1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Week 14

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Nov 30, 2017.

1. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

They had a couple of great receivers go down. Fumagalli is an awesome tight end. Hornibrook was inconsistent at best all year. On defense, I didn’t get to see the first half, but it seemed like the linebackers kept getting caught up in traffic and the missed tackles killed them. I didn’t think that Barrett made it to the line on the 4th down play. And that would have been a huge momentum shift. They lost a game they had a shot to win. As a Badger fan, that stings. But there’s hope.

2. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I didn't know they had WRs go down so obviously that hurts. Being said, all teams have injuries. As far as the defense that is exactly what happened, but they were missing tackles bc the skill players on Ohio St were just better and more explosive. It was close, but the replays clearly showed Barrett reached the line to gain on that 4th down.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

This is what I don't get. Did Ohio State last year have that much better of a resume than Bama has this year? I know they beat OU out of conference last year, which was a strong win, but it really seems to me that the committee is being very inconstent with their methodology if they go with a 2 loss OSU over a 1 loss Bama this time. I guess the one argument against it would be having multiple teams from the same conference in the playoff but that's kind of a dumb reason not to include a team if you feel they're one of the four best teams.

Nook and smitheygerard like this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Referees decided this game. This should have been offsetting penalties.

[​IMG]

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

There is a strong media narrative being pushed that the Big 10 is a stronger and deeper conference than the SEC. I couldn't disagree more.

Typical Ohio St logic:

1. "Well Ohio St beat Penn St that was a #2 team in the country at the time. Alabama doesn't have the quality wins that Ohio St has." -- Alright let's use that logic. Alabama beat Florida St with Francois when they were ranked #3 before they fell apart due to injuries.

2. "The Big 10 is a deeper conference." -- LOL. Only bc of media bias and ESPN contracts. I guess Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois (yes this was Ohio St's schedule) are juggernauts!! Juggernauts I say!! Each of those teams would get demolished by a middle of the pack SEC team.

3. "Well Alabama's eye test resume looks worse now bc Auburn lost to Georgia. And Auburn was dominant on both sides of the ball in the Iron Bowl." -- Except that Georgia was dominated in even more impressive fashion when they played Auburn, and they are a definite playoff team. It's not easy to play in Jordan-Hare, and Auburn is a talented squad.

4. "Well Ohio St's only losses were to another playoff team in Oklahoma and an Iowa team that nearly beat Penn St and was ranked this season." -- Except they didn't just lose to Iowa, they got absolutely manhandled. Torn to pieces. Then Iowa went in the tank after that game so if we are going to use the same argument "it weakens the resume" even more.

5. "Conference championship should mean something. We are conference champions. Alabama didn't even win their division." -- Ohhhh that's right. So EXACTLY the same way Ohio St made it in last season...?! Right

The last one is my absolute favorite logic. Gets me every time.

plutoblue11 and Nook like this.
  6. the shark

the shark Member

Ohio St got their A$$ kicked by Iowa 55-24.

They have lost twice (Bama once).

Bama is more deserving than the Buckeyes (IMO)

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Conference championship SHOULD MATTERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Nook

Nook Member

Bama is better than Ohio State. Really seems like an obvious decision.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Obviously we know who I hope makes it :)

the shark likes this.
  10. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I just hate Joey Galloway.

"Alabama shouldn't make the playoffs because Fresno state lost and therefore their resume is weaker".

Seriously, wtf.

smitheygerard likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Three things:

1) it sure didn't matter last yr for Ohio St

2) not for a team who not only loss but got the **** BEAT OUT OF THEM BY 31 pts.

3) not for a team who has two losses compared to one like Bama

Nook likes this.
  12. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

LMAO, read my previous posts!! That was pure sarcasm...

I literally made all of the same points and then some.

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

When does this get announced?

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

It's astonishing that Ohio St is being considered but USC isn't even looked at? Pretty similar resume's and USC losses were both on the road.

The committee better not screw this up or it's completely rigged.

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Go to ESPN now.

16. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Oh I know but like when exactly? Are they gonna drag this out till 3?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh well.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good to see they got it right.

smitheygerard likes this.
  19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

YESSSSSSSSSS

20. smitheygerard