1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changing Carmelo Anthony's Shot Selection for the Rockets offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thought this was a really good read.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know there will be people commenting on the fact this is yet another Carmelo Anthony thread; BUT THANK YOU! I'm fiending for any Rockets news at this part of the off-season.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly Melo should spend from now until the start of the season shooting corner 3's only. It's suppose to be easiest 3 point shot in the game, and Ariza got take a whole lot of them.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It will also help him get his pump fake action going and dribble/reset for an "easy" jumper... something Ariza, Tucker, and Mbah ah Moute struggled with in our offense.

Versatility and premium shots are the key to beating the GSW and everyone else the NBA has to throw at us.

#5 FLASH21, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    RyanB likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So the Billion Dollar Question is whether we gonna weaponize Fit Melo, or is he gonna sit on his fat ass and sulk on social media?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The graphs in the article are great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the table shows (below), if Houston can alter Carmelo’s shot selection, they’ll also be able to get an additional 2.5 points from him on the same quantity of shots he saw in Oklahoma City. 2.5 points may not seem like a lot, but if everything else remains the same, an additional 2.5 points per game projects to an additional six wins.

[​IMG]

JuNx, Richie_Rich, jevjnd and 15 others like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Melo's rights to do whatever he wants were waived when he signed that contract with Houston. Past performances (e.g. the 25k points mentioned) don't mean **** because those 25k points didn't get him anywhere far.

Just like Chris Paul had to adapt to the system here when he came on board, Melo will have to do the same...or basically face career extinction in 2019.

9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I have always felt like our system and our leaders will help get him in good spots to get good looks off instead of trying to let him create his own shots. He will have those moments where he does his thing, but I think they will be few and far between in our system. you can;t deny the guy is a elite scorer, he just needs to be put in the right situations to use that skill. I'm very interested to see how he plays with James and Chris this year.

AXG, RyanB, dreamshakin and 5 others like this.
  10. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

Quality post and analysis @Deuce , thank you.
    People are making a mistake by looking at a player's production in one situation / team, and thinking everywhere's gonna be the same.... How did that work with Oladipo, huh?!

Melo is 19ppg scorer for 2018/2019 on a 46% FG, mark my words.

D-rock, RyanB, dreamshakin and 5 others like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

You absolutely can deny that he's an elite scorer. The only thing you can't deny is that he used to be an elite scorer. Whether we can get him close to excellent efficiency remains to be seen. I'm hopeful because the Rockets seem to be very good at this, while at the same time Melo shares a lot of the personality attributes that plagued the one guy we couldn't change: Dwight Howard.

IvanLCPM, Williamson, RyanB and 5 others like this.
  12. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

If you look at his first 7 games (october) with OKC last season, numbers were impressive:
    22.9ppg on a .465% FG (18.1 FGA), playing 33.4 mpg... Nice, right?

Wesbtbrook was trying to be a point guard, taking just 15.1 FGA during the month of October.

Than came the November and WB's FGA in 13 games jumped to 21.1 while having .380% FG, while Melo ended up taking 15.9 FGA, and much of that were out-of-rythm shots because of lack of point guards creativity and lack of coaching on that end of the floor.

He also had a personal family issues which certainly influenced his game.

D-rock, RyanB and Lawlruschang like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The system is already set, honestly there's really not much Melo needs to be think about on offense. We can run any play we've ran with Ryno with Melo, and Melo needs to camp out whereever Ariza camped out last season on the 3 point line.

I'm more worried about Melo on defense with switches than on offense which doesn't seem all that complicated.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hey, I'm going to make a chart comparing the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Houston Rockets, and color OKC as dark grey and Houston as deep blue. ..... what

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we can say CP is one of the most cerebral players out there and Alltime, him adapting so fast does not surprise anyone here.

But Melo going from 39 to 5% midrange would.

It all depends how efficient he is from the other spots.

The Projection numbers are a tad 'melo dramatic'.

While the 7% Paint number stays the same, I dun think so.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

Why to 5% ? He can reduce it to 20% and that would be OK, don't you think so?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was in the article. Adventurous. He has to grab more boards and enter the paint.

[​IMG]

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

I can bet anyone here that Midrange will be more than 5%. Dude is in the Top 5 Midrange scorers the game ever saw, and even though Rockets play different style, you always change a little bit if you have that kind of talent.

The key part will be him taking that midrange shot fast without too much dribbles or pump fakes etc, but I am sure with this system that won't be a problem.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This thread makes me chuckle, when I think back to past threads absolutely bashing Morey and his analytics.

People rarely even debate this anymore.

topfive, jevjnd, RyanB and 5 others like this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

“This isn’t basketball and we will never go anywhere playing this way”
    - waaaaaaay too many know it all clutchfans