1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Week 7

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 12, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wonder who will be fired first: Butch Jones or Mike Riley? Apparently Ohio State has scored a TD on their first 8 drives.

While my money is on Riley, it seems doubtful Jones gets to coach against Alabama.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

AP Top 25
    1. Alabama(61)
    2. Penn State
    3. Georgia
    4. TCU
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Ohio State
    7. Clemson
    8. Miami
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Oklahoma State
    11. USC
    12. Washington
    13. Notre Dame
    14. Virginia Tech
    15. Washington State
    16. South Florida
    17. NC State
    18. Michigan State
    19. Michigan
    20. UCF
    21. Auburn
    22. Stanford
    23. West Virginia
    24. LSU
    25. Memphis

Uprising likes this.
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The weeks without a ton of marquee games are typically the weirdest weeks, and that was the case this week for sure.

I didn't see a single second of the Clemson/Syracuse game, but in looking at highlights and the box score, it really looks like the only thing of note was the Kelly Bryant injury. Maybe there was more to it than that, but it's not as if Cuse forced a bunch of turnovers, which is often how these types of upsets occur. And it wasn't the type of upset that you would expect Syracuse to pull, either. They play that "basketball on grass" style, but with a 27-24 final score, it's not as if they got Clemson into a track meet in which the Tigers were prepared to compete.

Cal has been surprisingly competent this season, a season that I thought was going to be very much a rebuilding year for them, but I wouldn't have guessed they'd hold a WSU offense to three points.

The Arizona State win over Washington might be one of those wins that proves to be a double-edged sword for their fans. Many of them want Todd Graham gone, and things were very much headed in that direction after a 1-2 start (including a closer-than-was-comfortable win over NMSU), but wins in league play over Oregon and Washington have opened the door for him earning another year. They have games they should win against Oregon State and Colorado ahead, plus toss-ups with UCLA and Utah. A 7-5 record looks pretty likely and 8-4 isn't completely out of the question. That probably won't guarantee his return, but it sure makes the decision a lot tougher than if ASU had gone 5-7.

LSU, two weeks after everyone around that program freaked out about firing Coach O, beating Auburn, a team many were finally starting to accept might actually be pretty good, is pretty much the most "SEC in 2017" result ever. Can we just fast-forward to the Alabama/Georgia championship game?

There were also just a lot of really close quality games. Navy/Memphis, Miami/GT, Indiana/Michigan, Michigan St./Minnesota, USC/Utah, and OU/Texas were all nail-biters to different degrees.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Nebraska just hired Washington State AD Bill Moos, and I really love the idea of Moos firing Mike Riley and bringing Mike Leach to Lincoln. Not for football reasons, mind you, although I do enjoy the Air Raid and its derivatives, but more just for all of the inevitable hand-wringing from the Nebraska blue hairs about the program forsaking its roots to play an inferior form of football.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Buck Turgidson

He's not lying, he's always wanted to be in Baton Rouge. He's pure coonass. I can't help but root for him.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shame he wont be there for very long then, I guess.

8. Buck Turgidson

Maybe you farmers can hire him once the swagcopter crashes and burns?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nope, he's not HC material, fam.

10. Buck Turgidson

You misspelled "farm".

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sorry I misspelled your mom's address, fam.

12. Buck Turgidson

Right! Some little kid who "goes hard" with fam? (am I doing this stupid douche **** right?) may still grow up to be the 12TH swagcopter and worship a dog.