1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers stadium vote fails, opens door for move to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agree.

Remember a few years ago there was some super preliminary plan / design to have a soccer stadium in the middle of town lake? it had something to do with/in conjunction with whatever they decide to do with the Austin Chronicle land.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2014-03-28/all-aboard-the-soccer-train/

lol.

I don't know about San Antonio economics wise. I just know as an Austinite I would absolutely support a team in San Antonio and probably go once a year.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This was an April Fools article. It's also the statesman peopery that you're referring to. It's actively being solicited. The statesman can pickup and go whenever the land is sold.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Here is the interview. It's about if the move was a bad call and what they can do moving forward. The idea of moving back was thrown out as some kind of bad option by the reporter. The headline from the interview is a bit of a stretch from what was said.
    https://omny.fm/shows/darren-smith-show/9-21-don-banks

It'll be interesting to see if the Chargers attendance is better this weekend since the Rams won't be playing at the same time like in week 2. I'm not sure how much that overlap would make a difference. How many people area going to watch both teams?

The season is close to lost for the Chargers now that they are 0-2. They needed to come out winning games.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many Chargers fans are there in LA?

I'd imagine it would be fans who already followed the team when they were in San Diego... not sure if they're going to generate new fans who are indigenous to LA teams (which would be Rams and the Raiders holdovers).

I'd bet there are more Raiders fans in LA than there are Chargers fans.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like as long as Spanos were forced out of the ownership the team would be welcomed back to San Diego. I bet a lot of Houstonians would've embraced the Oilers again if Bud Adams had been kicked to the curb.

DonnyMost likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unless the team is being grossly mis-managed from a financial and marketing standpoint... its extremely hard to force out an owner.

Much like the Oilers, San Diego agreed to refurbish Jack Murphy Stadium, only to have it be obsolete within 10 years of the renovation.

Renovating old football stadiums (or most stadiums) seems to be a half-measure that invariably can be conceived as a waste of money.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn,

San Diego rather ditch the Chargers and demolish Qualcomm
    and build a new stadium for SAN DIEGO STATE!

The Chargers have no fans

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

One was requiring public funding and threatening (ultimately following up on said threat) to leave. The other is a university who is using it's own money...and it's not like they can pick up and leave.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

well i heard people hate qualcomm and this looks way nicer than nothing being done

11. leroy

That's fine. I was pointing out that the 2 situations have nothing to do with one another...other than they both happen(ed) in San Diego.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Do people in San Diego like SDSU over the Chargers?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The LA market was always going to attract 2 teams.... whether by relocation or expansion. Once the Rams signed on, the Chargers (and the owners) had a legitimate choice between trying to get a new stadium in a market that is basically LA south, without a guarantee of long-term profitability... or go ahead and join up in the area which would have represented your biggest direct competition.

You add that the only likely way the Chargers get a new stadium in SD is by paying for it (as should be the case with ALL NFL owners), and that future profitability goes down further.

NFL football is largely a regional sport as is (unlike baseball or the NBA). The fans of neighboring regions do have the opportunity to attend the 8 home games on weekends, regardless of whether its right next door or requires a drive.

This is also why teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, Dolphins, Bucs, Niners can all build teams well away from their city centers.

DieHard Rocket likes this.
  14. leroy

Apparently so.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

that area is going to be mixed use besides the stadium and university. probably a good idea for real estate investment

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

From what I've read since they made the decision to move, the Chargers are and will remain the most unloved "home" team in the NFL. Visiting teams (and fans) will continue to more than make themselves at home at LA Stadium when the Chargers begin playing there.

Considering shared TV money is such a huge part of the revenue pie, weren't the Chargers guaranteed to be profitable no matter what? I suppose one can argue they will be more profitable as a stepchild in LA than loved in SD.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No radio revenues; probably starting out as the fifth most popular product after the NFL and Permanent Fund teams, and whichever non-Power conference program gets a bandwagon that year.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Too bad he co-founded and bankrolled and entire conference, helped design the salary cap and probably scared half the cities in the league to pay for new stadiums.