1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers stadium vote fails, opens door for move to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Chargers should just move to a renovated Astrodome then. Call them the Katy whatevers. It'll sellout and fans would be going bananas over it.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Estimates in order to make it a suitable NFL facility as well as for the rodeo. A rodeo specific facility would cost far less.... and would have very little public support should they request that the city needs to pay for it.

Again, its just flat-out improbable to suggest that a city would bend over backwards to publicly fund what would essentially be a private concert venue.

NRG exists as a publicly funded stadium thanks to there being an opportunity to secure an NFL expansion franchise, and subsequent super bowls, etc.

Comical... you're treating the rodeo like a sports franchise? Where there's only a finite amount of teams in a finite amount of cities? If Dallas wants a rodeo, they can organize and start one... much like how Houston's started (of course, they'd have to compete with FW's Stockyard, etc.).

The Rodeo needs Houston to exist... far more than Houston needs the rodeo.

Again, you have quite the specious reasoning to think that simply the creation of jobs and tax revenue is enough to warrant using public funds to build stadiums for private entities. If that were truly the case, every basketball and baseball stadium should pass all referendums for public funding with ease... plenty of jobs created, and far more dates than a football stadium.

But, until cities cumulatively put their foots down to not publicly finance these venues... there will always be another city ready to pony up, and bend over, to try and lure an NFL team away. (and once again, on no planet would this ever apply to the rodeo).

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Raiders moving too

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Heard general parking is $100. If your fans are down $100 before even walking in the door, you might be doing something wrong.

#105 leroy, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Going to an NFL game sounds like absolute torture. I have no idea who is paying this kind of money for an afternoon.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It takes time to build a fan base but this is pretty bad.

They were always going to need to build a winner to attract a fan base so losing their 1st game of the season wasn't going to push people to come see their home opener. Spending money to see a team you didn't have much interest in that's also terrible isn't something people are going to do. You need to win and it probably won't get much better until they do.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I say this all the time. The experience of being at a typical NFL game is not worth the money or the hassle, in my view. Totally fine watching from home or at a sports bar.

tinman likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I very much enjoy going to Texans games...but I've never paid for a ticket. I've been to about 8 games since moving back to Houston 3 years ago. They've always been given to me, including the parking. Having to pay for tickets might change my outlook on the situation.

SWTsig likes this.
  10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

same... the games are fun but i don't think i've once paid for a ticket, nor will i anytime soon. flat out isn't worth throwing down some ridiculous amount for club seats when i can enjoy it just as much at home or a bar.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks smaller than a high school football crowd

12. MystikArkitect

Grew up an NFL fan but man...the College Game just destroys the NFL from an experience standpoint. Doesn't help that the NFL has become a shell of what it used to be.

NFL is clenching its butt cheeks hoping the Raiders do well in Oakland because the Rams/Chargers is failing faster than we all thought.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Rams will survive and thrive, but everybody knows the Chargers are gone the moment they get a stadium deal elsewhere.

The only people going to those games are the few remaining die hards, the morbidly curious, and visiting team fans.

No reason for any sane person to be emotionally or financially investing in that team right now.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

San Antonio Chargers would certainly sell out regularly. But I think that ship has sailed.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to rebrand and ditch the Chargers name.

There should be 3 teams in Texas.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Saw this coming when they made the move to LA. That ******* Spanos effectively told their fanbase to "Kiss My Ass" so SD football fans would be absolute fools to travel 120 miles to watch that team play in LA. No surprise that they can't even fill a 30,000 seat stadium and it will only get worse when they move into the Kroenke palace.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I hear you. Up here in Dallas, it's a 3+ hour commute by car to JerryWorld in Arlington. There are no mass transit options. And once you get there there's literally NO place to park. All of the parking near the stadium is reserved for season ticket holders (who pay $80+) so folks end up parking over a mile away and walking to the stadium. Even then you'll end up paying $45+ for the "privilege". And that's just the beginning as the concession prices there are simply unreal. And unless you have seats in a suite or the lower bowl, you're stuck way up in the upper levels where you can't see the field so you end up watching that huge screen hanging over the field. In essence, you spend all of that time (and money) driving, finding parking and walking to/from the stadium to watch the game on TV.

macho87 and marks0223 like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seems like things are really heating up for the NFL.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I agree but there is not a realistic way to build a NFL stadium unless a city like San Marcos does it. It's cities that are growing, don't have bond fatigue and can see real value to the city with adding a facility like that. The issue with putting it in a place like San Marcos is that neither Austin or San Antonio identify with the team. There is no way Austin could ever pass a bond for a football stadium because of the massive amount of other needs the city has and I don't believe San Antonio could pass one either. I don't think Austin could support a NFL team because of the huge lack of corporate bases. It has 0 fortune 500 companies. To be fair, Dell is private but that is still very very low. You need deep pocket corporate bases who employ a massive workforce in order to support the massive amount of stadium sponsorships and suite rentals. Do we have enough satellite offices to rent out 200 stadium suites a year?

I adamantly disagree with the notion that McNair or Jerry could stop a 3rd team from going to Texas if there was a financed stadium ready to go. Jerry and Bob have power but lets not forget there are 30 other billionaires and they will vote for doing what's financially responsible for the league that that's not passing up a paid for stadium.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the notion that Austin would never pass a stadium bond. You're also correct that our corporate base is too small. The modern economics of the NFL would never allow a team to work here and, frankly, I can't think of a location near the center of the city for an NFL-sized stadium. Getting to and from a game near the Circuit of the Americas would be awful, as would any other location on serviced by one highway.