childish **** to be argumentive as if this doesn't matter or it only takes a day to negotiate a trade agreement with our biggest trading partner.

Immature stupidity that makes Trump look like the adult in the room. Abd believe me, that's an accomplishment.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How many Trump Bucks does a car cost now?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

So you knew the Obama administration put tariffs on China already?

Congress diagrees.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Like ... Kim having nuke that can hit the us mainland?

Or are you talking about a meeting to talk about something that both sides are extremely far away from each other’s, assuming they even understand each other’s ? It’s a good step, but it’s step 1 of 1000.

Or what? Be specific.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know China doesn't lower tariffs. I know we are further than we've ever been in talks with North Korea.

I really don't care if Congresses disagrees with me or not

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wherever they are with their nukes isn't Trump's fault

15. NewRoxFan

Getting out my decoder ring... gee, even that doesn't help. Let me try google translate. Nope, nope, not any more clear.

Suggestion, after you write something and before you push "post reply" you should read it out loud. If it sounds funny then rewriting will be a good next step. Or raise your hand, and walk up to your teacher and have he/she read it over. Seems many people have a difficult with what you post here. So I don't think its just me.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not entirely true. NK likely accelerated their tests due to trump threats. But that’s entirely debatable. But however we got here , it directly mean we are NOT further along. We never been this worse off as we, the us mainland, have never been threaten by NK nuke until now. What we are trying to do is remove that threat. If and until that happen, we are no where with NK, but in a new state of dangerous threat.

Since you include no specifics, I’m assuming you have none.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Actually that came out well. But you are right in general, I should do more proofreading

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How about North Korea and South Korea actually talking after 70 years

Oh I forgot he had nothing to do with that

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not 70 years. The last time they met, prior to tgis year was in 2000. And that have to do with SK leaders.

20. dmoneybangbang

So you don’t care as long as Trump gets a win, no matter how small? You don’t care that Germany benefits more from China’s lowering of tariffs than the US.

You don’t care about the previous administration’s wins because you are ignorant about the issue.

Because you don’t care if ZTE is creating a security issue, as long as Trump “wins”.